Saddozai

Parents change of status from visit visa (merged)

16 posts in this topic

Hi I am planning to apply for immigration/change of status for my parents. They are in USA now. 
I am a citizen.

I have two questions 

1- what is the current timeline to get the green card.

2- if they have to travel for family reasons  can they travel after 6 months ( even if the process is not complete) 

Will appreciate any help 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Varies by location could be a couple of years 

They will need AP I have friends who have been waiting 8 months how long you could wait would be a guess

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

1. 12-18 months on average to get a green card by adjusting status.

2.  They would need to get AP - Advance Parole in order to leave the US without abandoning their adjustment of status.  AP takes about 6-8 months to get.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I applied online a few weeks ago and from what I gather from many thread, the consensus seems to favor online application. And from what I read, the processing time is faster as they can review more efficiently.

• Ontarkie changed the title to Parents change of status from visit visa (merged)
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Related question merged to existing topic. Please keep follow up questions to one thread. It helps members when all the information/questions are in one thread.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I-131, I-765, 

The guides section here might be helpful.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

I am a US citizen applying for parents green card and change of status ( they are in USA) 

they are old and sick and will not be working after getting green card. Do I still need to apply for I-765 application for employment authorization it I can just skip it as we have no intention of them to work in USA? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Old and sick is not good, hopefully they are wealthy.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 minutes ago, Saddozai said:

Do I still need to apply for I-765 application for employment authorization it I can just skip it as we have no intention of them to work in USA? 

It's free to file I-765 and I-131 if full I-485 application fees are paid: https://www.uscis.gov/i-485

Filing Forms I-765 and I-131 with Form I-485

If you submit Form I-485 and pay the required fee, you do not have to pay an additional fee to also file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, and/or Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, for advance parole. You may submit these forms together. If you choose not to file Form I-765 and/or Form I-131 with your Form I-485, then you must submit a copy of your I-797C, Notice of Action, (also known as your receipt) as evidence that you filed Form I-485.

It's recommended to file I-765 because if that is approved before I-485 then it results in getting SSN faster.

28 minutes ago, Saddozai said:

I am applying for parents GC and adjustment of status.

I-130 and I-864 are filled-out by the US citizen, and the rest of the forms by the immigrants. In general, send the following eight packets (*note that I-765 and I-131 packets are optional, but highly recommended) in the same envelope to the Chicago Lockbox:

For your father -

• I-130 with your birth certificate (and a translation, if applicable), copy of your parent's marriage certificate (and a translation, if applicable), your proof of US citizenship, filing fees, etc.;
  • I-485 with I-864 and supporting documents, electronic I-94 copy, filing fees, etc.;
  • I-765 with electronic I-94 copy, etc.; and
  • I-131 with electronic I-94 copy, etc.

For your mother -

• I-130 with your birth certificate (and a translation, if applicable), your proof of US citizenship, filing fees, etc.;
  • I-485 with I-864 and supporting documents, electronic I-94 copy, filing fees, etc.;
  • I-765 with electronic I-94 copy, etc.; and
  • I-131 with electronic I-94 copy, etc.

You'll separate each packet with rubber bands or fasteners: https://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-information/form-filing-tips

On the I-130 packet(s), I-130 payment method (check, money order, or Form G-1450) must be the very first item of this packet.

On the I-485 packet(s), I-485 payment method (check, money order, or Form G-1450) must be the very first item of this packet.

They'll eventually have to go to a doctor that has Civil Surgeon designation from USCIS. https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-b-chapter-4

Timing of the Submission of the Medical Examination Report

Applicants may submit the Form I-693 medical examination report to USCIS:

• Concurrently with the immigration benefit application; or

• At any time after filing the immigration benefit application but before USCIS finalizes adjudication of that application. If not submitted simultaneously with the immigration benefit application, applicants may bring the medical examination report to an interview or wait until USCIS issues an RFE requesting the medical examination report.

Edited by HRQX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

You are a wonderful child for wanting to take care of your parents in their golden years. This is something that is lacking in American culture and your exemple is wonderful.

Remember your parent's will need health insurance and they are not eligible for Medicare or Medicaid. While I know the costs of health care for the parent's is secondary to you taking care of them please remember it could bankrupt you unless you are fully prepared. If you do not already have health insurance arrangements for them I would recommend checking the healthcare marketplace as a starting point.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.