moocha

Building credit score / credit card denied

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hi,

I moved to the US earlier this month and opened a bank account. I also requested a credit card as it offers more protection against fraud, is useful for online transactions and would allow me to build credit score. It was denied though, as obviously I don’t have any credit history. It’s a chicken and egg problem really - how can I build a credit score without that? 

7 minutes ago, moocha said:

Hi,

I moved to the US earlier this month and opened a bank account. I also requested a credit card as it offers more protection against fraud, is useful for online transactions and would allow me to build credit score. It was denied though, as obviously I don’t have any credit history. It’s a chicken and egg problem really - how can I build a credit score without that? 

Do you have a job?  Usually the ability to get a credit card will be your job.

Timeline
Just now, Jorgedig said:

Do you have a job?  Usually the ability to get a credit card will be your job.

Yes, I do. And I received my green card already. I’ll research if my bank offers secured credit cards, it seems to be the way to go temporarily. 

2 minutes ago, moocha said:

Yes, I do. And I received my green card already. I’ll research if my bank offers secured credit cards, it seems to be the way to go temporarily. 

Yes, and also look at credit unions.  They are generally a better deal for both banking and credit cards.

2 hours ago, moocha said:

Best way to go at first is a secured CC

Have your spouse add you to his account if they have good credit if not then don't do it, it can affect your credit score

The credit score game in the USA is a scam, but a game one must play if you plan on using credit for things you want to buy with credit like car, house, etc. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Estonia
Timeline

I signed up for a Petal card at first--they use your banking history (not just credit history) to assess your "creditworthiness". With that and a secure card I was able to build enough credit in a year to qualify for a proper credit card with a larger limit etc. Petal is less known, but I had a great experience with them.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 5/7/2021 at 11:11 PM, l-h said:

I signed up for a Petal card at first--they use your banking history (not just credit history) to assess your "creditworthiness". With that and a secure card I was able to build enough credit in a year to qualify for a proper credit card with a larger limit etc. Petal is less known, but I had a great experience with them.

does one need a SS for this?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Estonia
Timeline
6 hours ago, Hilde said:

does one need a SS for this?

I think so, but it might be worth double checking with them. I applied so long ago I can't remember what was in the application (and I had an SSN already before my GC).

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: EB-5 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 4/28/2021 at 2:15 AM, moocha said:

Hi,

Do you have any CC in Belgium from a bank that operates in the US? They might help you to get a US based CC. I know that American Express had a program that facilitated immigrants to get an US card based on their relationship in a different country. I personally had a bank relationship with HSBC in Brazil and they were able to give me an US credit card even before I moved to the US. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, jostermacedo said:

Do you have any CC in Belgium from a bank that operates in the US? They might help you to get a US based CC. I know that American Express had a program that facilitated immigrants to get an US card based on their relationship in a different country. I personally had a bank relationship with HSBC in Brazil and they were able to give me an US credit card even before I moved to the US. 

My bank in the US is actually part of the same group my bank in Belgium belongs to but it didn’t seem to matter. As soon as I’m back in the US I’ll ask for a secured CC, that will work. 

Filed: EB-5 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Just now, moocha said:

My bank in the US is actually part of the same group my bank in Belgium belongs to but it didn’t seem to matter. As soon as I’m back in the US I’ll ask for a secured CC, that will work. 

I'm sorry for that. Keep in mind the first one is the challenge. Once you build some history it will be easier to get better CCs in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

If you can become an authorized user on another credit card (of your spouse, or another relative who is willing to help), that will help build your credit score

DISCLAIMER:

NOT A LAWYER.  ADVICE IS GENERAL IN NATURE.  CONSULT AN EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEY (OR MULTIPLE ATTORNEYS) REGARDING YOUR SPECIFIC CASE.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.