Chica79

What is the status after i-94 expires (split)

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Chica79 said:

What happens if the - i-94 expires before 485 is completed.  Will my spouse be illegal?  Brought him over on K1.  We are married now.

Once an applicant submits a proper I-485, he/she will be granted "authorized stay" in the US until the I-485 is either approved or denied.

Note:  "Authorized Stay" is not a legal status, but the applicant will not accrue unlawful presence during this time.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline
Just now, Lucky Cat said:

Once an applicant submits a proper I-485, he/she will be granted "authorized stay" in the US until the I-485 is either approved or denied.

How long will it take to get this authorized stay?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, Chica79 said:

Your evidence will be the receipt notice for submission of the I-485.  It will likely take several weeks.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Chica79 said:

What happens if the - i-94 expires before 485 is completed.  Will my spouse be illegal?  Brought him over on K1.  We are married now.

Technically, when the I94 expires the immigrant starts to accrue unlawful presence, however that is forgivable for an immediate relative such as a spouse once the AOS package is submitted.  There is no actual time requirement to file the I485 after a K1 marriage, and we often hear stories of people waiting a year or more before they file, however that can lead to problems.  The best course is to try and file for AOS soon after the marriage and if possible prior to the I94 expiring to avoid any issues.  There are stories out there where people got called before an IJ after something like a minor traffic incident where they were asked for proof of legal status and they had not filed the I485 yet.  I believe the IJ told them to file the I485 ASAP.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Chica79 said:

As I read more cases involving ICE/CBP detaining aliens at various stages the I-485 process and the timing of that filing with respect to the expiration of the I-94 this is my current thinking / understanding: 

* Aliens with no break in authorized presence are never illegal: Neither CBP (at an internal check point within 100 miles of an international border) nor ICE has any legal authority to detain or apprehend the alien beyond the normal check point processing that even US citizens are forced to experience.  

* Aliens with any break in authorized presence are illegal (CBP/ICE have authority to derail or apprehend) until they become LPRs or are readmitted for entry into the USA at a lawful port of entry.  

Thus it is best to file I-485  before the I-94 expires, and have proof of the filing such as a USPS tracking number.  This avoids a break in authorized presence.   Feel free to be somewhere in the USA where CBP or ICE are known to be.  Wanna go to Roswell to learn the true about UFOs? Enjoy.  

If I-485 is filed after the I-94 is expired, the alien is illegal but has authorized presence.  Even after filing I-485,  avoid  encounters with CBP and ICE until the I-485 is decided.  If you have an Advance Parole document I believe encounters with CBP are safe, but no so sure about ICE.  Consider delaying  that trip to New Mexico.  

If the I-485 is denied the spouse’s authorized presence will terminate (typically in 33 days from the date of the denial) unless an appeal is filed or in some cases a new I-485 is filed that addresses the reason for the denial (typically for denials due to the petitioner’s income being insufficient).  

1 hour ago, Chica79 said:

It is immediate upon filing the I-485.  Never file an I-485 without proof of mailing: USPS Priority Mail is the minimum bar and at under $10 for a flat rate mailing it is inexpensive ICE insurance.  Ideally you get the actual receipt for the filing before the I-94 expires.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Hijack post and related replies split off to there own threads. Please do not post questions for your own case in other members threads.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• Ontarkie changed the title to What is the status after i-94 expires (split)
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2021 at 8:23 AM, Mike E said:

until they become LPRs or are readmitted for entry into the USA at a lawful port of entry.

Regardless if there was a gap or not, upon presenting the I-485 NOA1 neither a BP agent (at an internal checkpoint) nor an ICE agent overrule the Secretary of Homeland Securityhttps://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/policy-manual-afm/afm40-external.pdf

Edited by HRQX

Timeline
3 hours ago, HRQX said:

Regardless if there was a gap or not, upon presenting the I-485 NOA1 neither a BP agent (at an internal checkpoint) nor an ICE agent overrule the Secretary of Homeland Securityhttps://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/policy-manual-afm/afm40-external.pdf

25 minutes ago, Mike E said:

That is an outlier where ICE blatantly didn't even follow their own policies. "They never actually registered my case with the court so the court had no idea what was going on. ICE and court weren't communicating."

In that case ICE did not "overrule the Secretary of Homeland Security." They improperly subverted his authority.

Timeline
30 minutes ago, HRQX said:

That is an outlier where ICE blatantly didn't even follow their own policies. "They never actually registered my case with the court so the court had no idea what was going on. ICE and court weren't communicating."

In that case ICE did not "overrule the Secretary of Homeland Security." They improperly subverted his authority.

Whether that is true or not, it doesn’t change the practical reality

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.