rachelann

Sudden Green Card Travel from US to UK and Back?

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My wife is from England and is living with me in Virginia, US with a 2 year green card. 

This morning she received word that her grandfather (in England) died. We are trying to figure out what her traveling to help her grandmother would look like, but it's incredibly overwhelming trying to sort it all out while also reeling from the emotional fall out of what is a devastating loss. She has not traveled at all since living in the US with me, and we are nervous about getting things right.

She just wants to travel to England for a few days/week-ish and then travel back. If that's even realistically possible! She is also fully vaccinated. 

My understanding is that she would have to test negative for COVID 72 hours prior to going to UK, then quarantine at her grandmother's house until she tests negative again 5 days later. It's also my understanding we'd need this all booked ahead of time to show the airline, including the passenger locator form.

Having a harder time figuring out what her return to US would be like, for some reason. Another negative test before and after? Similar process?

Should she be concerned for any other reason about being allowed to travel in and out of either country? 

What should we make sure to do, as we possibly try to arrange this very quickly?

Thank you for any guidance/tips/anecdotes anyone can provide.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

From an immigration standpoint travel is straightforward.  Just present her passport and GC at the immigration counter when she returns.  At this time I believe a negative COVID test ?? Hours before boarding is all that is required to re-enter.

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

consult the airline as Air France (for instance )  is requiring a negative PCR test to board starting August 1st 

i would consult with whatever airline she will travel on to get their requirements

https://www.airfrance.us/US/en/local/resainfovol/meilleuresoffres/COVID19_testing_requirement.htm

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife recently came back from Russia via Moscow, and she got tested prior to departure.  In her case, only the airline (Aeroflot) wanted to see the test results, CBP had no interest, so I agree, check with your airline.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

They have Covid testing at Heathrow. Just have to arrive early enough to get results before boarding to US. Link to test booking.

https://www.collinsongroup.com/en/covid-19-testing/heathrow-airport?utm_source=Heathrow Airport&utm_medium=Website Link&utm_campaign=Heathrow Airport Landing Page

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

The US requires ALL travellers to get a covid-test 48 hours before flying to the US, even citizens. Doesn't have to be a PCR though, a regular rapid/antigen test is perfectly fine, which is also cheaper and faster. 

For England I don't know. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

53 minutes ago, Scandi said:

48 hours before flying

*It's "3 days preceding the flight's departure" OR "written or electronic documentation of recovery from COVID-19 after previous SARS-CoV-2 infection in the form of a positive viral test result and a letter from a licensed health care provider or public health official stating that the passenger has been cleared for travel" https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/Global-Airline-Testing-Order-RPWSigned-Encrypted-p.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.