MeG@Am

D160 - Listing social media accounts

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello!

I know we are still far off to preparing to interview, but I saw a post in facebook about listing your social media accounts during the application for D160.  So it made me think about me and fiancé's case.  I (petitioner) use FB and IG, however, my fiancé (beneficiary) does not.  Will that affect the chance in getting the approval?

Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
1 hour ago, MeG@Am said:

Hello!

I know we are still far off to preparing to interview, but I saw a post in facebook about listing your social media accounts during the application for D160.  So it made me think about me and fiancé's case.  I (petitioner) use FB and IG, however, my fiancé (beneficiary) does not.  Will that affect the chance in getting the approval?

Thank you!

Nope

Ds160 is for beneficiary and if they don't use social media then that's that.

• Jan 26, 2021 = NOA 1 for I-129F (K1 Visa application)
  • Sep 8, 2021 = NOA 2 for I-129F (K1 Visa application)
  • Nov 16, 2021 =  K1 visa issued in Islamabad, Pakistan
  • Jan 20, 2022 = POE Dallas, Texas
  • Feb 14, 2022 = AOS (I-451, I-131, I765) Filed
  • Feb 20, 2022 = Receipt notice for all three received
  • March 21, 2022 = Biometrics in Dallas, Texas
  • August 9, 2022 = EAD (I-751 approved)
  • August 13, 2022 = EAD and SSN received (SSN applied with EAD)
  • September 6, 2022 = AP (I-131 approved)
  • September 13, 2022 = AP (I-131 receieved) 
  • March 15, 2023 = I-485 approved (interview waived, New SSN received without DHS wording)
  • March 31, 2023 = GC in hand (Total time from NOA-1 to GC in hand 794 days)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
4 minutes ago, mitzab said:

Nope

Ds160 is for beneficiary and if they don't use social media then that's that.

Btw  Faebook has a lot of misinformation and not to be taken seriously

Not on the DS160 but at interview the CO can ask the bene to do a ds5535 which wants all social media ,   cell #'s used,  travel history,  names of siblings, etc

The DS-5535 is used whenever the U.S. consulate wants to conduct additional checks on the visa application – beyond the information provided in the standard application form. ... Based on the information provided, the U.S. consulate then makes a final decision on the visa application.Jan 21, 2021

Timeline
46 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Btw  Faebook has a lot of misinformation and not to be taken seriously

Not on the DS160 but at interview the CO can ask the bene to do a ds5535 which wants all social media ,   cell #'s used,  travel history,  names of siblings, etc

The DS-5535 is used whenever the U.S. consulate wants to conduct additional checks on the visa application – beyond the information provided in the standard application form. ... Based on the information provided, the U.S. consulate then makes a final decision on the visa application.Jan 21, 2021

You are absolutely correct 👏 

• March 15, 2023 = I-485 approved (interview waived, New SSN received without DHS wording)

Timeline

I want to elaborate the fact which the OP stated, if the beneficiary doesn't have social media accounts than that's all they should answer. Does not take away the fact that they might get asked at the interview to provide other relevant or irrelevant information.

Timeline
9 hours ago, mitzab said:

I want to elaborate the fact which the OP stated, if the beneficiary doesn't have social media accounts than that's all they should answer. Does not take away the fact that they might get asked at the interview to provide other relevant or irrelevant information.

pretty hard to say "no social media "  when we are trying to prove 

how we met as many meet thru media

how they communicate daily or monthly from afar

who has house phones anymore besides me?

and who could afford to call on house phone regular ?

know anyone who doesn't have an email (now or ever) ?

social media is the way all of us keep in touch with foreign partners

and the ds 5535 ask for more that social media

it is travel in last 15 years

cell phone #'s of all living in the house in case bene uses phones of others

all siblings names and addresses

and so much more / it is a very thorough background of information to check

Facebook has 2.9 Billion users

and VK out of Russia has 649,016,600

Timeline
1 minute ago, Kor2USA said:

I didn't met my partner via social media (we met through friends) and we keep in touch via Whatsapp (not a social media app)

I also know some couples meet via computer games or dating apps (which are not considered social media)

So, it is completely possible OP's partner does not have social media but, can still prove they met and communicate via the internet and messaging services. 

With its extensive social features, WhatsApp is considered a social media platform. WhatsApp is used by over a billion users every month to send text messages, photos/videos, etc. In a nutshell, WhatsApp is a messaging/social networking app that falls under the social media category.Oct 9, 2021

Timeline

I assisted a VJ member to fill out a ds5535 and i called USCIS and talked to tier 2 person

she looked at a definiton given to her on the subject

Social media is anytime a person uses cell phone or computer  to correspond or look up information instead of face to face

(even house phone # has to be included on phone list for the ds 5535)

and the drop down list is only a few of them

Call an embassy or USCIS and ask to speak to Tier 2 

this is what she sent me  u will see even trip advisor is a type of social media

What are the 4 types of social media?

Different Types of Social Media Networks
  • Social Networks: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn.
  • Media Sharing Networks: Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube.
  • Discussion Forums: Reddit, Quora, Digg.
  • Bookmarking & Content Curation Networks: Pinterest, Flipboard.
  • Consumer Review Networks: Yelp, Zomato, TripAdviso

All the latest stats for social media use around the world, including active user numbers for Facebook, Instagram, WeChat, TikTok, WhatsApp, and many more.

12 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

I assisted a VJ member to fill out a ds5535 and i called USCIS and talked to tier 2 person

she looked at a definiton given to her on the subject

Social media is anytime a person uses cell phone or computer  to correspond or look up information instead of face to face

(even house phone # has to be included on phone list for the ds 5535)

and the drop down list is only a few of them

Call an embassy or USCIS and ask to speak to Tier 2 

this is what she sent me  u will see even trip advisor is a type of social media

What are the 4 types of social media?

Different Types of Social Media Networks
  • Social Networks: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn.
  • Media Sharing Networks: Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube.
  • Discussion Forums: Reddit, Quora, Digg.
  • Bookmarking & Content Curation Networks: Pinterest, Flipboard.
  • Consumer Review Networks: Yelp, Zomato, TripAdviso

All the latest stats for social media use around the world, including active user numbers for Facebook, Instagram, WeChat, TikTok, WhatsApp, and many more.

I was answering you question about how it completely possible OP's partner does not have social media as defined by the DS160 but is still able to communicate with the USC partner. 

If instead we are jumping straight to the DS5535, I defer to your experience helping other members complete that form. But, it would be very scary to know that not being on any of the initial apps listed in the DS160 would automatically trigger a DS5535. I then assume VisaJourney could also be included in the list of Social Media Apps... 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Kor2USA said:

I was answering you question about how it completely possible OP's partner does not have social media as defined by the DS160 but is still able to communicate with the USC partner. 

If instead we are jumping straight to the DS5535, I defer to your experience helping other members complete that form. But, it would be very scary to know that not being on any of the initial apps listed in the DS160 would automatically trigger a DS5535. I then assume VisaJourney could also be included in the list of Social Media Apps... 

yep , VJ would be one

and u said Faccebook said social media is on ds 160/  it's not

and the ds 160 or ds 260 do not trigger the need for embassy to know social media 

and u don't put social media on those forms / only if u want notices sent to an email ID do u list one

usually the ds 160 and ds 260 say enough without the prompting any further info

that is totally up to the embassy CO to ask for additional information and to fill out the ds 5535

and the ds 5535 is a rough one to have to fill out / thank God it doesn't ask for passwords

and thank God we didn't have to do one/  my memory is gone for passwords and this BS

10 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

yep , VJ would be one

and u said Faccebook said social media is on ds 160/  it's not

and the ds 160 or ds 260 do not trigger the need for embassy to know social media 

and u don't put social media on those forms / only if u want notices sent to an email ID do u list one

usually the ds 160 and ds 260 say enough without the prompting any further info

that is totally up to the embassy CO to ask for additional information and to fill out the ds 5535

and the ds 5535 is a rough one to have to fill out / thank God it doesn't ask for passwords

and thank God we didn't have to do one/  my memory is gone for passwords and this BS

Unfortunately, social media is now on the DS160 and the DS260. The screenshots I shared earlier are from the travel.state.gov page.

I believe that is an official US government page? Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

I remembering reading about the change a few years back... 

https://www.rferl.org/a/new-u-s-visa-rules-may-push-foreigners-to-censor-their-posts/30005463.html 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Kor2USA said:

Unfortunately, social media is now on the DS160 and the DS260. The screenshots I shared earlier are from the travel.state.gov page.

I believe that is an official US government page? Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

I remembering reading about the change a few years back... 

https://www.rferl.org/a/new-u-s-visa-rules-may-push-foreigners-to-censor-their-posts/30005463.html 

The date on that article is June 2019 when Trump introduced the ds 5535 / 

do u have example of today's ds 160 to see if they incorporated all these questions on a new ds 160?

have not heard of this yet?  but very interested !!!!

as we just helped  my MIL apply for tourist visa  and i didn't see these questions on the form so wondering if a tourist visa has different questions of ds 160 than someone who applies for K1 or worker ???? or other 

the ds 160 is what is filled out for tourist visa / that is the application

Edited by JeanneAdil

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.