JKLSemicolon

2020 joint tax returns with W-7/ITIN Application - post your timelines

65 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I finally got a response but it was not the one I wanted :(  I am being asked to provide my husband's passport.  Obviously I don't have that.  In my ITIN application, I included as a supporting document, a SCANNED certified copy of his passport.  On the letter they sent, it sounds like they want his original passport, but in the instructions they say they will accept a certified copy of his passport.  I guess the issue was that I basically sent them a copy of the certified copy of the passport.  When I went to visit my husband this summer, I got the original certified copy of his passport, but I am afraid that if I send the original certified copy of the passport they will reject it.  You might wonder why I sent the scanned copy of the passport to begin with: we decided last minute to file married filing jointly and I didn't have time to get the original certified copy of the passport from my husband.  Should I send the orginal certified copy of the passport and hope they accept it?  Any thoughts?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
58 minutes ago, sarabou17 said:

I finally got a response but it was not the one I wanted :(  I am being asked to provide my husband's passport.  Obviously I don't have that.  In my ITIN application, I included as a supporting document, a SCANNED certified copy of his passport.  On the letter they sent, it sounds like they want his original passport, but in the instructions they say they will accept a certified copy of his passport.  I guess the issue was that I basically sent them a copy of the certified copy of the passport.  When I went to visit my husband this summer, I got the original certified copy of his passport, but I am afraid that if I send the original certified copy of the passport they will reject it.  You might wonder why I sent the scanned copy of the passport to begin with: we decided last minute to file married filing jointly and I didn't have time to get the original certified copy of the passport from my husband.  Should I send the orginal certified copy of the passport and hope they accept it?  Any thoughts?

You must send either the original ID of a certified copy. If the certified copy meets the requirement (meaning it's not a notarized copy) the application will be approved.

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Ayrton said:

You must send either the original ID of a certified copy. If the certified copy meets the requirement (meaning it's not a notarized copy) the application will be approved.

Thanks for your input!  It says certified copy and has the signature of a couple of government officials like the General Secretary of his province, and it has a seal.  To me it couldn't be more certified.  I will probably send it and take my chances.  

My wife's document was the original certified copy of her Philippine passport.  It was a color photocopy of her passport attached to a formal certification letter from the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs Passport Division that certified it was a true copy.  It was on official letterhead, embossed with a raised seal and signed by a Philippine DFA official.  IRS was happy with that.  It was the only document we sent.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On 9/7/2021 at 9:34 PM, top_secret said:

My wife's document was the original certified copy of her Philippine passport.  It was a color photocopy of her passport attached to a formal certification letter from the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs Passport Division that certified it was a true copy.  It was on official letterhead, embossed with a raised seal and signed by a Philippine DFA official.  IRS was happy with that.  It was the only document we sent.

I ended up sending the original of the certified copy of passport. We will see what happens.  Any who has already received their ITIN they applied for this year in the group, has your 2020 return been processed or have you been able to get your transcript?  I need my transcript for the NVC and I'm wondering how long this is going to take!  They are still processing my husband's ITIN and it's almost October!

1 hour ago, sarabou17 said:

I ended up sending the original of the certified copy of passport. We will see what happens.  Any who has already received their ITIN they applied for this year in the group, has your 2020 return been processed or have you been able to get your transcript?  I need my transcript for the NVC and I'm wondering how long this is going to take!  They are still processing my husband's ITIN and it's almost October!

We filed May 5, received the ITIN Aug 26,  and until now no return and no acknowledgement from the IRS of receipt of our filed return other than the ITIN itself which means obviously they have it.  I'm guessing maybe we may here something in a month or so.  Although our 2020 "Return Transcript" remains unavailable to this date, my 2020 "Wage and Income Transcript" has been available since June, probably based on the W2 submitted by my employer and 1099's submitted by brokerage and retirement accounts.  NVC expresses a preference for Return Transcripts, but since none exists for 2020, we successfully DQ'd with our filed 2020 1040, W2's and 1099's and for good measure I uploaded the 2020 "Wage and Income Transcript" for the Embassy after we got our interview date.  So that is what they are going into their interview with October 5. 

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.

Timeline
12 hours ago, top_secret said:

We filed May 5, received the ITIN Aug 26,  and until now no return and no acknowledgement from the IRS of receipt of our filed return other than the ITIN itself which means obviously they have it.  I'm guessing maybe we may here something in a month or so.  Although our 2020 "Return Transcript" remains unavailable to this date, my 2020 "Wage and Income Transcript" has been available since June, probably based on the W2 submitted by my employer and 1099's submitted by brokerage and retirement accounts.  NVC expresses a preference for Return Transcripts, but since none exists for 2020, we successfully DQ'd with our filed 2020 1040, W2's and 1099's and for good measure I uploaded the 2020 "Wage and Income Transcript" for the Embassy after we got our interview date.  So that is what they are going into their interview with October 5. 

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.  It really helps! Best of luck and hope you guys are together soon! :)

Timeline
21 hours ago, top_secret said:

Should I include a letter to NVC (along with 2020 tax return) explaining why I don't have the 2020 transcript at the moment? 

1 minute ago, sarabou17 said:

Should I include a letter to NVC (along with 2020 tax return) explaining why I don't have the 2020 transcript at the moment? 

I put a brief note in the comments field when I uploaded my return to CEAC but I didn't have any kind of separate explanation letter.  What does seem to be very important if you do not have a transcript is the W-2's.  I had a page with my W-2 and 1099's as the first page of my 1040 PDF and I had no problem.  But I have seen countless posts here and elsewhere recently where people said they got a RFE saying "please upload all W-2's for 2020".  

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

Timeline

2 minutes ago, top_secret said:

I put a brief note in the comments field when I uploaded my return to CEAC but I didn't have any kind of separate explanation letter.  What does seem to be very important if you do not have a transcript is the W-2's.  I had a page with my W-2 and 1099's as the first page of my 1040 PDF and I had no problem.  But I have seen countless posts here and elsewhere recently where people said they got a RFE saying "please upload all W-2's for 2020".  

Ok that's great to know.  Thanks so much!  Just one more question, when you uploaded the 2020 tax return, besides the W2s, 1099 and 1040, did you also include the other parts of the return, like any schedules or  the Form W7 ITIN application , and copy of passport, or Power of Attorney form?

1 minute ago, sarabou17 said:

Ok that's great to know.  Thanks so much!  Just one more question, when you uploaded the 2020 tax return, besides the W2s, 1099 and 1040, did you also include the other parts of the return, like any schedules or  the Form W7 ITIN application , and copy of passport, or Power of Attorney form?

Me personally, I did include all the schedules.  I uploaded the W2 and 1099's, the 1040, and all the Schedules and forms necessary for filing.  For us, Schedule D, Form 8949, Form 8606.  I reasoned that the W-7 and associated documents needed to apply for an ITIN was a separate issue and process, and therefor was NOT "part of the return" so I did NOT include any of that.  I put my latest pay slip with the date and year to date earnings highlighted under as "Proof of current or self employment" I uploaded my Passport as proof of US Citizenship and my California drivers license as proof of domicile under "other documents".  Better safe than get an RFE.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
17 hours ago, sarabou17 said:

A “complete tax return” includes the 1040, all Schedules and Forms*, and W2/1099 wage statements.

*If it has an attachment sequence number (see below), include it as part of your tax return for NVC. If it doesn’t have an attachment sequence number,  it’s extra stuff or worksheets the tax program created for your records and not part of your actual return. 

IMG_3217.PNG.ca10e05de2a25c599a1c928713d2f46b.PNG

Timeline
21 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

A “complete tax return” includes the 1040, all Schedules and Forms*, and W2/1099 wage statements.

*If it has an attachment sequence number (see below), include it as part of your tax return for NVC. If it doesn’t have an attachment sequence number,  it’s extra stuff or worksheets the tax program created for your records and not part of your actual return. 

IMG_3217.PNG.ca10e05de2a25c599a1c928713d2f46b.PNG

Thanks so much!  This is super helpful.  We spoke with the IRS today and they said it will be 9-11 weeks still just to process the ITIN.  They said they are very behind.  I hope it's faster than that.  I tried to reach out to the Tax Payer Advocate service but they won't get involved until the tax return is processed, which hasn't happened yet.  I'm thinking I should have just filed Married Filing Seperately, but I didn't know our i130 petition would get approved this soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

My USC husband filed his 2020 taxes married joint + application for ITIN number back in July 2021. We still haven't heard back from the IRS. It has been 13 weeks! We personally went to the actual IRS office to give in his return - and notarise my passport. They stamped our copy of tax return and W7 form as 'received' which I will bring to the interview.

I am also very anxious as we do not have the 2020 transcript. We are currently at NVC stage, submitted 15 September. We uploaded his tax return 2020, tax extension receipt, 1099's, previous 3 years transcripts, bank statements, property leases, employment letter from his boss where he has worked 20+ years as an independent self contractor. 

I hope we will be ok at the NVC stage and interview. This transcript thing is really bugging me. Has anybody been successful in contacting IRS and locating where their application is? Also, in case NVC or interviewer do ask for the 2020 transcript, what is the best way to explain the situation? 

Edited by whiterabbitt

1 hour ago, whiterabbitt said:

Hello everyone!

My USC husband filed his 2020 taxes married joint + application for ITIN number back in July 2021. We still haven't heard back from the IRS. It has been 13 weeks! We personally went to the actual IRS office to give in his return - and notarise my passport. They stamped our copy of tax return and W7 form as 'received' which I will bring to the interview.

I am also very anxious as we do not have the 2020 transcript. We are currently at NVC stage, submitted 15 September. We uploaded his tax return 2020, tax extension receipt, 1099's, previous 3 years transcripts, bank statements, property leases, employment letter from his boss where he has worked 20+ years as an independent self contractor. 

I hope we will be ok at the NVC stage and interview. This transcript thing is really bugging me. Has anybody been successful in contacting IRS and locating where their application is? Also, in case NVC or interviewer do ask for the 2020 transcript, what is the best way to explain the situation? 

As an update, although we received the ITIN in August the return itself has still not been processed, meaning a transcript is still not available either.

Our situation was slightly different in that when I uploaded documents to NVC in March 2021, the 2020 tax filing deadline had not yet arrived. At that time I uploaded a 2017, 2018, and 2019 tax transcript to NVC.

Once the (August 2021) interview date had been scheduled, I did upload an updated I-864 along with a complete copy of the 2020 tax return to NVC and had my wife bring those documents to the interview. However, none of that documentation was ever reviewed or requested by NVC or the Consulate and the visa was approved with no issue.

The complete return (as @Wuozopo describes) should suffice in your case, but it might be worth drafting a short letter explaining why a transcript is not available that you could upload to NVC and/or present to the Consulate if needed. Since you filed the return in July, did you previously file an extension for 2020? That would also be helpful information to include.

Edited to add: our state return was processed and a refund issued within 2 weeks of mailing in an updated return with the ITIN. So we are just waiting on the IRS.

Edited by JKLSemicolon

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.