13 posts in this topic

Hello visajourney I'm a US citizen married December 2020 to a Dominican republic citizen.

Just wanted to ask some questions on the whole process, i never dealt with USCIS before.

1 - when starting the i130 online is the process straightforward? Or should I get a consultant to file the application. I'm guessing I can do it on my own.

2 - we're gathering all the documents now. at the moment we have.

- My birth certificate (long form)

- My passport

- Marriage Certificate (Acta Inextensa de Matrimonio) 

-  Her Birth certificate and parents

(Extractor de Acta de Nacimiento)

This is the short form. Will she need to get the long form?

- Cédula

- 2x2 passport photo

- Evidence ( will make a pdf with different types of Evidence)

Are we missing something to start the process?

3 - which translation services is recommend for the marriage/birth certificate?

4 - when using a Joint sponsor will my income matter when is time to fill the i-864?

5- My wife doesn't have a DR passport, will she need to get one? Or will she receive one at the end of the whole process?

I think that's all for now.

Thanks for the help!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
48 minutes ago, Redx508 said:

Hello visajourney I'm a US citizen married December 2020 to a Dominican republic citizen.

Just wanted to ask some questions on the whole process, i never dealt with USCIS before.

1 - when starting the i130 online is the process straightforward? Or should I get a consultant to file the application. I'm guessing I can do it on my own.

Whether you can do it on your own, depends on your ability to study and follow instructions.

2 - we're gathering all the documents now. at the moment we have.

- My birth certificate (long form)

- My passport

- Marriage Certificate (Acta Inextensa de Matrimonio) 

-  Her Birth certificate and parents

(Extractor de Acta de Nacimiento)

This is the short form. Will she need to get the long form?

- Cédula

- 2x2 passport photo

- Evidence ( will make a pdf with different types of Evidence)

Are we missing something to start the process?

I think you have missed studying the I-130 instructions that list what supporting documentation is needed.  If not listed, it may be needed later, but not now.

3 - which translation services is recommend for the marriage/birth certificate?

Any competent translator.  Important is the statement certifying they are fluent in both languages and that the translation is true and complete.

4 - when using a Joint sponsor will my income matter when is time to fill the i-864?

Affidavits of support are judgment calls based on totality of circumstances.  

5- My wife doesn't have a DR passport, will she need to get one? Or will she receive one at the end of the whole process?

I think that's all for now.

Thanks for the help!

She needs a DR passport before the visa interview, but does not need one before you file the I-130.

See direct responses inserted above.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Redx508 said:

Or should I get a consultant to file the application.

You’ve been given solid advice.  I just wanted to comment on this.  I have yet to see a single post on VJ or Reddit were a paid preparer who was not an experienced immigration attorney successfully got a petitioner  and beneficiary through the process to green card.

Whereas I’ve seen more posts than I can count where the paid “notarios” not only make errors, but sometimes cajole the beneficiary into committing overt fraud or perjury.  

Hire a great lawyer or do it yourself. Do it yourself after you’ve thoroughly read the referenced guides and the relevant forums on VJ.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Mike E said:

You’ve been given solid advice.  I just wanted to comment on this.  I have yet to see a single post on VJ or Reddit were a paid preparer who was not an experienced immigration attorney successfully got a petitioner  and beneficiary through the process to green card.

VJ has several "partners" who are NOT immigration attorneys who have successfully taken hundreds, if not thousands, of individuals successfully through the entire process.

YMMV

Thanks for all the advice!

2 hours ago, pushbrk said:

I think you have missed studying the I-130 instructions that list what supporting documentation is needed.  If not listed, it may be needed later, but not now.

Affidavits of support are judgment calls based on totality of circumstances.  

I see now, I don't need her birth certificate for this step.

At the moment i don't meet the income requirements. but by the time the i-864 is needed i should be there. if not my only other option is a joint sponsor right?

35 minutes ago, payxibka said:

VJ has several "partners" who are NOT immigration attorneys who have successfully taken hundreds, if not thousands, of individuals successfully through the entire process.

are the partners here? https://www.visajourney.com/partners/

or is there a bigger list somewhere

one other questions when filling out the forms will i use her new name after marriage?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

At the moment i don't meet the income requirements. but by the time the i-864 is needed i should be there. if not my only other option is a joint sponsor right?

one other questions when filling out the forms will i use her new name after marriage?

Right, qualify or joint sponsor.

Yes, that's the partner page.

Use the name she intends to use going forward.  She should get her passport in that name also.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

You fill out the forms in the name she wishes to be known 

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
13 hours ago, payxibka said:

These Lawyers that know the Immigration process, most likely used Visa Journey, as there Guide.

Timeline
15 hours ago, payxibka said:

All I read about are the mistakes (or worse)  these advertisers and notarios commit.  The successes never seem to make front page of VJ.  Granted it probably doesn’t help that posts that (IME) reference any VJ advertiser   trigger mod / admin action.  

So it’s like a tree falling in the middle of a forest to me.  

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Mike E said:

All I read about are the mistakes these advertisers make.  The successes never seem to make front page of VJ.  Granted it probably doesn’t help that posts that (IME) reference any VJ advertiser   trigger mod / admin action.  

So it’s like a tree falling in the middle of a forest to me.  

So just mentioning Rapid Visa will trigger a mod response?

YMMV

Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

So just mentioning …redacted… will trigger a mod response?

I used the term “reference” and not mention, but yes indeed I have mentioned an advertiser in a VJ post and received a mod action. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.