Michael&Karen

Updating affidavit of support

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello everyone.

My interview will be in a couple of weeks so we’re updating AOS. My husband just got a new job and I’m wondering what do we put on “ my current individual income” if we basically don’t know cause is not time to fill out 2021 taxes please help, TIA!

00C2A3C8-9ABD-4F8B-8A1F-E08268ABA2C6.jpeg

-NSC-

Marriage: 02-14-2019♥

I-130 PD:  08-30-2019
NOA1: 09/05/2019

NOA2: 05/05/2020

NVC recieved: 05/06/2020

-Take delight in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.

22 minutes ago, Michael&Karen said:

My husband just got a new job and I’m wondering what do we put on “ my current individual income” if we basically don’t know cause is not time to fill out 2021 taxes

No need to wait for tax filing season.  Current annual income is calculated from a recent paystub -- as in, salary for the pay period multiplied by the number of pay periods per year.  Or it can be taken from an employment letter listing the annual salary.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Chancy said:

No need to wait for tax filing season.  Current annual income is calculated from a recent paystub -- as in, salary for the pay period multiplied by the number of pay periods per year.  Or it can be taken from an employment letter listing the annual salary.

Right. But he’s about to start the training and we don’t have that info yet. So do I leave that on blank?🤔

-NSC-

Just now, Michael&Karen said:

Right. But he’s about to start the training and we don’t have that info yet. So do I leave that on blank?🤔

No, do NOT leave that field blank.  Your husband must have the salary info.  If he doesn't have a paystub yet, ask for an employment letter from his employer.  Or did he really accept a job offer without knowing how much he will be paid?!

Timeline
Just now, Chancy said:

No, do NOT leave that field blank.  Your husband must have the salary info.  If he doesn't have a paystub yet, ask for an employment letter from his employer.  Or did he really accept a job offer without knowing how much he will be paid?!

The thing is that the amount they make a week depends on the miles they drive and like I said he will just start the training so we don’t really know. I’ll let him know this info, thank you very much!

-NSC-

8 minutes ago, Michael&Karen said:

The thing is that the amount they make a week depends on the miles they drive and like I said he will just start the training so we don’t really know.

Confirm if he has a mileage quota per work period -- for example, 2000 miles per week.  If so, his current annual income would be -- mileage quota per work period x pay rate per mile x number of work periods per year.  Does he have a contract that mentions quota and pay rate?  If not, ask for an employment letter with those numbers.

50 minutes ago, Chancy said:

You never know what you make for salary as a truck driver, we are paid by the mile if the wheels are not moving we do not make money

30 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Confirm if he has a mileage quota per work period -- for example, 2000 miles per week.  If so, his current annual income would be -- mileage quota per work period x pay rate per mile x number of work periods per year.  Does he have a contract that mentions quota and pay rate?  If not, ask for an employment letter with those numbers.

We never know how many miles per week we will do it goes along with our log book, we are allowed 70hrs in 8 days 14 hr work day and only 11 hrs driving per day

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Murph4865 said:

We never know how many miles per week we will do it goes along with our log book, we are allowed 70hrs in 8 days 14 hr work day and only 11 hrs driving per day

Exactly 

-NSC-

2 minutes ago, Murph4865 said:

For salaried sponsors, current annual income can be projected income for a year, based on pay rate listed in an official employment document.  From the I-864 instructions -- https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-864instr.pdf

"Current Individual Annual Income. Type or print your current, individual, earned or retirement, annual income that you are using to meet the requirements of this affidavit and indicate the total in the space provided.  You may include evidence supporting your claim about your expected income for the current year if you believe that submitting this evidence will help you establish ability to maintain sufficient income."

3 minutes ago, Chancy said:

For salaried sponsors, current annual income can be projected income for a year, based on pay rate listed in an official employment document.  From the I-864 instructions -- https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-864instr.pdf

"Current Individual Annual Income. Type or print your current, individual, earned or retirement, annual income that you are using to meet the requirements of this affidavit and indicate the total in the space provided.  You may include evidence supporting your claim about your expected income for the current year if you believe that submitting this evidence will help you establish ability to maintain sufficient income."

We can not estimate very easily the amount we will make per yr cause it depends on how long we want to stay away from home and how hard we want to drive to make money, the more time off we take the less money we make

8 minutes ago, Michael&Karen said:

Exactly 

I have been driving for 33 yrs now so i know how it works.

2 minutes ago, Murph4865 said:

We can not estimate very easily the amount we will make per yr cause it depends on how long we want to stay away from home and how hard we want to drive to make money, the more time off we take the less money we make

The I-864 form only requires a reasonable estimate backed up by an employment document.  The sponsor is allowed to make assumptions based on what is defined in their agreement with their employer -- for example, assumptions about meeting a certain mileage quota and number of weeks they will work in a year.  That's how people who just started on a new job can qualify to be a sponsor.

25 minutes ago, Michael&Karen said:

Exactly 

You are of course free to disregard my suggestion above and put $0 or leave the current income field blank.  If you do, I recommend looking for a joint sponsor who knows how much income they are expected to make for the year and can provide evidence of such.  Good luck.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
13 hours ago, Murph4865 said:

The projected annual income can be used.  It does not have to be exact.  

Per the above example, 11 hrs driving with max 70 hrs per 8 days maxes out at 61.25 hrs per 7 days.  The theoretical maximum hrs is 61.25 x 52 = 3185.  Average 55 miles per hr equals 175k miles.  Realistically the actual miles worked per year would be less.  A low estimate would be 1/2, at 87k miles.  At 30 cents per mile (for new drivers) that is about $26k per year.

So the salary range of the above example is $26k to $52k.  @Michael&Karen, have your husband estimate the miles he will be working, by talking to his employer or fellow drivers, multiplied by his pay rate.  Use that for his current income.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.