Hawk Riders

part IV, the big IR1/CR1 DQ'd message group...

3,005 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
18 minutes ago, kryptonite said:

Hi everyone, I had my interview yesterday in Montreal on November 2nd at 9:45 AM. Exactly what I didn’t want happened - my case went into administrative processing.

Quick back story on everything. The officer was very nice; all my documents were accepted and there were no issues with them. He asked me many questions and was content with all of them except for one which is what resulted in my case being put in to AP. My wife had recently moved to another state in the US and she was visiting me in Canada. We were both crossing from Canada to the US with the intention that I was going to help her move into her new place, build some furniture she ordered, etc. the border officers at that time refused me entry and said that you are not doing anything illegal (he literally repeated this multiple times) but, you cannot cross to the US while your case is being processed. Once it is is complete, you can then cross. This happened in May of 2022. I have not attempted to cross since then, I respected their judgement and of course I wouldn’t want to do anything that would jeopardize this months and months long process.

Fast forward to the visa interview, the officer asked me if I was every denied entry to the US and I explained to them the story above and he responded really well to it and seemed quite understanding. At the end however, he said he cannot issue the visa at this time and it requires some additional processing because of the denial of entry at the border. He said based on what you said, everything seems okay but we have to check it on our end. He said there’s nothing you need to do, no documents to submit or anything. Everything is on going our end.

I asked him for a rough timeline of everything and he said he can’t give an exact time but said hopefully a few weeks. He suggested that they keep my passport on file but also gave me the option to take it with me if I wanted. I chose for them to keep it as I do not want any further delays with me having to mail it back to them. 

I know there’s no knowledge of a proper wait time with AP, but does anyone have any experience with something like this given that I do not have to submit any documents and that they are not waiting for me to do anything? My file could be put at the bottom, it could be in a different pile from those who they are waiting on documents for, I literally have no idea.

Also, do they notify you when they are done with AP? Or would they just send the passport out whenever they are done doing their processing?

Was almost at the finish line but looks like I’m going to have to wait a bit longer to cross it.

Thanks in advance for the responses!

It's bizarre they didn't let you cross the border while your visa is being processed. My wife crossed all the time to visit me in the US while hers was being processed. 

That said, this sounds minor and my wife was in a similar position when they asked for one more document at the interview that we didn't have. The agent also said everything was good and as soon as they receive the additional document, it will be reviewed for approval and send the passport back with the visa.

The AP time took about 5-6 weeks and there was no indication they received it other than I got a delivery receipt from the delivery company (FedEx).  For weeks I kept checking this web site to see the status change. When it was approved, she received her passport within a couple days. CEAC (state.gov)  Good luck!

9 minutes ago, ToddD said:

It's bizarre they didn't let you cross the border while your visa is being processed. My wife crossed all the time to visit me in the US while hers was being processed. 

That said, this sounds minor and my wife was in a similar position when they asked for one more document at the interview that we didn't have. The agent also said everything was good and as soon as they receive the additional document, it will be reviewed for approval and send the passport back with the visa.

The AP time took about 5-6 weeks and there was no indication they received it other than I got a delivery receipt from the delivery company (FedEx).  For weeks I kept checking this web site to see the status change. When it was approved, she received her passport within a couple days. CEAC (state.gov)  Good luck!

I was shocked too when the officers told me that I couldn’t cross. I live in a border city and would cross regularly just to shop, go out for dinner, etc. Regardless, I assumed it was for good reason and did not want to argue or fight it out of fear that my entire process will be ruined. 

5-6 weeks is quite long and I really hope it doesn’t take that long. That’s almost as bad as being put at the end of the line after uploading a document on to CEAC. He said “a few weeks” and people have varying definitions on what “a few” is lol.

So other than FedEx notifying you, the embassy didn’t send anything to confirm they received your document? Did they send you anything saying they’ve sent out your passport? I’m just trying to figure out what I should be checking or expecting. Am I to wait for an email from the embassy saying we finished with administrative processing, we’ve sent out your passport? Should I keep checking the CEAC status to see it change from “Refused”? Am I going to get some sort of tracking info? Or do I just one day check the mail and my passport is there lol?

Timeline

Hello everyone! 

My interview is on Wednesday and just finishing up the paperwork to bring with me 

For my husband I have ....

i864

Tax return transcripts 2019 & 2020

Notice of nonfiling 2021

Wage and income transcripts 2020 & 2021

1040 form for 2020

Copies of Birth certificate, passport and lisence 

My joint sponsor 1, my FIL

i864a

Wage & Income transcripts 2019, 2020, 2021

Form 1040 for 2020

Tax Return Transcripts (joint filed with sponsor 2) 2019, 2020, 2021

Copies of Birth certificates, passport and lisence 

Joint Sponsor 2, my MIL

i864a

wage & income 2019, 2020, 2021

copies of Birth certificates, lisence, passport. 

I also have in the binder

Copy of interview email

confirmation page of ds260

copies of my passport, birth certificate 

Police certificate original and copy 

Marriage certificate original and copy 

printed proof of relationship photos 

Is there anything I'm missing??? 

I noticed in my husband's 2020 wage and income transcript it shows a title of 'Form 1099B' and all other Wage & Income Transcripts I have say W2 on them. Should I have him double check his IRS account? 

Timeline
2 hours ago, kryptonite said:

Hi everyone, I had my interview yesterday in Montreal on November 2nd at 9:45 AM. Exactly what I didn’t want happened - my case went into administrative processing.

Quick back story on everything. The officer was very nice; all my documents were accepted and there were no issues with them. He asked me many questions and was content with all of them except for one which is what resulted in my case being put in to AP. My wife had recently moved to another state in the US and she was visiting me in Canada. We were both crossing from Canada to the US with the intention that I was going to help her move into her new place, build some furniture she ordered, etc. the border officers at that time refused me entry and said that you are not doing anything illegal (he literally repeated this multiple times) but, you cannot cross to the US while your case is being processed. Once it is is complete, you can then cross. This happened in May of 2022. I have not attempted to cross since then, I respected their judgement and of course I wouldn’t want to do anything that would jeopardize this months and months long process.

Fast forward to the visa interview, the officer asked me if I was every denied entry to the US and I explained to them the story above and he responded really well to it and seemed quite understanding. At the end however, he said he cannot issue the visa at this time and it requires some additional processing because of the denial of entry at the border. He said based on what you said, everything seems okay but we have to check it on our end. He said there’s nothing you need to do, no documents to submit or anything. Everything is on going our end.

I asked him for a rough timeline of everything and he said he can’t give an exact time but said hopefully a few weeks. He suggested that they keep my passport on file but also gave me the option to take it with me if I wanted. I chose for them to keep it as I do not want any further delays with me having to mail it back to them. 

I know there’s no knowledge of a proper wait time with AP, but does anyone have any experience with something like this given that I do not have to submit any documents and that they are not waiting for me to do anything? My file could be put at the bottom, it could be in a different pile from those who they are waiting on documents for, I literally have no idea.

Also, do they notify you when they are done with AP? Or would they just send the passport out whenever they are done doing their processing?

Was almost at the finish line but looks like I’m going to have to wait a bit longer to cross it.

Exact same thing happened to me. I was interviewed Oct 5th - I had a border refusal in august which was not on my DS260 as it happened after being DQ. The officer approved me at the interview but afterwards my CEAC status went straight to refused and was contacted by the officer to inform me that additional processing was needed. Today after 4 weeks it was finally changed to issued. What a freakin whirlwind!! Nonetheless hang in there, it’ll all work out 😊

Just now, hilaryb said:

Exact same thing happened to me. I was interviewed Oct 5th - I had a border refusal in august which was not on my DS260 as it happened after being DQ. The officer approved me at the interview but afterwards my CEAC status went straight to refused and was contacted by the officer to inform me that additional processing was needed. Today after 4 weeks it was finally changed to issued. What a freakin whirlwind!! Nonetheless hang in there, it’ll all work out 😊

Glad to hear yours worked out! Did the officer inform you that the reason for the additional processing was for the border refusal? 

Also, were you just checking the CEAC website to see your status update or did they notify you that there was a change? If yours says issued, do you get anything for tracking? An email or something?

Timeline
Just now, kryptonite said:

Glad to hear yours worked out! Did the officer inform you that the reason for the additional processing was for the border refusal? 

Also, were you just checking the CEAC website to see your status update or did they notify you that there was a change? If yours says issued, do you get anything for tracking? An email or something?

I wasn’t given any explanation for the additional processing no, but I’m assuming that’s the reason. Seems to be protocol I guess. And I would check CEAC every Thursday (as not to drive myself crazy lol) because from what I’ve read back in this thread it sounds like they ship passports out on Fridays. So I’m hoping to get my tracking tomorrow!

Just now, hilaryb said:

I wasn’t given any explanation for the additional processing no, but I’m assuming that’s the reason. Seems to be protocol I guess. And I would check CEAC every Thursday (as not to drive myself crazy lol) because from what I’ve read back in this thread it sounds like they ship passports out on Fridays. So I’m hoping to get my tracking tomorrow!

That’s kinda crappy that they don’t update you and you have to check manually the entire time. If/when you get tracking info, please share that you did so I kind of know what to expect lol. 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, kkeys said:

Hello everyone! 

My interview is on Wednesday and just finishing up the paperwork to bring with me 

For my husband I have ....

i864

Tax return transcripts 2019 & 2020

Notice of nonfiling 2021

Wage and income transcripts 2020 & 2021

1040 form for 2020

Copies of Birth certificate, passport and lisence 

My joint sponsor 1, my FIL

i864a

Wage & Income transcripts 2019, 2020, 2021

Form 1040 for 2020

Tax Return Transcripts (joint filed with sponsor 2) 2019, 2020, 2021

Copies of Birth certificates, passport and lisence 

Joint Sponsor 2, my MIL

i864a

wage & income 2019, 2020, 2021

copies of Birth certificates, lisence, passport. 

I also have in the binder

Copy of interview email

confirmation page of ds260

copies of my passport, birth certificate 

Police certificate original and copy 

Marriage certificate original and copy 

printed proof of relationship photos 

Is there anything I'm missing??? 

I noticed in my husband's 2020 wage and income transcript it shows a title of 'Form 1099B' and all other Wage & Income Transcripts I have say W2 on them. Should I have him double check his IRS account? 

I would also bring copies of all supporting docs you submitted to NVC

Make sure to provide an updated i864 and i864 if your status or financials have changed

I’m bringing everything you listed and extras to prove domicile and income/assets: 

SSN, Home ownerships, bank statements, voter registration etc. Most likely won’t ask for them but better to come prepared. 

In addition I heard they may ask for your resume. 

Timeline
Just now, michael_n1988 said:

I would also bring copies of all supporting docs you submitted to NVC

Make sure to provide an updated i864 and i864 if your status or financials have changed

I’m bringing everything you listed and extras to prove domicile and income/assets: 

SSN, Home ownerships, bank statements, voter registration etc. Most likely won’t ask for them but better to come prepared. 

In addition I heard they may ask for your resume. 

The i864 information has not changed that I am aware of! 

We don't have any assets together like housing and banks. I have everything we uploaded to NVC printed, and then the updated 2021 versions of everything .. Do Americans get a SSN card? We don't here anymore in Canada.. 

I'll add my resume in to my own section. Thanks so much! 

Timeline
27 minutes ago, kkeys said:

The i864 information has not changed that I am aware of! 

We don't have any assets together like housing and banks. I have everything we uploaded to NVC printed, and then the updated 2021 versions of everything .. Do Americans get a SSN card? We don't here anymore in Canada.. 

I'll add my resume in to my own section. Thanks so much! 

Yes Americans get cards for SSN. I’m bringing my original and copies for sponsors 

Timeline
1 hour ago, hilaryb said:

Getting a bit concerned with these border denials while visa is processing. 

I have a US vacation planned next month. Though my spouse and family all live and work in Canada so we have ties. Would they actually deny me entry bringing one backpack and clearly only crossing for pleasure/vacation?

Timeline
50 minutes ago, michael_n1988 said:

Getting a bit concerned with these border denials while visa is processing. 

I have a US vacation planned next month. Though my spouse and family all live and work in Canada so we have ties. Would they actually deny me entry bringing one backpack and clearly only crossing for pleasure/vacation?

I highly recommend you fly. I almost got denied once for crossing for one weekend. The officer was "this" close for denying me for having an open immigration petition. Flying though? "Oh can't wait for your immigration journey to be over! Just don't overstay haha!". There is a very noticeable difference between agents on land and air border. Yes it costs more money but I would cross for a week monthly and it was never an issue. Definitely worth extra money not to be delayed for your visa.

Timeline
4 hours ago, kryptonite said:

We must have seen each other in the wait room. I was very surprised how some people spend 2 mins with the officer and some were 20 + minutes. Hope it's quick for you. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, lemurianelf said:

I highly recommend you fly. I almost got denied once for crossing for one weekend. The officer was "this" close for denying me for having an open immigration petition. Flying though? "Oh can't wait for your immigration journey to be over! Just don't overstay haha!". There is a very noticeable difference between agents on land and air border. Yes it costs more money but I would cross for a week monthly and it was never an issue. Definitely worth extra money not to be delayed for your visa.

Thanks, yea we’ll be flying too. 

That makes sense as crossing via land border has higher potential of an over stay, having your car and likely more belongings..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.