mcod

K1 Visa Same-sex

8 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

I hope someone can help me a bit. I met  my ex wife in 2016 while she was studying we married and i sponsored her . She knew i was bi-sexual fast forward now. We have been separated for 6 months and  soon to be divorced. I met this man online and visited him . I want to get married with him but i need to apply for k1 visa first. Is there any problem that i sponsored a woman before and now a man.?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

No. They are aware that bisexual people exist. :) 

If there were a problem, it would be in how quickly you're petitioning for someone else -- not the gender of the beneficiary.

Edited by xxlian

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Your genders do not matter, but you need to be eligible to marry when you file the I-129F. Check to make sure your state does not require a waiting period after a divorce before being able to remarry.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
10 hours ago, mcod said:

We have been separated for 6 months and  soon to be divorced. I met this man online and visited him . I want to get married with him but i need to apply for k1 visa first.

If you decide to file an I-129F petition for your new boyfriend, you will need to get legally divorced first, so you can mark "divorced" for your marital status at the time of filing, provide the name and divorce date from your current wife, and include a copy of the official divorce decree.  So focus on ending your current marriage before you start down the path to file for someone else.  Depending on the state where you live, it can be a very long process, especially if your current wife contests the divorce.  Or you might consider getting married to your boyfriend after your divorce is final and file an I-130 petition for a spousal visa, which has many advantages over a K-1.  Your case might get some extra scrutiny because the evidence of visiting your boyfriend (passport stamps, original boarding passes, photos, hotel receipts, etc.) will show that you were still married to your wife then, so just be aware of that.  Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Nothing to add here except I’m really excited to see same sex couples getting visas. My husband and I were married in 2006 and his cousin was trying to get a nursing visa here in the US but had to turn one down because he had a same sex union. We’re hoping to get him over here some day. Best wishes!

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this post...Yes I'm happy same sex couples are getting visas. When I met my current partner I wasn't even aware that was possible until I heard it from someone else and I started the k1 process. Because in my country of Dominican republic same sex marriage is not allowed so k1 is was my only option to bring her over to the united states. I am so happy I was able to accomplish that.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 7/16/2021 at 10:39 AM, B&O0302 said:

Just found this post...Yes I'm happy same sex couples are getting visas. When I met my current partner I wasn't even aware that was possible until I heard it from someone else and I started the k1 process. Because in my country of Dominican republic same sex marriage is not allowed so k1 is was my only option to bring her over to the united states. I am so happy I was able to accomplish that.

Same sex relationship is accepted and acknowledged by USCIS a very long time ago...Even on this site, if you check postings from many years back, then you will find same sex marriages and relationship and their journey for US immigration. In your case, did you file anything? How things are going so far in your case?

• 10 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Zombie thread locked to further replies. If you would like to discuss politics or policies of any sorts find the proper forum and do not hijack another members thread.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.