ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

~~As he tittle says it lets keep the  DS-5535 discussion here. It's newish and not much known why or who ends up with one. Keeping to this thread will help each other who is going through this while keeping the DQ thread on topic.~~

Cool…I am still working on this bloody Ds-5535!

Timeline
2 hours ago, Twiz&Toz said:

You can always get a copy of you crossing dates from the border too if needed.they should have them on file not sure how long it takes to get the copy. As for addresses I’m sure if u stayed at a hotel a google search would work to find them. E.g. u went to Florida to Disney world. 

Strangely, my I-94 travel record only shows stuff back to 2015…that leaves only like 9 other years to account for…

Timeline
9 hours ago, ice-qube said:

Strangely, my I-94 travel record only shows stuff back to 2015…that leaves only like 9 other years to account for…

That’s normal. I-94 records only go back 5 years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
14 hours ago, jercanuck said:

But in Canada at least, they keep the expired ones unless you specifically ask for them to return it to you.  So, one could argue that is not possible to do. 

I always ask for it back or you could scan the pages and save in case needed.  

13 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Interesting, because Canada even asks citizenship applicants to submit photocopies of every page of all passports (expired and unexpired) held in the last 5 years.

I remember needing to submit for past 10 years for my permanent residency applciation.

The DS-260 needed my addresses from the time I was 16...there were numerous, so the passports don't seem that out of the ordinary to ask for, especially within a 5yr window.  

I will say what this whole process has taught us is to record keep like we never imagined we'd need to.  We have a travel spreadsheet that we updated for when we leave the country now because who knows when USCIS is going to ask for something like it.  Such a daunting task to work backwards and only gets worse, the more birthdays and levels up you've made it!

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
1 hour ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

That’s normal. I-94 records only go back 5 years.

According to the CBP site, it goes back 10 years, but it matters not, that would still leave a gap even if they were right. I have managed to cobble together the full history using multiple sources.

Timeline
45 minutes ago, mam521 said:

I always ask for it back or you could scan the pages and save in case needed.  

The DS-260 needed my addresses from the time I was 16...there were numerous, so the passports don't seem that out of the ordinary to ask for, especially within a 5yr window.  

I will say what this whole process has taught us is to record keep like we never imagined we'd need to.  We have a travel spreadsheet that we updated for when we leave the country now because who knows when USCIS is going to ask for something like it.  Such a daunting task to work backwards and only gets worse, the more birthdays and levels up you've made it!

Tell me about it...I am an Indian citizen, and our passports do not allow visa free entry to majority of countries. As someone who likes to travel, that means, I have need to fill up innumerable visa application forms, some of which require your detailed travel history going back 10 years. I have been diligently keeping a spreadsheet with all my travels since 2010 lol...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
12 hours ago, ice-qube said:

Lol like it is my fault that the US govt’s border records are incomplete?

You can do a FOI request to CBP to request your full travel history that goes beyond what the I-94 site has.

https://foiaonline.gov/foiaonline/action/public/home

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

10Y GC Received: 05/11/2024

N-400 Submitted: 05/15/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Timeline
3 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Tell me about it...I am an Indian citizen, and our passports do not allow visa free entry to majority of countries. As someone who likes to travel, that means, I have need to fill up innumerable visa application forms, some of which require your detailed travel history going back 10 years. I have been diligently keeping a spreadsheet with all my travels since 2010 lol...

When you filled this form, how did you describe your sources of funds? I have just put "self", because that is true--but what is sufficient on this thing?

Timeline
7 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

When you filled this form, how did you describe your sources of funds? I have just put "self", because that is true--but what is sufficient on this thing?

I haven’t filled the DS-5535. I am yet to interview. I was talking about visitor visa applications to other countries and PR application for Canada.

That being said, I believe “self” should be sufficient.

I imagine what they are looking to see is if any Govt or private organisation related to military/ weapons etc funded your trip.

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

5 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

I put "me" and said briefly where I got the funds (eg, line of credit, income from so and so job, etc)...not sure if that was necessary, since there are no templates for us to turn to to verify if our information is sufficient. It's just hearsay.

I hate the fact that they don't give us any feedback as to why we were flagged for this, or provide any support for us to get this to them correctly. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, DrJanko10 said:

I put "me" and said briefly where I got the funds (eg, line of credit, income from so and so job, etc)...not sure if that was necessary, since there are no templates for us to turn to to verify if our information is sufficient. It's just hearsay.

I hate the fact that they don't give us any feedback as to why we were flagged for this, or provide any support for us to get this to them correctly. 

I really would not be able to identify if the source of funds was, per se, credit or cash or savings or whatever for most of these things. Ultimately, is that the 'source' they are talking about, the method of payment? Method of payment is not a source per se, in the meaning of the word that I interpret it. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.