Will&Christine

Marry online and go for spouse visa or stick with K1 visa process?

58 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Chancy said:

As far as US immigration is concerned, they are considered proxy marriages.  For both USCIS and DOS, a proxy marriage is a marriage where one or both parties was not present during the ceremony.

To quote Utah county, "How is a web-conference wedding different from a proxy wedding? In a proxy marriage, another person represents an absent participant. In a web-conference wedding the participants represent themselves. They visually appear before an officiant and witnesses; their personal verbal agreement to enter the marriage is heard by the officiant and witnesses. The State of Utah does not recognize a proxy marriage. Each participant must appear before the officiant personally. They cannot be represented by a third party." https://www.utahcounty.gov/Dept/ClerkAud/WebCeremonyFAQ.html

Are you saying US immigration still considers this a proxy marriage despite Utah county's assertion?

18 minutes ago, Corgent said:

Are you saying US immigration still considers this a proxy marriage despite Utah county's assertion?

US immigration law does not define "proxy" marriage. But it does clearly state: "The term "spouse", "wife", or "husband" do not include a spouse, wife, or husband by reason of any marriage ceremony where the contracting parties thereto are not physically present in the presence of each other, unless the marriage shall have been consummated." See INA 101(a)(35).

Thus the Utah ZOOM marriage must also be consummated in the period in between the marriage ceremony and I-130 filing.

Edited by HRQX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We are in the exact same situation. Filed Dec 2019 and NOA2 in June of 2020. Very much thinking about canceling K1 and going for CR1. What a pita the Philippines has become. Nothing but a cesspool of incompetent leaders and lawmakers. If it wasn't for these back and forth lockdowns and quarantines, USEM could be fully staffed and doing their job.

I wish we could have some idea of the expected wait times for those stuck at USEM awaiting interviews or those still at NVC

Edited by NoMansLand2020

8 hours ago, Corgent said:

USCIS and DOS are federal agencies.  They are not obligated to follow what one county says.  They will adjudicate cases according to their own policies which are based on federal law.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: E-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 8/2/2021 at 9:36 AM, Joe Kano said:

Stop spreading propaganda terror points. The video you linked too has NO footage of the hospital or people waiting to get in.

Another point is that anyone entering the hospital in Cebu must take a PCR and WAIT OUTSIDE for the result. It doesn't matter what you are there for and this has been the practice since last year.

No news here.

Timeline

I will tell you what I know as a matter of fact for American and Philippine couples wanting to be together.

Facts:

1. You can get married in the USA via Zoom.

2. For most couples you can be legally married in as little as 48 hours.

3. The Philippines DOES ACCEPT this as a binding and legal marriage.

4. It is MUCH easier for the American citizen to travel to meet their Filipino spouse with the proper legal paperwork to be together again.

If you are willing to go through the steps you can be together in WEEKS.

The American spouse will need a round trip ticket.

I am selling everything I own and moving to the Phils. I am a programmer and engineer and plan on working via the internet and living outside of Ormoc. We've already built a house.

PROOF:

(removed)

Edited by Ontarkie
TOS violation and inappropriate language and youtube video removed

3 hours ago, JeneferAndJohn said:

I will tell you what I know as a matter of fact for American and Philippine couples wanting to be together.

Facts:

4. It is MUCH easier for the American citizen to travel to meet their Filipino spouse with the proper legal paperwork to be together again.

I am selling everything I own and moving to the Phils. I am a programmer and engineer and plan on working via the internet and living outside of Ormoc. We've already built a house.

PROOF:

(removed)

Some of us have lived for decades in the Philippines as well as worked with Philippine immigration. 

Edited by Ontarkie
You tube video removed

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Timeline

There is SOME reliable information. I just get tired of speculation from "experts". If a person doesn't know then don't pretend you do.

From a "by the book" technical perspective is it legal? Maybe, maybe not.

The government bodies that create the laws are NOT the people that get paid $1 buck an hour to review the paperwork and decide on whether or not you can enter the country or whether or not the marriage is legal.

It appears this is the ONLY option at the moment if you are hoping to reunite with a loved one that is locked down in the Phils.

I am going to take this opportunity while I can before it vanishes.

3 hours ago, SpartyPNW said:

If you already are down the road of a k-1 stay on that path. Things are starting to move again so if you switch you’ll be going back to the end of the line. 

I don't see things are moving for K1. Where are you seeing this? Spouse visa are moving in a good pace and almost no backlog however K1 have a huge backlog. I rather to get back in line that is moving a decent pace than stuck in barely moving line.

Facts:

PROOF:

(removed)

I am considering to marry online so I can get 9a visa. If Philippines does accept online marriage as binding then does it make 13a visa a possible option? I believe one of requirements for 13a is to have Filipino spouse. I am also planning to live in Philippines longer term until both of us can go to usa.

Edited by Ontarkie
You tube video remvoed

*** Mod warning: One post edited for TOS violation (Telling other members not to post). And inappropriate language. Post accordingly or further action will be taken.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Just to be clear -- the Philippines does accept marriages solemnized in the US as valid marriages, but it does not automatically confer legal rights as a married couple in the Philippines.  Only by going through the Report of Marriage (ROM) process will the couple be granted full legal rights as married in the PH.

In practical terms relevant to immigration, this means that while DFA may accept a Utah marriage certificate for 9a visa application, DFA will not accept the same MC for the wife's passport renewal with married name.

TL;DR -- Utah Zoom marriage is ok, but also do ROM later if you want a PH passport with married name.

• 4 months later...
On 8/1/2021 at 11:27 AM, top_secret said:

The Philippines has announced that as of Aug 1 they will no longer require the travel exemption document for spouses of Filipino citizens who are traveling on a 9a visa.  A 9a visa was previously somewhat strait forward and took like 2 weeks for a spouse to get.  Nothing in the announcement excludes online marriages so it 'looks' like a Utah marriage certificate would be a ticket into the Philippines.  But since Aug 1 has just arrived, the real world dynamics of how this will work out remain untested.

I predict that as of Monday, Philippine Embassies and Consulates are going to be flooded with a bunch of 9a visa applications.  Many from recent online marriages.  More than a few where the spouses have never even met before.  Thus the new 9a proclamation will very thoroughly have it's limits tested rather soon.

Unfortunately since July 25, the Philippines now has a total travel ban against Thailand.  Even Filipinos already in Thailand are totally banned from returning to the Philippines.  Any Filipina attempting to depart from the Philippines for Thailand would unconditionally be offloaded.  There are no exceptions for any reason.  The only way Filipinos who are stranded in Thailand may return to the Philippines is by Philippine government organized repatriation flights or by first spending 14 days in a neutral "non-Delta-ban" country.  These rules apply to Malaysia and Indonesia too.  Scratch SE Asia from the where to meet ur sweetie list for a while.

is this still the case? i know thailand and cambodia open.....singapore open to americans but closed to philippines......and how hard of a time would my girl have returning to philippines?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.