19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

When should I consider filing WOM?

I'm still within normal processing times for Miami FL: 13-33 months. It has been 21 months since filing the AOS and I haven't received an interview date yet. Should I wait to be outside normal processing times before filing WOM?

Timeline:

I-485 filing date: 10/8/2019 

Biometrics: 10/31/2019 

RFE for AOS: 11/4/2019 

Response to RFE: 12/13/2019

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

The decision could go either way.  Are you prepared in case you get a swift denial?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

A Lawyer would file a WoM, do you have a Lawyer, what do they say?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I don't have a lawyer yet. I read that in most WOM cases, the USCIS finish the processing faster and submit final result instead of contesting case in court, so I am considering to file the WOM myself, without a lawyer. I want to make sure that I have a strong case, so I might wait to be outside normal processing times. @Lucky Cat do you think that there is high probability of denial since I didn't have an interview? I understand that if it has been 2 years since marriage, then in some cases they waive the interview?

Timeline
2 hours ago, Boiler said:

A Lawyer would file a WoM, do you have a Lawyer, what do they say?

I haven't consulted with a lawyer yet. I'm a DIY guy... But I guess I'll start with a consultation to understand what's the probability of WOM.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
49 minutes ago, Gomast said:

I don't have a lawyer yet. I read that in most WOM cases, the USCIS finish the processing faster and submit final result instead of contesting case in court, so I am considering to file the WOM myself, without a lawyer. I want to make sure that I have a strong case, so I might wait to be outside normal processing times. @Lucky Cat do you think that there is high probability of denial since I didn't have an interview? I understand that if it has been 2 years since marriage, then in some cases they waive the interview?

I don't know.  We have seen both approvals and denials after a WOM.  I would absolutely consult an experienced attorney.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

8 hours ago, Gomast said:

When should I consider filing WOM?

I'm still within normal processing times for Miami FL: 13-33 months. It has been 21 months since filing the AOS and I haven't received an interview date yet. Should I wait to be outside normal processing times before filing WOM?

Timeline:

I-485 filing date: 10/8/2019 

Biometrics: 10/31/2019 

RFE for AOS: 11/4/2019 

Response to RFE: 12/13/2019

@Gomast The current case receipt inquiry date is 10/16/18. I would not take the WOM just yet.

right now, they are approving 50% of the cases within 13 months and 93% of the cases within 33 months.

of course, covid happened, etc. 

question for you, why do you think is taking so long? Did you submit enough evidence of bona fide marriage with your AOS filing? do you think maybe the background checks are taking too long? (You got your combo card. So the issue is probably not the background checks).

you could always apply to jobs that require having a green card. If you get a job offer, you could reach out to your us senator or congress person and ask them to request your interview yo be scheduled. 

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, USC4SPOUSE said:

@Gomast The current case receipt inquiry date is 10/16/18. I would not take the WOM just yet.

right now, they are approving 50% of the cases within 13 months and 93% of the cases within 33 months.

of course, covid happened, etc. 

question for you, why do you think is taking so long? Did you submit enough evidence of bona fide marriage with your AOS filing? do you think maybe the background checks are taking too long? (You got your combo card. So the issue is probably not the background checks).

you could always apply to jobs that require having a green card. If you get a job offer, you could reach out to your us senator or congress person and ask them to request your interview yo be scheduled. 

OMG, did I mess up?! I only submitted our marriage certificate, photo of our wedding in the court house, photo of our wedding party with our families and that’s all for the evidence of marriage! Now that it has been 2 years of marriage I have a lot more that I can submit, such as joint bank accounts, car insurance, medical insurance, utility bills etc. but I didn’t submit any of these documents because I filed for AOS 6 weeks after our marriage. Can I submit additional proof or is it too late? Wouldn’t the USCIS send an RFE if there was insufficient evidence?

* technically I don’t have a combo card. I had a travel document which already expired. The application to renew it is still pending and EAD was approved a few months ago. 

1 minute ago, Gomast said:

OMG, did I mess up?! I only submitted our marriage certificate, photo of our wedding in the court house, photo of our wedding party with our families and that’s all for the evidence of marriage! Now that it has been 2 years of marriage I have a lot more that I can submit, such as joint bank accounts, car insurance, medical insurance, utility bills etc. but I didn’t submit any of these documents because I filed for AOS 6 weeks after our marriage. Can I submit additional proof or is it too late? Wouldn’t the USCIS send an RFE if there was insufficient evidence?

* technically I don’t have a combo card. I had a travel document which already expired. The application to renew it is still pending and EAD was approved a few months ago. 

Did you adjust from K-1?

I-751 Joint Filing.

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

If you adjusted from K-1, what you submitted is fine. If you didn’t adjust from K-1, then its always a good idea to submit evidence since you met or started dating.

I-751 Joint Filing.

Timeline
34 minutes ago, USC4SPOUSE said:

If you adjusted from K-1, what you submitted is fine. If you didn’t adjust from K-1, then its always a good idea to submit evidence since you met or started dating.

Yes, I adjusted from K-1. So  I’ll wait another year until I’ll file the WOM. 

2 minutes ago, Gomast said:

Yes, I adjusted from K-1. So  I’ll wait another year until I’ll file the WOM. 

They will approve you. Miami is just a busy field office. They’re probably really behind.

on the upside, you’ll qualify for the 10 year green card after all is said and done

I-751 Joint Filing.

11 hours ago, Gomast said:

I think you are confused. Do you think filing a WOM without having had an interview will force an approval??

What is the published processing time of your LFO?  If you're going to sue to get a GC without an interview, within processing time, you're wasting money and heading for disappointment.

6 hours ago, Gomast said:

We submitted hardly any of that.  We had sent our packet in like two weeks after marriage, so there was not much to submit.  We had our interview after 14 months, and brought everything then.  This is the typical process for adjusting from a K-1.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.