Will&Christine

Marry online and go for spouse visa or stick with K1 visa process?

58 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Will&Christine said:

I'm guessing vblogger or people who travel full time.

There's something off about this. I think good portion of peoples conditions are not that serious but forced to stay at the hospital because they are covid positive. And the oxygen tanks are there on the streets to sensationalize the news and spread fear. To scare people into complying with endless lockdowns. It reminds me at beginning of pandemic China have videos of people dropping dead on the streets but it turned out to be fake. I don't trust anything that is newly reported. 

Yes, I think a Professional Tourist is blogger like you said, I had never seen that term before.

Yes for the news reports who knows if it fake news to make headlines or what.  Here is another one:

Cebu City hospitals now full due to COVID-19 surge; Local gov't appeals for help | ANC - YouTube

3 hours ago, Will&Christine said:

I'm guessing vblogger or people who travel full time.

There's something off about this. I think good portion of peoples conditions are not that serious but forced to stay at the hospital because they are covid positive. And the oxygen tanks are there on the streets to sensationalize the news and spread fear. To scare people into complying with endless lockdowns. It reminds me at beginning of pandemic China have videos of people dropping dead on the streets but it turned out to be fake. I don't trust anything that is newly reported. 

I agree 100% I have a close friend who got covid in the Philippines judging by all of the symptoms, and never went to a hospital/doctor or got tested. I told her that was a good idea. On my wife's street at least 20 people have had it and done the same. They understand it's all hysteria and know they will be fine based on their age and no underlying conditions. As governments see that citizens are waking up they push more fear. It's all about control at this point.

4 hours ago, RO_AH said:

I agree 100% I have a close friend who got covid in the Philippines judging by all of the symptoms, and never went to a hospital/doctor or got tested. I told her that was a good idea. On my wife's street at least 20 people have had it and done the same. They understand it's all hysteria and know they will be fine based on their age and no underlying conditions. As governments see that citizens are waking up they push more fear. It's all about control at this point.

It is sad the governments have to push fear in order to control the general public in this era and times likes this when it is no worse then the flu.

the bosses at my job had it and said it is just a little stronger then the actual flu.

53 minutes ago, NeonParticles said:

I've lost friends and family to COVID, this dismissal of the virus on this forum is a slap in the face to all of us who have lost people we care for.  Please give some thought before posting these things.

No one is slapping you in the face, People lose loved ones to vehicle accidents, yet we still all drive. People have lost loved ones to drowning, yet we still swim. No one has dismissed covid in an effort to slap you in the face. People have other opinions about the reality of covid and it's effects on people, and I remember a day where we were allowed free exchange of ideas without people being offended. No one is celebrating any loss of life anywhere. If they are I will be right beside you calling out their posts.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Three non-family-friendly posts have been removed.

VJ Moderation

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On 7/31/2021 at 9:59 PM, HRQX said:

Just note that the consummation must happen after the marriage ceremony in order to be able to file Form I-130. See INA 101(a)(35): "The term "spouse", "wife", or "husband" do not include a spouse, wife, or husband by reason of any marriage ceremony where the contracting parties thereto are not physically present in the presence of each other, unless the marriage shall have been consummated."

I believe they must consummate before the interview, not before filing.  

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

8 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

I believe they must consummate before the interview, not before filing.  

Requirement is before filing.  From the I-130 form instructions -- https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-130instr.pdf

"You may NOT file Form I-130 for a person in the following categories:

[...]

4.  A spouse, if you and your spouse were not both physically present at the marriage ceremony, unless the marriage was consummated;"

2 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Requirement is before filing.  From the I-130 form instructions -- https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-130instr.pdf

"You may NOT file Form I-130 for a person in the following categories:

[...]

4.  A spouse, if you and your spouse were not both physically present at the marriage ceremony, unless the marriage was consummated;"

Thank you for that.  So they can get married but shouldn't file until they are physically together again in early October.  That is still better for them as the timeline to marry in Manila is much longer and more complicated.  If they marry there it would be late November at the earliest and the 60 days for the PSA marriage certificate.  Still seems like a good plan even if they dont file until they get together in early October.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

1 minute ago, John & Rose said:

So they can get married but shouldn't file until they are physically together again in early October.  That is still better for them as the timeline to marry in Manila is much longer and more complicated.

Yup, I agree.

30 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Yup, I agree.

I put this in the other thread but it should probably be here too.  According to 9 FAM, the validity date of the marriage will be the proxy wedding date if the marriage is consummated after the wedding.  So, according to 9 FAM, you can marry and file and as long as the marriage is consummated prior to the interview.   It will be considered a valid marriage for the visa if consummated after the wedding.  The validity date will be the date of the proxy marriage even if consummated at a later date.

226379425_878670582764049_3634812811660184354_n.png

Edited by John & Rose

IMG_5168.jpeg

26 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

According to 9 FAM, the validity date of the marriage will be the proxy wedding date if the marriage is consummated after the wedding.

No. That is for determining if the visa is CR-1 or IR-1 (i.e. 2 year marriage anniversary calculation).

Do NOT file I-130 before the marriage is consummated. Also, reminder that USCIS is who adjudicates the petition.

Edited by HRQX

1 minute ago, HRQX said:

No. That is for determining if the visa is CR-1 or IR-1 (i.e. 2 year marriage anniversary calculation).

Do NOT file I-130 before the marriage is consummated. Also, reminder that USCIS is who adjudicates the petition.

That was the part that was missing!!!  The USCIS vs DoS.  Perfect.  Thank you.

IMG_5168.jpeg

5 hours ago, John & Rose said:

I put this in the other thread but it should probably be here too.  According to 9 FAM, the validity date of the marriage will be the proxy wedding date if the marriage is consummated after the wedding.  So, according to 9 FAM, you can marry and file and as long as the marriage is consummated prior to the interview.   It will be considered a valid marriage for the visa if consummated after the wedding.  The validity date will be the date of the proxy marriage even if consummated at a later date.

226379425_878670582764049_3634812811660184354_n.png

As a reminder, Utah Zoom marriages aren't considered proxy marriages.

10 hours ago, Corgent said:

As a reminder, Utah Zoom marriages aren't considered proxy marriages.

As far as US immigration is concerned, they are considered proxy marriages.  For both USCIS and DOS, a proxy marriage is a marriage where one or both parties was not present during the ceremony.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.