399 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, AMSS said:

I Got my NOA1 last Wednesday. ☺️

🇩🇴 👏🏽will always clap for my paisanos🇩🇴👏🏽

Edited by Sellamalola

8 hours ago, Nelson0308 said:

Got my noa1 today 

Another paisano 🇩🇴👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽 I got mine today too so double clap 👏🏽 👏🏽

Sent my husband's I-751 today, 7/24 via USPS. Delivery is scheduled for Tuesday 7/27. A few questions:

1. How do you know which service center your account gets routed to? And do they really have such varied timelines?

2. My husband's GC expires 9/26/21. I know he will get a NOA1...does he somehow use that to keep his job, which told him that if his GC expires he will lose his job that same day?

3. His driver's license also expires on September 26th -- any idea if you can use the NOA1 to extend the driver's license? He drives to work, so that would suck if not...

What is the best and worst case timeline scenario (on average) to get the 10 year GC?

Can't believe we have to do this again....ugh....

1 hour ago, americaninlove said:

Sent my husband's I-751 today, 7/24 via USPS. Delivery is scheduled for Tuesday 7/27. A few questions:

1. How do you know which service center your account gets routed to? And do they really have such varied timelines?

2. My husband's GC expires 9/26/21. I know he will get a NOA1...does he somehow use that to keep his job, which told him that if his GC expires he will lose his job that same day?

3. His driver's license also expires on September 26th -- any idea if you can use the NOA1 to extend the driver's license? He drives to work, so that would suck if not...

What is the best and worst case timeline scenario (on average) to get the 10 year GC?

Can't believe we have to do this again....ugh....

Yep, this process sucks... I don't know if your spouse came to the US with K-1 or CR-1 visa, but RoC sure is an annoyance nonetheless.

Someone more experienced may be able to comment more in depth, but the consensus on VisaJourney is that since a couple of years back all CR-1's will be interviewed, and are routed to National Benefits Center in Missouri (MSC). K-1's are either interviewed or if evidence is strong enough, interview can be waived by USCIS doscretion.

I just got my biometrics appointment coming up (had to reschedule because of trip to Europe, urgh), and we sent my package back in November last year. I believe @Lucky Cat is one of the most patient ones, having been waiting for RoC completion since early 2019 😞

NOA1 gives you nowadays an 18 month GC extension, and if you are not finished with RoC after that, you can schedule an InfoPass appointment at a local USCIS Service Center to get a I-551 in a passport.

While the proof of legal status may expire, the conditional permanent resident's legal status doesn't just because the document has expired. It is illegal for employers to reverify work authorization, or to deny employment because the green card is about to expire. No need to inform employer of expired green card, If being hired to a new job, however, your spouse would need the expired GC and NOA1. USCIS form I-9 also provides option to use valid ID and Social Security Card for authorization if the latter is not restricted.

Someone else can hopefully provide information how the DMV operates in your state. I've seen on VJ that in some states a new ID/license is issued only for the validity of the NOA1. Here in CA I got a full five-year ID in 2019 although I only had a two-year GC.

Edit: Hopefully USCIS has picked up speed getting those NOA's out. Back in November it took a whole month and a half to get the NOA1. At the time USPS felt like a very unreliable option, so we just bit the bullet and sent my package by UPS 2-Day. At least you are sending your package with a plenty of time until the expiration of the GC.

Edited by Locito

Getting there, slowly but surely...  (I hope )

Together (well...mostly the Transatlanticism kind of together) Since 12/2013

CR-1:

Married in Sweden 8/2017
(Well Frontloaded) I-130 Sent 12/2017
CR-1 Approved 10/2018
POE LAX 01/11/2019

I-751:

I-751 Package Sent with UPS 11/11/2020
I-751 Received by the AZ Lockbox 11/13/2020
I-751 Check Cashed 12/31/2020
I-797 (with My Last Name Misspelled...) Received by Mail 1/2/2021

Biometrics Appointment Received by Mail...too bad I am in Europe right when it's supposed to take place 🤯 6/14/2021

Rescheduled Biometrics Appointment, the biometric technician can't change the misspelled name on file, but he enters the correct spelling of my last name as an alias 8/2/2021

Interview Ready to Be Scheduled 10/13/2021

(Two Days Later) Interview Was Scheduled 😱 10/15/2021

I-751 Interview, Petition Approved 🥳 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to New Card Is Being Produced 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to Case Was Approved 11/22/2021

Green Card Arrived in the Mail (Name Correctly Spelling, w00t) 11/27/2021

When USCIS Misspells Your Name:

Typographical error form filled on USCIS website 1/4/2021
Contacted USCIS if there has been any progress since THEIR error (Received a Tier 1 tracking number) 2/6/2021
Contacted USCIS again as the issue remains to be resolved (Received ANOTHER Tier 1 tracking number) 3/12/2021
Apparently USCIS chat is worthless; CALLED USCIS, Tier 1 agent promised that a Tier 2 agent would call me 4/28/2021
Received a call from a nice Tier 2 officer who said I may or may not get a correct extension letter, but just in case I would be scheduled an InfoPASS appointment 5/4/2021
Went to local USCIS service center and had to deal with a nasty and entitled customer service agent who refused to give me an I-551 stamp. National Benefits Center is supposed to mail me another I-797 within 7-10 days... So I had to waste my day, taking buses for two hours one-way just to deal with this lady's attitude? 5/7/2021

After anxiously monitoring our mailbox for a few days I DID receive a corrected I-797, w00t! All documents good to go Vaccinated Ready to visit my parents in Europe for the first time in 17 months!!  5/13/2021

The lesson: Don't use the chat for anything complicated, AND keep hassling USCIS for a response...

13 hours ago, americaninlove said:

If your spouse came on CR-1, then the petition will get routed to the National Benefits Center (MSC). There is no way to know their processing times as USCIS does not include the NBC on the processing times website. 

If your spouse adjusted status from k-1 or any other visa, then your location determines where the file goes. You are in Pennsylvania. Most likely, USCIS will route your file to the Vermont Service Center. 

Yes, each Service Center has its own pace. Right now, Texas is the fastest. I think Vermont is second. 

11 hours ago, Locito said:

It is illegal for employers to re-verify eligibility for employment. If needed, he can show the NOA/extension letter. However, his employer should know not to ask for it. I can tell you that HR did not ask my husband for anything. If he starts a new job, then he would show the expired green card and extension letter. 

11 hours ago, Locito said:

You need to check with the DMV in Philadelphia. They should accept the extension as proof of legal presence. Some states will grant a driver's license for 18 months and others will grant it for longer. 

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

7 hours ago, USC4SPOUSE said:

Text

I think the quotes #2 and #3 in the post above were by the original poster, and not me 😊

Getting there, slowly but surely...  (I hope )

Together (well...mostly the Transatlanticism kind of together) Since 12/2013

CR-1:

Married in Sweden 8/2017
(Well Frontloaded) I-130 Sent 12/2017
CR-1 Approved 10/2018
POE LAX 01/11/2019

I-751:

I-751 Package Sent with UPS 11/11/2020
I-751 Received by the AZ Lockbox 11/13/2020
I-751 Check Cashed 12/31/2020
I-797 (with My Last Name Misspelled...) Received by Mail 1/2/2021

Biometrics Appointment Received by Mail...too bad I am in Europe right when it's supposed to take place 🤯 6/14/2021

Rescheduled Biometrics Appointment, the biometric technician can't change the misspelled name on file, but he enters the correct spelling of my last name as an alias 8/2/2021

Interview Ready to Be Scheduled 10/13/2021

(Two Days Later) Interview Was Scheduled 😱 10/15/2021

I-751 Interview, Petition Approved 🥳 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to New Card Is Being Produced 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to Case Was Approved 11/22/2021

Green Card Arrived in the Mail (Name Correctly Spelling, w00t) 11/27/2021

When USCIS Misspells Your Name:

Typographical error form filled on USCIS website 1/4/2021
Contacted USCIS if there has been any progress since THEIR error (Received a Tier 1 tracking number) 2/6/2021
Contacted USCIS again as the issue remains to be resolved (Received ANOTHER Tier 1 tracking number) 3/12/2021
Apparently USCIS chat is worthless; CALLED USCIS, Tier 1 agent promised that a Tier 2 agent would call me 4/28/2021
Received a call from a nice Tier 2 officer who said I may or may not get a correct extension letter, but just in case I would be scheduled an InfoPASS appointment 5/4/2021
Went to local USCIS service center and had to deal with a nasty and entitled customer service agent who refused to give me an I-551 stamp. National Benefits Center is supposed to mail me another I-797 within 7-10 days... So I had to waste my day, taking buses for two hours one-way just to deal with this lady's attitude? 5/7/2021

After anxiously monitoring our mailbox for a few days I DID receive a corrected I-797, w00t! All documents good to go Vaccinated Ready to visit my parents in Europe for the first time in 17 months!!  5/13/2021

The lesson: Don't use the chat for anything complicated, AND keep hassling USCIS for a response...

4 hours ago, Locito said:

I think the quotes #2 and #3 in the post above were by the original poster, and not me 😊

Ha! I am sorry! I see now that I quoted OP from your response to OP. It's possible the system glitched there. :) 

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

Late July filer. Delivered Friday 07/23/2021. No text message yet but It has only been 2 business days.

Came in on a K1 and in Texas so hoping I get routed through that office.

Delivered 7/16/2021. No text, NOA, check cashed. Based on the sheet it appears we did something wrong.

How long should we wait until re-sending it?

4 hours ago, telos1 said:

Delivered 7/16/2021. No text, NOA, check cashed. Based on the sheet it appears we did something wrong.

How long should we wait until re-sending it?

I see that you put in the spreadsheet that your conditional green card expires on 10/15/2021. Is that correct? And are you filing jointly with your spouse? If yes and your package got to USCIS on the 07/16/2021, it will most likely be rejected for being filed too early. According to this calculator (https://www.uscis.gov/forms/filing-calculator-for-form-i-751-filing-jointly-with-your-spouse), your earliest filing date is 07/17/2021.

(Although they might not have opened your package the same day it got delivered--I'm not sure if they look at the date they received it to make sure you're in the 90-day period.)

Anyway, if your package got rejected for that reason, then you're probably safe to wait for USCIS to send your package back to you so that you can resend it. Depends on your risk tolerance / hate for trees as you'll be reprinting everything all over again :)

48 minutes ago, SweetPotato said:

I see that you put in the spreadsheet that your conditional green card expires on 10/15/2021. Is that correct? And are you filing jointly with your spouse? If yes and your package got to USCIS on the 07/16/2021, it will most likely be rejected for being filed too early. According to this calculator (https://www.uscis.gov/forms/filing-calculator-for-form-i-751-filing-jointly-with-your-spouse), your earliest filing date is 07/17/2021.

(Although they might not have opened your package the same day it got delivered--I'm not sure if they look at the date they received it to make sure you're in the 90-day period.)

Anyway, if your package got rejected for that reason, then you're probably safe to wait for USCIS to send your package back to you so that you can resend it. Depends on your risk tolerance / hate for trees as you'll be reprinting everything all over again :)

You know I probably looked at that 15 times.  How stupid.  Do you know if they generally send it back pretty fast?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.