Hawk Riders

part IV, the big IR1/CR1 DQ'd message group...

3,005 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

Just want to confirm that I don't need to obtain a US police certificate during the time I spent there as a university student in the US?  I am DQ'd and didn't require one for NVC, but not sure if I needed one for the interview just to be safe.  And if so, what's the best way to apply for one?

Thank you for the helpful answers as always!
Amanda

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
16 minutes ago, ajxl888 said:

Hi Everyone,

Just want to confirm that I don't need to obtain a US police certificate during the time I spent there as a university student in the US?  I am DQ'd and didn't require one for NVC, but not sure if I needed one for the interview just to be safe.  And if so, what's the best way to apply for one?

Thank you for the helpful answers as always!
Amanda

Confirmed that’s not required. I worked in the US for a number of years and didn’t have a police certificate, and they did not request it at my interview. 

34 minutes ago, Beefybabygirl said:

My visa got approved and issued today! My case was in administrative processing for a total of 5 business days. Don’t know when my tracking number will come in, does it usually take 24hrs for them to send an email?

thank you all for your help and support this past year and a half. this forum has been the only thing that gave me hope waiting all this time ❤️ 

Congrats - that's amazing news!

Hello everyone

The group has been so helpful and forthcoming with advice, I thought I'd ask for a little more (or maybe just reassurance as I prepare for my interview on Thursday).

I have the complete documentation asked for on the "interview prep" page from the Montreal consulate.

Based on things I've read here, I've also just been adding to the documents on the CEAC portal (using the "add additional document" button):

- Updated police certificate (since my old one was "invalidated" by becoming the wrong type)

- Updated I-864 from my wife (petitioner)

• Updated Canadian bank statements from myself (the applicant) to correspond with declared assets
  • Letter from my employer offering continuity of my employment as a US permanent resident

- Updated I-864 from my co-sponsor

• I-864A from my co-sponsor's spouse (the only other household member, NVC never asked for this before)
  • Form W2 for 2021 and 2022 (previously uploaded 2020)

I'll carry a paper copy of everything, plus my co-sponsor's 2021 tax return in full (previously uploaded the 2020 return)

Are there any other documents that might be important?

I've travelled to the US twice since completing the DS-260. It looks like I can modify the DS-260 "in-place" on the CEAC website, should I do that? Or perhaps document the travel some other way... My entries don't show on the I-94 site and I don't have time to complete a FOI request. Perhaps just typed on a sheet of paper? Any advice?

As usual I'm surely just overthinking things, but it's hard to not be nervous. Despite being married for 6 years with two children, the whole process feels so judgemental and arbitrary... I'll be glad once it's over!

Thanks and good luck,

5 hours ago, thenextman said:

Hello everyone

The group has been so helpful and forthcoming with advice, I thought I'd ask for a little more (or maybe just reassurance as I prepare for my interview on Thursday).

I have the complete documentation asked for on the "interview prep" page from the Montreal consulate.

Based on things I've read here, I've also just been adding to the documents on the CEAC portal (using the "add additional document" button):

- Updated police certificate (since my old one was "invalidated" by becoming the wrong type)

• Updated Canadian bank statements from myself (the applicant) to correspond with declared assets
  • Letter from my employer offering continuity of my employment as a US permanent resident

• I-864A from my co-sponsor's spouse (the only other household member, NVC never asked for this before)

I'll carry a paper copy of everything, plus my co-sponsor's 2021 tax return in full (previously uploaded the 2020 return)

I've travelled to the US twice since completing the DS-260. It looks like I can modify the DS-260 "in-place" on the CEAC website, should I do that? Or perhaps document the travel some other way... My entries don't show on the I-94 site and I don't have time to complete a FOI request. Perhaps just typed on a sheet of paper? Any advice?

As usual I'm surely just overthinking things, but it's hard to not be nervous. Despite being married for 6 years with two children, the whole process feels so judgemental and arbitrary... I'll be glad once it's over!

Thanks and good luck 

Just follow the list in the link they sent with your interview email. There is no requirement to update things in CEAC once you have been Dq'd, unless the NVC folks asked you for something, leave it alone. 

You do not  need to do FOIA or I-94 requests etc. Don't bother with any of that, if they ask about any recent trips you did you just tell them, that is it.

Timeline
8 hours ago, thenextman said:

The immigrating spouse needs to fill out and submit a I-864A if you are depending on his/her continued employment or assets to be used in the calculation of income.  (This does not apply if the assets are in the sponsor's name.) This seems backward to require a contract between spouses in such a case, but that's the way it is.  We learned the hard way, and they calculated my $60000 income at $0 for lack of a I-864A.

Timeline
3 hours ago, ShawnK said:

There is no requirement to update things in CEAC once you have been Dq'd, unless the NVC folks asked you for something, leave it alone.

There is no official requirement to update in CEAC, but if you get the right (wrong) interviewing officer, he may have made up his mind before you get a chance to hand over the documents at the interview.  If you want him to see the document, upload it ahead of time.  You've been waiting long enough; no need to take unnecessary chances.

1 hour ago, Family One said:

The immigrating spouse needs to fill out and submit a I-864A if you are depending on his/her continued employment or assets to be used in the calculation of income.  (This does not apply if the assets are in the sponsor's name.) This seems backward to require a contract between spouses in such a case, but that's the way it is.  We learned the hard way, and they calculated my $60000 income at $0 for lack of a I-864A.

Thank you Family One! Actually it was your earlier posts that lead me down the path of updating my documentation ahead of the interview, I feel like we're in a somewhat similar situation (my spouse / sponsor has no income, I do but all from Canadian sources). Perhaps a difference is that I have a co-sponsor. I've gotten worried about other things, like the interview prep specifically stating that the co-sponsor spouse needs an I-864A if they filed a joint return but NVC accepting my application without that :( 

I thought the forms specifically said that the intended immigrant doesn't fill out I-864A, but it sounds like I need to? It seems tuned to "US residents" though - what did you write for tax information? Did you include data from your Canadian tax returns (and include copies of the last return / T1s / T5s / something else)?

Thank you, I appreciate the advice

Just follow the list in the link they sent with your interview email. There is no requirement to update things in CEAC once you have been Dq'd, unless the NVC folks asked you for something, leave it alone. 

Thanks for talking me down ShawnK! Like we wrote before, I'm surely just overthinking things. The whole process is like torture.

All the best and good luck,

Timeline
10 hours ago, thenextman said:

Hello everyone

Thanks and good luck,

Ensure all documents listed as required are included (police certificate, marriage certificate, birth certificate, passport, photo) also copy of all documents you submitted on NVC

The one that surprised me is the CO asked for a copy of my sponsors US passport, which usually is not asked for. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, thenextman said:

I thought the forms specifically said that the intended immigrant doesn't fill out I-864A, but it sounds like I need to? It seems tuned to "US residents" though - what did you write for tax information? Did you include data from your Canadian tax returns (and include copies of the last return / T1s / T5s / something else)?

If the immigrant's assets are on American soil and the income on a US tax return, they can definitely be included on the I-864.  If we are talking about Canadian assets or income, the instructions do not seem to be conclusive.  In our case, the interviewing officer rejected everything for lack of a I-864A.  You can, of course, take a chance; I'm just saying what I would do the next time.

Ultimately, we transferred money to a US bank account to meet the asset minimum, and abandoned trying to prove continued employment.  However, I would assume that together with the I-864A you would need proof that you had worked for said employer in the past (T4), in addition to proof that they would continue hiring you (contract or letter).

3 minutes ago, Family One said:

If the immigrant's assets are on American soil and the income on a US tax return, they can definitely be included on the I-864.  If we are talking about Canadian assets or income, the instructions do not seem to be conclusive.  In our case, the interviewing officer rejected everything for lack of a I-864A.  You can, of course, take a chance; I'm just saying what I would do the next time.

Ultimately, we transferred money to a US bank account to meet the asset minimum, and abandoned trying to prove continued employment.  However, I would assume that together with the I-864A you would need proof that you had worked for said employer in the past (T4), in addition to proof that they would continue hiring you (contract or letter).

Thank you. Did you have a co-sponsor? 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, thenextman said:

Thank you. Did you have a co-sponsor? 

Yes, a child who thankfully had just begun to file US taxes.  Not much income, but it tipped the scale in our favour, in addition to our assets.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.