17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

For concurrent, I always advocate for all to go at once. So file all paper.

And I always advocate for money order not CC authorization nor personal checks. 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

@Chen93 Some people have reported approvals within 2 to 3 months for I-130s filed online. While it is nice to walk into the interview knowing that USCIS has vetted your relationship and that they are happy with the evidence you provided, there is no added advantage to it. Sometimes people can only afford to file the I-130 first ant then the I-485 with everything else. It really is up to you. Whether you file the I-130 first or do everything together, USCIS still considers is a concurrent filing. Remember that only the I-485 NOA is proof of legal presence.

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
18 hours ago, Timona said:

For concurrent, I always advocate for all to go at once. So file all paper.

And I always advocate for money order not CC authorization nor personal checks. 

Filing I-130 online is considered concurrent. The main benefits of filing online is you cannot screw it up as it hand holds you throughout your application (it will ask you to submit all required evidence and there is no chance to leave anything blank). Once you submit it, you will get an I-797 immediately and the paper copy will come in the mail a week later. You attach that I-797 Receipt from I-130 with your I-485, I-765 and I-131 paper packet to Chicago Lockbox. This is considered concurrent filing.

Also, if you follow the instructions, sign the credit card authorization and make sure it is a US issued credit card, it will work. I believe I read a lot of your posts advocating for paper and I did not follow it. I just got my I-130 approval after 1 month. Had we waited to file the I-130 with the whole entire package via paper, we would have lost that precious 1 month. Nebraska approves I-130 between 1-5 months.

Timeline
18 hours ago, Chen93 said:

Hi, I'm wondering if I can file I-130 online and mail the I-485 for the concurrent filing. Is there any benefits to file I-130 online then paper mail? Thank you very much.

Hi there,

Yes, please file online and once you get your I-797 submit your I-485, I-765 and I-131 paper packets to Chicago Lockbox. This is considered concurrent filing.

Main advantages of filing online:

1. Receipt is immediate and you will secure your place in line right away. I am an Immediate Relative so Priority Date does not matter to me but for those applicants where the PD is important, you will get your place in line right away. My PD was June 23rd as that is the date we submitted the I-130 online. Mine was sent to Nebraska that approves 1-5 months last time I checked. You don’t lose the time mailing and waiting for USCIS to process as the computer did that already.

2. It is hard to screw it up as the online tool hands hold you. It will ask you to submit all required evidence in I-130 and will have a final check to tell you if you missed something before hitting submit. With this tool, if you follow the instructions, there is less chance of RFE.

So bottom line less chance of RFE and getting your foot in the line right away is the main benefit. Your PD will be maintained in your I-485.

14 minutes ago, chancecody said:

Filing I-130 online is considered concurrent. The main benefits of filing online is you cannot screw it up as it hand holds you throughout your application (it will ask you to submit all required evidence and there is no chance to leave anything blank). Once you submit it, you will get an I-797 immediately and the paper copy will come in the mail a week later. You attach that I-797 Receipt from I-130 with your I-485, I-765 and I-131 paper packet to Chicago Lockbox. This is considered concurrent filing.

Also, if you follow the instructions, sign the credit card authorization and make sure it is a US issued credit card, it will work. I believe I read a lot of your posts advocating for paper and I did not follow it. I just got my I-130 approval after 1 month. Had we waited to file the I-130 with the whole entire package via paper, we would have lost that precious 1 month. Nebraska approves I-130 between 1-5 months.

I think that is a great point. I filed mine by mail, of course. Online filing was not available for this form back then. It is nice that the system guides you through it. 

Congrats on your approval! USCIS has vetted you as an Immediate Relative of a US Citizen based on the evidence you sent! :) . Your I-485 interview will be that much easier. 

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
3 hours ago, chancecody said:

Thank you for taking time walk me though your experience! I'll go ahead to file I-130 online since time isn't on my side.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Hijack post removed. Please start a new thread or  post questions for your own case in your existing threads.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 7/28/2021 at 5:33 PM, chancecody said:

Hi Chance, 

Thank you very much for taking time answer my questions. I applied online and got the "receipt notice" immediately. Can I attached this one into my I-485 concurrent filling, or should I wait till receive the I-797 "approval notice" in my mailbox?

Timeline
4 hours ago, Chen93 said:

Hi Chance, 

Thank you very much for taking time answer my questions. I applied online and got the "receipt notice" immediately. Can I attached this one into my I-485 concurrent filling, or should I wait till receive the I-797 "approval notice" in my mailbox?

Hi there,

If you are in a rush to send now, yes, you can use the online receipt. The only difference between the online receipt and the one you will get in the mail is the online receipt does not have any header “DHS USCIS This Notice Does Not Grant any Immigration Status or Benefit”. The rest of the information is exactly the same. You will usually get the paper receipt in the mail within 1 week of filing. For me, I waited and used the one I received in the mail….however, the one online is sufficient as you will find when you get it :) 

Timeline
2 hours ago, chancecody said:

Hi there,

If you are in a rush to send now, yes, you can use the online receipt. The only difference between the online receipt and the one you will get in the mail is the online receipt does not have any header “DHS USCIS This Notice Does Not Grant any Immigration Status or Benefit”. The rest of the information is exactly the same. You will usually get the paper receipt in the mail within 1 week of filing. For me, I waited and used the one I received in the mail….however, the one online is sufficient as you will find when you get it :) 

Was thinking about the same thing, if two receipt has the same content I should be able to use the online copy. Thanks!

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Chen93 said:

Was thinking about the same thing, if two receipt has the same content I should be able to use the online copy. Thanks!

You’re welcome. I am sure you did this already but just a reminder to put the IOE# (receipt of underlying petition) on Page 4, Part 2, Item 3 of your I-485. Also, please make sure that your I-797 Receipt Notice for I-130 is near the top of your packet AFTER Forms G-1450 (if paying by credit card) and G-1145. Use a cover letter and specifically mention that it is concurrent filing referencing the IOE# of underlying petition in that cover letter. This is to ensure that the contractor processing your paperwork when they first receive it do not make a mistake and would clearly understand that it is concurrent filing with I-130 filed online. I did this and after I received my online access for AOS, it says “concurrent filing for I-485/765/131” in my account. I guess for me my goal was to always KISS (Keep It Simple St…d) to avoid any mistakes or misunderstanding from USCIS.

Timeline
On 8/17/2021 at 9:36 PM, chancecody said:

You’re welcome. I am sure you did this already but just a reminder to put the IOE# (receipt of underlying petition) on Page 4, Part 2, Item 3 of your I-485. Also, please make sure that your I-797 Receipt Notice for I-130 is near the top of your packet AFTER Forms G-1450 (if paying by credit card) and G-1145. Use a cover letter and specifically mention that it is concurrent filing referencing the IOE# of underlying petition in that cover letter. This is to ensure that the contractor processing your paperwork when they first receive it do not make a mistake and would clearly understand that it is concurrent filing with I-130 filed online. I did this and after I received my online access for AOS, it says “concurrent filing for I-485/765/131” in my account. I guess for me my goal was to always KISS (Keep It Simple St…d) to avoid any mistakes or misunderstanding from USCIS.

Appreciated your tips! 

Also, do we need to put extra marriage supporting documents into the I-485 application as well?

Timeline
7 hours ago, Chen93 said:

Appreciated your tips! 

Also, do we need to put extra marriage supporting documents into the I-485 application as well?

Hi there. Are you talking about proof of bonafide marriage? That is only for I-130 and no need to send that again with your I-485. The I-485 instructions will tell you the only thing that you need to send as evidence. 

• 6 months later...
On 8/17/2021 at 10:36 PM, chancecody said:

Do you have a copy of your cover letter or sample of it with redacted personal info that you can share?

AOS: I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131   ( 128 DAYS )

Spoiler
  • 12/08/2016 [ Day -002 ] Medical Exam Done
  • 12/10/2016 [ Day 000 ] AOS package mailed out by USPS flat rate ( I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131 )
  • 12/12/2016 [ Day 002 ] Delivered and signed by R. Mercardo
  • 12/22/2016 [ Day 012 ] Checks cashed by USCIS Chicago
  • 12/28/2016 [ Day 018 ] Received text & email e-Notices of acceptance
  • 01/03/2017 [ Day 024 ] Received hard copy NOA1 ( Received Date - Dec 13, Notice date - Dec 23 )
  • 01/07/2017 [ Day 028 ] Received bio-metrics appointment letter ( Notice date: Dec 31 2016 )
  • 01/17/2017 [ Day 038 ] Bio-metrics Appointment at Elizabeth, NJ ( Completed )
  • 03/09/2017 [ Day 089 ] Received letter of interview appointment scheduled Apr 6
  • 04/03/2017 [ Day 114 ] Received notice that EAD / AP card was being produced via text and email
  • 04/06/2017 [ Day 117 ] Went to Scheduled Interview. I-485 Approved same day
  • 04/07/2017 [ Day 118 ] Received hard copy notice that EAD / AP card was being produced
  • 04/15/2017 [ Day 128 ] Received EAD / AP and Greencard on the SAME DAY

ROC: I-751  ( 374 DAYS )

Spoiler
  • 01/21/2019 [ Day 000 ] ROC package mailed out by UPS due to gov shutdown ( I-751, sent 20 days late )
  • 01/23/2019 [ Day 002 ] Delivered to Lewisville TX and signed by Edwards
  • 01/29/2019 [ Day 008 ] Check cashed by USCIS Dallas
  • 02/01/2019 [ Day 011 ] Received NOA I-797 receipt # EACxxxx ( Received Date - Jan 23, Notice Date - Jan 28 )
  • 02/25/2019 [ Day 035 ] Received bio-metrics appointment letter ( Notice Date: - Feb 15 2019 )
  • 03/04/2019 [ Day 042 ] Bio-metrics Appointment at Elizabeth, NJ ( Completed )
  • 01/23/2020 [ Day 367 ] I-751 Approved and card ordered. ( Mailed out Jan 27 2020 )
  • 01/30/2020 [ Day 374 ] New Greencard Delivered

Naturalization: N-400  ( 439 DAYS )

Spoiler
  • 02/06/2020 [ Day 000 ] N-400 submitted online ( Eligible 1/5/2020 ). Fee paid by Credit Card.
  • 02/08/2020 [ Day 002 ] Received bio-metrics appointment letter ( Notice Date: - 2/7/2020 )
  • 02/27/2020 [ Day 021 ] Bio-metrics Appointment at Elizabeth, NJ ( Completed )
  • 03/16/2021 [ Day 404 ] Letter for Interview Appointment
  • 04/20/2021 [ Day 439 ] Interview at Mount Laurel, NJ ( Completed )
  • 04/20/2021 [ Day 439 ] Oath Ceremony ( Completed )

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.