329 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Christopher B said:

Here's the long awaited report. Hope it's helpful!

Our interview was scheduled for 1:30 PM on Wednesday October 6th at the Los Angeles downtown office. We parked at the Los Angeles Mall across the street - it's $17 for the day, probably not the cheapest parking in the area but worth it for the convenience.

Parking entrance: https://goo.gl/maps/1iQfp4TGbyUE6NHH7

From the mall there is a crosswalk to the Federal Building. There is a dedicated USCIS entrance about 100ft to the left of the main entrance. At 1:10 PM, neither entrance had any line. We went to the USCIS entrance and did not have anyone in front of us. The security guards will want to see your interview notice.

Once through security, you end up in the main building lobby. To the left there is an elevator bank with some prominent signs for USCIS. USCIS is on the 6th and 8th floors. Your interview notice will tell you the floor and room number. For us it was room 8024 on the 8th floor. There was a security guard in the elevator who pressed the button for us.

There's another guard on the 8th floor who will want to see the interview notice again. We made it into room 8024 at around 1:15 PM (15 minutes before the scheduled interview time).

There are about 5 check-in windows, but only two were staffed when we arrived. There was one person in line in front of us, but we got checked in pretty quickly. The check-in staff will need the interview notice, and will take a photo and both index fingerprints of the applicant. They don't need anything from the USC petitioner.

After checking in, it's just a waiting game until your officer comes out and calls you. There's no numerical queue like the DMV and the check-in staff can't give you an ETA. Some people were sent to a different waiting room (8007) after checking in. This might be for COVID social distancing reasons.

We waited for about an hour and a half after checking in. At least the chairs are comfortable. Most people in the room did not have to wait that long - many people who checked in after us were called before us. Finally an officer came out and called us (using my - the applicant's - full name) to Door 1.

One thing that surprised me was that all of the officers were in business casual dress - no uniforms. I had imagined they would wear uniforms similar to CBP at the border. I suppose this was my first in-person interaction with USCIS. Anyway, this made it seem a lot less intimidating than if they had been in uniform.

The officer sort of explained the delay - apparently the officer originally assigned to our case was not available so it got assigned to this new officer instead after we checked in. He had taken some time to look over our case, but didn't seem intimately familiar with it (especially the evidence of bona fides that we submitted).

The interview itself was straightforward and short. I can't remember the officer's name. I think he was Hispanic/Latino. He didn't have a strong accent but he spoke quickly and quietly and was a bit hard to understand at times. He was on the opposite side of a plexiglass partition (COVID measure) so that may have made him more difficult to hear.

He asked some basic demographic questions of my USC husband and me. He asked us what each other's birth dates were and when I last entered the US. After that he asked us to describe the history of our relationship. Key things he wanted to know:

• How we first met (a gay dating app in our case, he wasn't familiar with it LOL so asked us to spell it out and he wrote it down).
  • When we first met in person (month and year) and how long it was after we met online.
  • Where we went for our first date.
  • When we became an "official" couple.
  • When/how we met each other's parents.
  • When we started discussing marriage and making wedding plans.

It was all a pretty casual conversation that flowed naturally. After the relationship questions, he went through all of the security questions on the I-485. My USC husband hadn't read these before (he is allergic to paperwork) and thought some of them were kind of silly ("are you a communist?" etc.).

The officer asked for any additional evidence we wanted to submit. We had already submitted a lot of evidence with the initial application so didn't have a lot more to add. We added joint bank and credit card statements for the past three months, and the bill of sale, title, and insurance for a vehicle we recently bought together. We also had a small photo album which the officer flipped through but didn't want any of the photos.

The officer said he was satisfied that we had a genuine marriage, but couldn't approve us on the spot because of a delay on my husband's background check. He had to clarify some info with us related to prior names (we made a small mistake on the I-130). So he handed us a "continuation" letter and sent us on our way, but mentioned that we would likely be approved later that day or the next day.

After the interview, we ate at "The Little Jewel of New Orleans", which I'd recommend if you want a big portion of greasy seafood to celebrate. The Po'Boys were great (I got the catfish & shrimp, husband got the seafood lover). The poutine gravy fries were all right - I liked them, but too salty for the husband.

Overall it was a straightforward and unintimidating experience. Both my husband and I were incredibly nervous and anxious leading up to it, but it wasn't that bad in the end. Still very relieved to get it over and done with. My I-485 case tracker updated to "card being produced" later that same day, and both the I-485 and the I-130 updated to "approved" the next day. We received approval letters for the I-130 and I-485 in the mail on Sat Oct 9. I haven't received the Green Card in the mail yet, but should hopefully get it this week.

Thank you so much for sharing! So happy for you that you got approved and you are now a permanent resident! 

No more USCIS for you for at least two years.

Let us know when you get your GC in hand!

I'm the USC, hopefully the petition goes through soon and my relative gets their green card as well. 

AOS for parent Journey 

04/12/2021 → Filed I-130 online for parent (easier and didn't have AOS docs ready)

04/13/2021 → I-130 NOA1 available online

04/19/2021 → I-130 NOA1 Mail 

05/03/2021 → Sent through Fedex I-485 (with I-840 and sealed I-693 and I-130 NOA1 copy) I-765 I-131

05/06/2021 → Delivered to USCIS with signature confirmation.

05/25/2021 → Fingerprint Fee Was Received
05/26/2021 → Got text messages for I-485, I-765 and I-131 with receipt numbers.

05/27/2021 → Check cashed.

06/02/2021 → 3 NOAs for I-485, I-765 and I-131 arrived in the mail.

06/30/2021 → I485 online status update "Request for Initial Evidence"

07/06/2021 → RFIE letter arrived in the mail (I864 with 2020 tax return and w2s, 1090s)

07/23/2021 → Sent RFIE response through Fedex.

07/27/2021 → RFIE Response Delivered to USCIS with signature confirmation.

07/28/2021 → Status update RFIE response received. Working on case again. 

08/30/2021→Biometrics notice (no online case status update)

09/07/2021→ Biometrics letter arrived in the mail

09/22/2021 → Biometrics appointment completed. Online status updated 3 hours later to "Fingerprints Were Taken".

09/23/2021 → I-485 Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview.

10/22/2021 → I-130 - Case is being actively reviewed by USCIS

11/30/2021 → I-765 - Case approved.

12/01/2021 → I-131 - Case approved.

12/08/2021 → I-765 - Combo Card delivered.

01/03/2022 → SS Card delivered! (From Combo card application)

01/03/2022 → SS Card delivered! (From Combo card application)

03/02/2022 → Interview scheduled. Notice coming in the mail soon.

03/17/2022 → I-130 Approved! Noa in the mail two days later.

03/31/2022 → Interview day and I-485 Card produced by the time we were leaving.
04/01/2022 → Case approved

04/04/2022 → NOA Case Approved arrived in the mail.
04/07/2022 → Parent's Green card in hand!

I received my two-year green card in the mail today. My case status showed that it shipped on Tue Oct 12, and updated again on Wed Oct 13 with the tracking number. It was shipped by USPS Priority Mail from Corbin, Kentucky. The "Resident Since" date on the card is Oct 6, the same day as the interview.

I'm really pleased (and surprised) with how fast this went. The current processing time for family-based applications at the Los Angeles office is reported as 9.5mo to 23mo, so I was expecting a really long wait. But it was just over 6 months from sending in the application to having the card in hand.

2023-07-19: I-751 package delivered to Phoenix Lockbox via UPS

2023-07-21: Credit card authorized by Phoenix Lockbox

2023-07-24: Text and email notifications received with IOE receipt number

2023-07-27: I-797 48-month extension letter received (postmarked 2023-07-25)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Good morning, 
My brother (US CITIZEN already) is requesting my mother (from Peru but came on tourist visa because the embassy there was still shut down due to cov ) so he sent her I-485 when she was here and it got received On APRIL 5th.   SEE BELOW for details on Date.  

I've seen on the Status now:
image.thumb.png.65648a4d6a3154acb979fde63d4dde06.png
 Any idea of what are the timelines for this????

Thank you!!🥰

image.png

On 10/29/2021 at 9:20 AM, beaubeast said:

Good morning, 
My brother (US CITIZEN already) is requesting my mother (from Peru but came on tourist visa because the embassy there was still shut down due to cov ) so he sent her I-485 when she was here and it got received On APRIL 5th.   SEE BELOW for details on Date.  

I've seen on the Status now:
image.thumb.png.65648a4d6a3154acb979fde63d4dde06.png
 Any idea of what are the timelines for this????

Thank you!!🥰

image.png

It would be adjudicated at the field office. Some are fast some are slow. Few months to over a year.

Which FO is she assigned to? Sometimes parents are approved without interview. That may or may not speed things up. 

New card is being produced!!! 

Looks like they’re approving april 5-6 today

02/10/2018 Married!

4/1/2021 AOS package sent out via usps

4/3/2021 AOS package delivered 

4/30/2021 Pending charges show up on CC

5/2/2021 Got a text with receipt numbers (Sunday at 7 pm EST)

6/18/2021 i-693 deficiency notice delivered (Sent on 6/11/2021)

7/23/2021 Biometrics scheduled (Notice sent on 7/19, appointment is on 8/13)

8/13/2021 Biometrics appointment

8/16/2021 Status changed to 'interview ready to be scheduled'

9/3/2021 AP Expedite requested through Emma

9/6/2021 System updated to Expedite request received

10/6/2021 Expedite denied

11/9/2021 EAD received 

2/8/2022 RFE sent

2/19/2022 Responded to RFE (they asked for my medical)

2/22/2022 RFE was delivered. Status never changed

3/3/2022 Card is being produced

3/7/2022  Card was mailed to me

3/9/2022 Card was delivered! (even though it was scheduled to deliver on Saturday!)

4 minutes ago, bklyn24601 said:

New card is being produced!!! 

Looks like they’re approving april 5-6 today

Congrats!! We’re out of Brooklyn as well so this gives us hope 😂

22 minutes ago, Rdr said:

Congrats!! We’re out of Brooklyn as well so this gives us hope 😂

Thank you!!! 🤩

also, work permits are processed at National Benefits Center regardless of our field offices

21 minutes ago, Adventine said:

@bklyn24601 congratulations!

Thank you 🥳

02/10/2018 Married!

11/9/2021 EAD received 

2/8/2022 RFE sent

3/9/2022 Card was delivered! (even though it was scheduled to deliver on Saturday!)

25 minutes ago, bklyn24601 said:

Thank you!!! 🤩

also, work permits are processed at National Benefits Center regardless of our field offices

Thank you 🥳

Yes, you are right! I guess what I meant to say was it’s nice to see another Brooklyn person moving along, even though it’s from NBC 🙌🏽

1 minute ago, Rdr said:

Yes, you are right! I guess what I meant to say was it’s nice to see another Brooklyn person moving along, even though it’s from NBC 🙌🏽

Yes!!! That’s true. I cant wait until Brooklyn office will start scheduling interviews!

good luck to you! 

02/10/2018 Married!

11/9/2021 EAD received 

2/8/2022 RFE sent

1 hour ago, bklyn24601 said:

Yes!!! That’s true. I cant wait until Brooklyn office will start scheduling interviews!

good luck to you! 

Likewise! 

My interview was conducted on November 4th and at the end of the interview the officer said he is approving my case and I should get my Green card in 2 weeks. However, the letter he gave us indicates that case is under review. 

the same day the status changed to “interview conducted, my case must be reviewed”

I am so confused as to why the officer was indicating approval and I got this status…

• 2 weeks later...

Received notice that my husbands EAD was approved today 🙌🏽🙏🏼 Our RD is April 19th out of NBC.  The heavy weight has been finally lifted 😂 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.