Habibati & Habibi

N400 Application and Supporting Documents

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi VJs

I am planning to apply for US citizenship based on the 3 years rule as being married to US citizen and I am collecting document supporting my application, but I have questions if anyone can assist please.

1- When they say submit any documents referring to you and you spouse? if we submit statements of joint bank account or utility bills, do we have to submit a one month bill/statement or we must submit statement/bills of the whole time since we were married?

2- what documents are strong and support my application?

3- what is the difference between : Tax return and internal revenue service certified copies of the income tax forms and IRS tax return transcript?

Any advise or suggestion is welcomed, and thank you all.

----------------------------------------------

Diversity is the Spice of life and I add ; translation is the mother of all sciences.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

1. I suggest a few for each year you were married. For example I submitted 3 months worth of bank statements for each year we had the account. They want to see it’s actually used and not something that was opened just for “show” which is where the multiple statements/per comes in.

2. ID’s showing the same address, joint bank account with transactions, same health insurance plan, beneficiary on 401k/403b, on the same car insurance, etc. We didn’t have a lease/utilities but if we did I would have submitted that as well. If you have children their birth certificate. Our daughter was born after and at the interview they asked to look at her birth certificate.

3. unsure of the difference but highly suggest you download the IRS tax transcripts and submit those for each year. I *believe* if you sent the tax returns you would need your w2s as well but not 100% sure. 

In my opinion you really don’t need too much. I believe we submitted what I listed above an no RfEs/issue at the interview. Good luck.

Edited by Luckycuds

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

When i added my husband to accounts ,  i received a document showing date he was added

1.  i used copy of those 

bank gave us a notice

water bill gave us a notice

i copied the property tax bill to show he was on there

2.  any joint accounts (bank ,, auto insurance,  both DL showing same address,  credit card statements )  i did block account #'s on statements leaving only names and adderess

3.  IRS transcript come directly from IRS (they are not certified and are several pages long )but they confirm your wages without sending in  the W2 / if you submit copy of your 1040 ,  you need to submit W2's and any 1099 you may have recd

BTW  if you were or are under 26,  did you register with selective service when you came to US?

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Thank you Guys for the replies,

Do you have to take your wife with you to the interview?

Diversity is the Spice of life and I add ; translation is the mother of all sciences.

Timeline
On 5/31/2021 at 10:41 PM, Luckycuds said:

1. I suggest a few for each year you were married. For example I submitted 3 months worth of bank statements for each year we had the account. They want to see it’s actually used and not something that was opened just for “show” which is where the multiple statements/per comes in.

2. ID’s showing the same address, joint bank account with transactions, same health insurance plan, beneficiary on 401k/403b, on the same car insurance, etc. We didn’t have a lease/utilities but if we did I would have submitted that as well. If you have children their birth certificate. Our daughter was born after and at the interview they asked to look at her birth certificate.

3. unsure of the difference but highly suggest you download the IRS tax transcripts and submit those for each year. I *believe* if you sent the tax returns you would need your w2s as well but not 100% sure. 

In my opinion you really don’t need too much. I believe we submitted what I listed above an no RfEs/issue at the interview. Good luck.

LuckyCuds, you seem to be from the same state like me, how long it took you to get approved? can you please provide me with list of the documents you sent?

did you applied online or by paper?

Thank you 

Timeline
10 hours ago, Habibati & Habibi said:

LuckyCuds, you seem to be from the same state like me, how long it took you to get approved? can you please provide me with list of the documents you sent?

did you applied online or by paper?

Thank you 

Hello we applied online- I see no benefit of applying by mail. It took 12 months total. Applied February 14 - interview February 8.  Submitted based on 3 years marriage. We sent tax transcripts from IRS, copy of both our drivers license (same address) 3 monthly checking account statements from each year we were married, proof we are on same health insurance, proof husband is the beneficiary to my 403b, I think proof we are in same auto insurance.. I think that’s it. Our baby was born during the process so brought her birth certificate to the interview and they made a copy. 
We never had any RFEs or red flags our entire immigration process. Good luck!

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Adjustment of Status

EAD

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Timeline

Thank you for the reply

RED Flag or REF, is it possible they red Flag someone after having three interviews?

we got approved for I-751 and i want to file based on 3 year rule

we don't have joint accounts, but we feel taxes jointly, reason is my wife has bad credit, an d an new to establishing credit. during removal of condition IO did not say anything about it when we said we don't have a joint account instead he approved us right away said we have given a lot of evidence, like health insurance , 401 and joint utilities.

Thank you 

Timeline
9 hours ago, Habibati & Habibi said:

Thank you for the reply

RED Flag or REF, is it possible they red Flag someone after having three interviews?

we got approved for I-751 and i want to file based on 3 year rule

we don't have joint accounts, but we feel taxes jointly, reason is my wife has bad credit, an d an new to establishing credit. during removal of condition IO did not say anything about it when we said we don't have a joint account instead he approved us right away said we have given a lot of evidence, like health insurance , 401 and joint utilities.

Thank you 

What do you mean you had 3 interview?

if you didn’t have issues with ROC then I don’t see why you would now. Good luck. I think the N400 was the easiest process.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Adjustment of Status

EAD

Timeline
On 6/12/2021 at 10:25 PM, Luckycuds said:

What do you mean you had 3 interview?

if you didn’t have issues with ROC then I don’t see why you would now. Good luck. I think the N400 was the easiest process.

What I mean is that I had three interviews during my immigration process.

One when applied for Visa to enter USA, two, when applying for the years conditional Green Card AOS, three when removing the condition on GC.

and I was wondering if you will have to also bring your wife to the interview for the N400?

Timeline
On 6/14/2021 at 9:08 PM, Habibati & Habibi said:

What I mean is that I had three interviews during my immigration process.

One when applied for Visa to enter USA, two, when applying for the years conditional Green Card AOS, three when removing the condition on GC.

and I was wondering if you will have to also bring your wife to the interview for the N400?

It's normal. Your previous interviews don't have an impact on N400. They were clearly successful otherwise you wouldn't be applying for citizenship :) I went to the interview with my husband but I stayed in the waiting room. I was there for moral support (and was the driver 😜) but it worked out because he had his oath ceremony the same day so I was able to be there for that as well.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Adjustment of Status

EAD

On 5/31/2021 at 7:14 PM, Habibati & Habibi said:

do we have to submit a one month bill/statement or we must submit statement/bills of the whole time since we were married?

Remember that the requirement is not just married for 3 years but living in marital union (together) for 3 years. So past evidence of living together (does not need to be for every single month) is recommended. 

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 5/31/2021 at 9:43 PM, JeanneAdil said:

When i added my husband to accounts ,  i received a document showing date he was added

1.  i used copy of those 

bank gave us a notice

water bill gave us a notice

i copied the property tax bill to show he was on there

2.  any joint accounts (bank ,, auto insurance,  both DL showing same address,  credit card statements )  i did block account #'s on statements leaving only names and adderess

3.  IRS transcript come directly from IRS (they are not certified and are several pages long )but they confirm your wages without sending in  the W2 / if you submit copy of your 1040 ,  you need to submit W2's and any 1099 you may have recd

BTW  if you were or are under 26,  did you register with selective service when you came to US?

Did you attach pictures to your application?

Timeline
On 6/12/2021 at 6:08 AM, Lucky2Lucky said:

Hello we applied online- I see no benefit of applying by mail. It took 12 months total. Applied February 14 - interview February 8.  Submitted based on 3 years marriage. We sent tax transcripts from IRS, copy of both our drivers license (same address) 3 monthly checking account statements from each year we were married, proof we are on same health insurance, proof husband is the beneficiary to my 403b, I think proof we are in same auto insurance.. I think that’s it. Our baby was born during the process so brought her birth certificate to the interview and they made a copy. 
We never had any RFEs or red flags our entire immigration process. Good luck!

@lucky2lucky. Do I need to attach pictures to the application? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Godisincontrol said:

Did you attach pictures to your application?

with the original petition i added 25 - 3 copied from computer to 8x11 sheet of paper and labeled them with month/year and people

a few of my wedding celebration,  a few of a later trip for a honeymoon and a few of other trips 

Timeline
2 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

with the original petition i added 25 - 3 copied from computer to 8x11 sheet of paper and labeled them with month/year and people

a few of my wedding celebration,  a few of a later trip for a honeymoon and a few of other trips 

I added some pictures to my i751. So I don't have to add to N 400. Right? And My i175 is still is in processing, but I’ve qualified for Neutralisation.

Edited by Godisincontrol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.