Snb3189

Flight to USA with K1 Visa

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi everyone!

This might be a silly question but I wanted to see if anyone has bought a round-trip flight to USA to use their K1 visa (rather than a one way flight) solely because it is significantly cheaper to do so?

Thanks so much!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Yes many did. Just don't forget to cancel the trip back and keep the confirmation of it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I remember I didnt see much of a price visit when I flew my fiance at the time from Brazil to U.S., but it is common for people to buy round trip. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

I hope more knowledgeable folks will chime in, but I think I have seen a few K1's that this has caused problems for because USCIS thinks the visa holder left the country on the return flight (even if they didn't, may be problems with the cancellation for the return flight) therefore disqualifying them when it comes time to Adjust Status.  If I'm remembering correctly it can cause big problems for a very few people because yes a lot of people opt for the less expensive round trip ticket.  If you do it, be careful, remember to cancel the return flight, and document it.  It sounds really rare for it to be a problem, but if it's your problem you'll feel differently.

6 hours ago, Alytes said:

I hope more knowledgeable folks will chime in, but I think I have seen a few K1's that this has caused problems for because USCIS thinks the visa holder left the country on the return flight (even if they didn't, may be problems with the cancellation for the return flight) therefore disqualifying them when it comes time to Adjust Status.  If I'm remembering correctly it can cause big problems for a very few people because yes a lot of people opt for the less expensive round trip ticket.  If you do it, be careful, remember to cancel the return flight, and document it.  It sounds really rare for it to be a problem, but if it's your problem you'll feel differently.

Solved by cancelling the booking on the return flight.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
19 hours ago, Snb3189 said:

if anyone has bought a round-trip flight to USA to use their K1 visa (rather than a one way flight) solely because it is significantly cheaper to do so?

Sorry, I've flown a lot, and never seen a round trip cheaper than a one way for the same destination.  Yes, the one way might be almost the price of the round trip but I have NEVER seen it cheaper.  If you don't mind, as I'm super curious, what is the arrival/destination you are searching that a round trip is cheaper than a return ticket?

Also, they don't look at your tickets during the K1 visa interview, so it's not important anyways.  They even advise you not to buy tickets until you are already approved.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
14 minutes ago, brevig said:

Sorry, I've flown a lot, and never seen a round trip cheaper than a one way for the same destination.  Yes, the one way might be almost the price of the round trip but I have NEVER seen it cheaper.  If you don't mind, as I'm super curious, what is the arrival/destination you are searching that a round trip is cheaper than a return ticket?

Also, they don't look at your tickets during the K1 visa interview, so it's not important anyways.  They even advise you not to buy tickets until you are already approved.

I have the same issue because from USA to India the ticket is about $700 for round trip, but one way ticket from India to USA is around $5,000+. 

Timeline
21 minutes ago, brevig said:

Nonstop flight from Stockholm, Sweden to Philadelphia, PA, USA or Newark, NJ, USA! 

And we already receieved approval. Wasnt sure if it would be a problem at the border or at time of AOS.

Edited by Snb3189

Timeline
6 minutes ago, jass123 said:

I have the same issue because from USA to India the ticket is about $700 for round trip, but one way ticket from India to USA is around $5,000+. 

Yes! Wild! Are you going to do a one way or roundtrip ticket?

Timeline
18 hours ago, Alytes said:

This is what I was curious about - thank you for sharing!

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Snb3189 said:

Nonstop flight from Stockholm, Sweden to Philadelphia, PA, USA or Newark, NJ, USA!

Strange.  I checked cheapoair.com and for roundtrip I got $685 and for one way $472.  Which honestly now I envy you, as my flights for one way are $1200 and roundtrip $2000+, hehehehe.  I hate to push you, but curious, is it going direct to the airlines, or a specific date?  I'm just wondering how you are getting such a terrible rate.  Both rates I checked were to Philly.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, jass123 said:

I'm sorry, I gotta push this.  How are you searching?  I mean my first opinion is that something is wrong, as that is crazy.  And not trying to be mean, just I want to see it.  Maybe you are using the wrong site or something as I never had that issue.  Please don't take offense, but I'm more curious than a cat.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Snb3189 said:

Also, I want to confirm so you don't worry. YOU DO NOT NEED A TICKET FOR A K1 VISA.  They tell you don't buy a ticket.  They won't ask to see one.  No need to show it to them.  Well I think my best advice is this, if YOU DO buy a round trip ticket because it saves you money DO NOT SHOW THEM, THEY DO NOT CARE.  As they tell you don't buy a ticket until you already have the visa approved.

11 minutes ago, brevig said:

Also, I want to confirm so you don't worry. YOU DO NOT NEED A TICKET FOR A K1 VISA.  They tell you don't buy a ticket.  They won't ask to see one.  No need to show it to them.  Well I think my best advice is this, if YOU DO buy a round trip ticket because it saves you money DO NOT SHOW THEM, THEY DO NOT CARE.  As they tell you don't buy a ticket until you already have the visa approved.

OP already said that the visa was approved.

@Snb3189, as long as you cancel the return flight, buying a round trip is not a problem. You may want to check on flights with Iceland Air; when I moved to the US they were the only ones offering one-way flights that were actually cheaper than a round trip, so I ended up flying with them.

Edit: I just saw that you were looking for non-stop flights; Iceland Air probably won't work then...

Edited by Marieke H

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Marieke H said:

OP already said that the visa was approved.

Aha, I see, I misunderstood, so this is a question about CBP.  Honestly in my opinion they should be happy you have a flight back, but yeah, might raise a flag.  But I'd still love to see a real example of a ticket costing more when searching around, I guess move me to Kansas and show me, hahahaha.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.