bookyworm

"Too soon" to submit K1 application?

14 posts in this topic

My fiance and I are getting ready to submit our k1 visa application. The only area I am concerned about is that we have only met in person once, however we spent about a month together for that time period. Is there any such thing as submitting your application "too soon" after your first meeting? I'll also be going to visit him again in 2 months from my first visits. I haven't really seen a clear cut answer to this yet on other sites. Some input would be greatly appreciated!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

not too soon 

but this is country /embassy dependent

and there are so many other factors that determine this

its good you are going for a new visit that soon

To be correct, you’re submitting a K1 petition, if approved allows you to apply for a K1 visa later on. It’s hard to advise you without knowing which country consulate you will be going through. 

Edited by powerpuff

36 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

not too soon 

but this is country /embassy dependent

and there are so many other factors that determine this

its good you are going for a new visit that soon

Thank you for the reply! I am in the US (Georgia) and he is in Nigeria

15 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

To be correct, you’re submitting a K1 petition, if approved allows you to apply for a K1 visa later on. It’s hard to advise you without knowing which country consulate you will be going through. 

Okay thank you for that correction! I am in the US (Georgia) and he is in Nigeria

15 minutes ago, bookyworm said:

Thank you for the reply! I am in the US (Georgia) and he is in Nigeria

Okay thank you for that correction! I am in the US (Georgia) and he is in Nigeria

Nigeria is in a league of its own when it comes to US marriage visa fraud.  Many K-1s are denied in Lagos.

You will need to front load that petition with LOTS of evidence, and honestly, I would advise you to hold off until you have another visit together.  You might be much better off marrying and petitioning for a spousal visa instead.

53 minutes ago, bookyworm said:

Tough consulate for sure. Many K1 denials for Nigeria. I would also advise to hold off sending the petition at least until the second visit. Hopefully it won’t be a short visit. Even after you send the petition it is strongly advised to visit again (as much as possible really). The more time you spend together the better chances of approval. I second the spousal visa route.

any other areas that might be of concern for the interviewing officer? Age difference, etc.? 

6 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Tough consulate for sure. Many K1 denials for Nigeria. I would also advise to hold off sending the petition at least until the second visit. Hopefully it won’t be a short visit. Even after you send the petition it is strongly advised to visit again (as much as possible really). The more time you spend together the better chances of approval. I second the spousal visa route.

any other areas that might be of concern for the interviewing officer? Age difference, etc.? 

Okay thank you. And nope, no other areas of concerns and we're only like 2.5 years apart

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
5 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Nigeria is in a league of its own when it comes to US marriage visa fraud.  Many K-1s are denied in Lagos.

You will need to front load that petition with LOTS of evidence, and honestly, I would advise you to hold off until you have another visit together.  You might be much better off marrying and petitioning for a spousal visa instead.

Totally agree and NIgerian engagement ceremony is often seen as a marriage ceremony and K1 denied as 'too marriied for a K1"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
23 hours ago, bookyworm said:

My fiance and I are getting ready to submit our k1 visa application. The only area I am concerned about is that we have only met in person once, however we spent about a month together for that time period. Is there any such thing as submitting your application "too soon" after your first meeting? I'll also be going to visit him again in 2 months from my first visits. I haven't really seen a clear cut answer to this yet on other sites. Some input would be greatly appreciated!

Why not marry him on your next visit and file CR1, which has higher approval chances?  CR1 is better in my opinion, less paperwork when he arrives.

Based on most comments here, Nigeria is a high fraud country.  Good luck!

1 minute ago, GMvietnam said:

Why not marry him on your next visit and file CR1, which has higher approval chances?  CR1 is better in my opinion, less paperwork when he arrives.

Based on most comments here, Nigeria is a high fraud country.  Good luck!

Our concern is the amount of time a CR1 might take vs K1, we wanted to be able to be together sooner rather than later. How long could a CR1 take on average do you think?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
2 hours ago, bookyworm said:

Our concern is the amount of time a CR1 might take vs K1, we wanted to be able to be together sooner rather than later. How long could a CR1 take on average do you think?

Every case and every embassy is different, especially with Covid. However, I think most people would prefer CR1 over K1 visa.  If I have to guess, the average of a CR1 case is around 18-24 months if everything go smoothly?  It can be much longer if you get an RFE or placed on AP.  Wish you best of luck.

4 hours ago, bookyworm said:

Right now for Lagos it’s the same as CR1, if not longer. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

a CR1 is more likely to be approved. a K1 is more likely to be denied, so you have the waiting, denial, filing a CR1, then more waiting... so you double your time...waiting. Not to mention the overall benefits of a CR1 as compared to a K1.

Nigeria is a tough consulate.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

9 hours ago, bookyworm said:

we wanted to be able to be together sooner rather than later.

Both options will take several years.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.