Hawk Riders

part IV, the big IR1/CR1 DQ'd message group...

3,005 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, EC&IC said:

Just an update—we successfully crossed the border on Saturday, my green card was no issue (although they asked twice to see my packet, and we had to show them the letter that came with my passport, saying the packet was electronic!), but we had to wait two hours at the border and in the end could not import our car...

We had read the threads about successfully importing a car without a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system), since that is the one difference between American and Canadian RAV4s, but our after-market system bought on Amazon didn't make the cut. The border agent told us Toyota Canada was wrong in telling us it was impossible to install, so we had to have it done *by Toyota* before we could import it, but my husband was told yesterday by Toyota in Idaho that they couldn't do it. They even called engineers at the main office, because it seems so absurd. So we will have to go back to Canada (a 12-hour drive to the closest border), sell our paid-off, perfectly good car at a loss, and buy a car here in the US...

Just letting you guys know, in case you got a conformity letter that mentions the TPMS. I guess some people got lucky and were able to import their car, but if you aren't one of those, it becomes a mess. From what we understand, until we can get a car registered in the US, our “residency” situation is complicated—we can't give up our residency in Canada since that's where our car is insured. So we'll have to deal with this ASAP. What we should have done is sell our car while we were still in Canada, and have my (American) husband cross the border to buy a car in the US before our move. This is such an absurd situation and reason for trouble. A tire pressure monitoring system!

But oh well. At least we're here! Good luck to everyone!

Its really frustrating situation with these border officers to get lucky in such situations. Maybe you can try to cross via another border office where they might consider after-market system bought one. I think some VJ member/s tried couple times before they could import it successfully.

We eventually have to import our Toyota as well and this makes me nervous about it though I bought the car in US before moving to Canada ( it already has self built TPMS) 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, ACC24 said:

Its really frustrating situation with these border officers to get lucky in such situations. Maybe you can try to cross via another border office where they might consider after-market system bought one. I think some VJ member/s tried couple times before they could import it successfully.

We eventually have to import our Toyota as well and this makes me nervous about it though I bought the car in US before moving to Canada ( it already has self built TPMS) 

Yeah, we’re just not sure we want to do the long drive just to be denied again. It would be one thing if we were living close to multiple borders, but we're too far. Although it might be our plan A—first try again to import the car, but if it doesn't work, we'll drive to a Toyota dealership in Canada... Although my husband said that according to what he read, even if they let us in, they're in the wrong, and we might get stuck later. Not sure!

If you bought your car in the US, you shouldn't have a problem! But I understand the nervousness!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Does the embassy only send ILs once per month? Like around the 15th? That's just kind of what I've been noticing and wondering if that's real.

We were DQ'd Jan 27th and noticed that other people who were DQ'd Jan 11th got their IL March 16th. I was hoping that we might get our IL last week or this week since that would seem chronological, but now I'm wondering if we won't hear until April 15th.

Thanks for all your help!

4 minutes ago, DijonMustard said:

Hi everyone,

Does the embassy only send ILs once per month? Like around the 15th? That's just kind of what I've been noticing and wondering if that's real.

We were DQ'd Jan 27th and noticed that other people who were DQ'd Jan 11th got their IL March 16th. I was hoping that we might get our IL last week or this week since that would seem chronological, but now I'm wondering if we won't hear until April 15th.

Thanks for all your help!

Interview letters seem to get sent out once per month, over the course of 2 or 3 days. The timing of the letters seems to change but generally seems to be either around the middle of the month, or close to the end of the month.

It sounds like you missed the current batch but wish you good luck for April!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
Just now, thenextman said:

Interview letters seem to get sent out once per month, over the course of 2 or 3 days. The timing of the letters seems to change but generally seems to be either around the middle of the month, or close to the end of the month.

It sounds like you missed the current batch but wish you good luck for April!

That's what I was thinking as well. I'm just hoping we'll still be scheduled in May and not pushed back to June. Fingers freaking crossed.

Hi guys,

I was just wandering if anyone is going through same situation I am in for the past 7 weeks?

I had my interview January 11th 2023 in Montreal and sadly the RCMP criminal record I did in Edmonton was the wrong one which I was sent home with my passport and asked to send in the correct one with my passport when ever I get it and was told they will email me a DS-5535 form which I got, completed same day and emailed back to the consulate.

February 8th my passport together with the correct criminal record from the RCMP was delivered by to the US consulate at 10:00am

My case was lastly updated March 6th still showing Refused thou.

Today is March 30th 2023 I have been stuck in Montreal. Does anyone have an idea how long this take? My wife heavily pregnant alone at home in Minnesota.

Thanks.

Timeline

I had my interview January 9th 2023 in Montreal and my RCMP criminal record check  I did in Timmins was the wrong application. I was sent home with no passport as they kept it and asked to send an updated  criminal record check from the local police station in Timmins. I updated my CRC at the police station and they were sent to RCMP in Ottawa that day. Today is day 80 and I haven't received my documents in the mail yet.  RCMP finally notified me on March 9th via email as they won't answer phone calls anymore, that my CRC is being processed and apologized for the inconvenience.

I noticed @Selfmade received his update less than a month back from RCMP and he had his interview same time as me.

Has anybody had the same issue as me ?

Thanks

Hi PM HANK, Am not sure why you haven’t received your police records yet.

I did mine in Montreal at a local fingerprinting  office that the rcmp directed me to immediately after my interview and it was mailed to me back in less than 2 weeks.

looks like we are in the same struggle here,  but difference being mine got to me and I mailed it with a tracking # to the consulate with my passport since February 6th.  It was received February 8th at 11:00 am. I haven’t heard anything from the US consulate, But my file was lastly updated February March 16th yet still saying Refused.

Honestly this process is very depressing and challenging.

just praying for a miracle. My twins keep asking Daddy when are you coming home? And I have nothing to tell them.

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 3/30/2023 at 8:40 AM, EC&IC said:

Yeah, we’re just not sure we want to do the long drive just to be denied again. It would be one thing if we were living close to multiple borders, but we're too far. Although it might be our plan A—first try again to import the car, but if it doesn't work, we'll drive to a Toyota dealership in Canada... Although my husband said that according to what he read, even if they let us in, they're in the wrong, and we might get stuck later. Not sure!

If you bought your car in the US, you shouldn't have a problem! But I understand the nervousness!

Can you try at an airport near you that has a POE to avoid the drive?

I'm wanting to share my final experience in case someone finds it useful. I also updated my timeline.

March 8th:

- Medical at Telus Montreal

March 16th:

- Interviewed at consulate in Montreal.

- Officer explained he intends to approve my visa, but hasn't received the medical results yet.

- Case updated on CEAC ("Refused")

March 21st:

- Telus tells me over the phone that they submitted my results to the consulate

March 23rd:

- Telus sends a confirmation email that my results were submitted to the consulate, with vaccine information

March 24:

- This happened early (like, before the consulate office hours), so I have to assume this was my medical results "entering the system"

March 28:

March 29:

- Case updated on CEAC ("Ready", then "Issued")

March 30:

- Received tracking information from Canada Post

March 31:

- Passport ready for pick up at Canada Post in Montreal

April 2:

- Entered the US by air from Montreal.

Lessons learned:

- Telus say 5 business days for medical results on the phone, but the actuality is that they take 10-15 business days.

- It wasn't a big delay for that but certainly added stress and annoyance

- Entering by air was very straightforward, an extra 5-10 minutes in secondary screening (they even seemed to bump me to the front of the line). Usual annoyances with airport screening and immigration lines apply.

- The border office didn't stamp my visa which seems irregular? I didn't think about it until later.

The users and shared information in this forum helped me keep my sanity, especially over the last 6 months of this process. This is the fourth and hopefully last time I tackle foreign immigration (Canadian PR, Canadian citizenship, Canadian PR for Mrs TheNextman, US IR1) and certainly the longest and most difficult. I couldn't have got this far without you guys! Congratulations to all who received their visas already and good luck to those still waiting!

Timeline
1 minute ago, thenextman said:

I'm wanting to share my final experience in case someone finds it useful. I also updated my timeline.

March 8th:

- Medical at Telus Montreal

March 16th:

- Interviewed at consulate in Montreal.

- Officer explained he intends to approve my visa, but hasn't received the medical results yet.

March 21st:

- Telus tells me over the phone that they submitted my results to the consulate

March 23rd:

- Telus sends a confirmation email that my results were submitted to the consulate, with vaccine information

March 24:

- This happened early (like, before the consulate office hours), so I have to assume this was my medical results "entering the system"

March 28:

March 29:

- Case updated on CEAC ("Ready", then "Issued")

March 30:

- Received tracking information from Canada Post

March 31:

- Passport ready for pick up at Canada Post in Montreal

April 2:

- Entered the US by air from Montreal.

Lessons learned:

- Telus say 5 business days for medical results on the phone, but the actuality is that they take 10-15 business days.

- It wasn't a big delay for that but certainly added stress and annoyance

- Entering by air was very straightforward, an extra 5-10 minutes in secondary screening (they even seemed to bump me to the front of the line). Usual annoyances with airport screening and immigration lines apply.

- The border office didn't stamp my visa which seems irregular? I didn't think about it until later.

The users and shared information in this forum helped me keep my sanity, especially over the last 6 months of this process. This is the fourth and hopefully last time I tackle foreign immigration (Canadian PR, Canadian citizenship, Canadian PR for Mrs TheNextman, US IR1) and certainly the longest and most difficult. I couldn't have got this far without you guys! Congratulations to all who received their visas already and good luck to those still waiting!

Congratulations!!! I was wondering when you would update us!

I don't know much about stamping, but I seem to remember him telling me that the visa + the stamp were my temporary green card, until I received it by mail. But a quick online search seems to indicate that even without a stamp, you don't have a problem. I would look into it if I were you, but I don't think you need to worry. Congratulations, fellow permanent resident!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your stories so far. This forum is really useful.

I am a US citizen and filed a I-130 at the US Consulate General in Toronto for my Canadian wife and baby on January 4, 2023. They accepted our documents and said they would be sent to Montreal for further processing, so we have been waiting for our Packet 3 and Packet 4 (IL?) - see below. I thought we would have been considered DQ'd on January 4, but it looks like people who DQ'd January 11 have received ILs. We have not received any information from Montreal (not for lack of trying...) and are very stressed about the situation now as I am in the US for work and my wife/baby had to go back to Canada. So a few questions:

1. How do we know if we are DQ'd? When I left the Consulate in Toronto on January 4, they just gave me a piece of paper saying what the next steps are (but I don't have a case number or USCIS receipt number) 

2. Has anyone been able to get information from the Consulate in Montreal pre-IL (and how)? 

3. Is anyone else going through this process of Packet 3 and Packet 4 (see below)? Are we not DQ'd yet?

The paper Toronto gave me says the following:

- "It might take 1-2 months, depending on the case, before the I-130 is fully approved"

- "The consular staff in Montreal will create an IV case file 4-6 weeks after receiving your I-130 petition, and assign a case number beginning with "MTL." Montreal will then send a packet of IV information (Packet 3) to the beneficiary's home (or e-mail address if there is one) listed on the I-130 petition. The Packet 3 can only be sent after the petition is approved. The beneficiary should complete and email back to Montreal the checklist and DS260 confirmation pages in Packet 3 as soon as possible."

- "Once Montreal has received the forms and checklist requested in Packet 3, the case is ready for interview scheduling. Montreal will sent the beneficiary or his/her designated representative another letter (Packet 4) with instructions to obtain photographs, complete a medical examination from one of our approved panel physicians, and schedule a visa interview appointment."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
14 hours ago, lepain said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your stories so far. This forum is really useful.

I am a US citizen and filed a I-130 at the US Consulate General in Toronto for my Canadian wife and baby on January 4, 2023. They accepted our documents and said they would be sent to Montreal for further processing, so we have been waiting for our Packet 3 and Packet 4 (IL?) - see below. I thought we would have been considered DQ'd on January 4, but it looks like people who DQ'd January 11 have received ILs. We have not received any information from Montreal (not for lack of trying...) and are very stressed about the situation now as I am in the US for work and my wife/baby had to go back to Canada. So a few questions:

1. How do we know if we are DQ'd? When I left the Consulate in Toronto on January 4, they just gave me a piece of paper saying what the next steps are (but I don't have a case number or USCIS receipt number) 

2. Has anyone been able to get information from the Consulate in Montreal pre-IL (and how)? 

3. Is anyone else going through this process of Packet 3 and Packet 4 (see below)? Are we not DQ'd yet?

The paper Toronto gave me says the following:

- "It might take 1-2 months, depending on the case, before the I-130 is fully approved"

- "The consular staff in Montreal will create an IV case file 4-6 weeks after receiving your I-130 petition, and assign a case number beginning with "MTL." Montreal will then send a packet of IV information (Packet 3) to the beneficiary's home (or e-mail address if there is one) listed on the I-130 petition. The Packet 3 can only be sent after the petition is approved. The beneficiary should complete and email back to Montreal the checklist and DS260 confirmation pages in Packet 3 as soon as possible."

- "Once Montreal has received the forms and checklist requested in Packet 3, the case is ready for interview scheduling. Montreal will sent the beneficiary or his/her designated representative another letter (Packet 4) with instructions to obtain photographs, complete a medical examination from one of our approved panel physicians, and schedule a visa interview appointment."

Hi there and welcome.  

Please fill out your timeline here: https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=445999

Did you attempt Direct Consular Filing (DCF)?  If so, that's a bit different but I also wouldn't hold my breath because Canada is traditionally slow to begin with and it's pretty rare that DCF is allowed.  

If not DCF,  here is a guide to the I-130 process.  You'll file the I-130 which goes through USCIS and will take around 15mo for approval.  After that is approved, your petition will be sent to NVC where the DS-260 will have to be filled out and approved before you'll be on the waiting list for an interview.  Montreal is the only consulate that does spousal interviews in Canada.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.