329 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

3 minutes ago, Hardship waiver said:

Dear all, the forums on this website have helped me a lot. I am waiting for the final approval letter from USCIS for my j1 hardship waiver. Next, I will be applying for AOS, marriage based. I have had a terrible experience with my ex lawyer and I really want to do AOS on my own. My question is, is it easily doable with no lawyer? Thank you!

I think it is a difficult question. I did all our adjustment of status from B-2 with my husband but me mostly because I have more time. It is not a simple process and each case is so different to another one, some people need lawyers because there are more steps involved or situations are different. In my case it was our first marriage, no kids, and especially we didn't have extra $ +3k to spend. Right now everything seems fine, I know couple of people adjusting from Students visa by themselves, though I've also seen people with lawyers having less stress on gathering, printing and scanning all the info. I'd just suggest, in any case be very organized in the process, because it is not a short one.

Our Journey:

Feb 18th, 2021: Package sent, including: I-130 + I-130A, I-485 + I944 + I-693 + I-864, I-765) and I-131 through USPS

Feb 24th, 2021: USCIS received the package

Apr 5th, 2021: Package rejected, received back (Payment issue)

Apr 6th, 2021: Resent Package through USPS

Apr 7th, 2021: USCIS received the package @ Chicago Lockbox

May 21st, 2021: Checks cashed

May 23rd, 2021: Received the Text Messages with receipt number 

July 2nd, 2021: I-693 Deficiency Notice Received

July 8th, 2021: Expedite Request Received

July 16th, 2021: Received Fingerprint Appointment Letter

August 6th, 2021: Fingerprints Taken

August 9th, 2021: Changed of Address request AR-11online (Beneficiary) and filed I-865 Address Change of my husband (Sponsor)

August 13th, 2021: Confirmation mail: Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview

November 17th, 2021: EAD Delivered

March 15th, 2022: Interview Scheduled

April 21th, 2022: Interview / New Card Being Produced

April 22th, 2022: Case Was Approved

1 minute ago, alv&josh said:

I think it is a difficult question. I did all our adjustment of status from B-2 with my husband but me mostly because I have more time. It is not a simple process and each case is so different to another one, some people need lawyers because there are more steps involved or situations are different. In my case it was our first marriage, no kids, and especially we didn't have extra $ +3k to spend. Right now everything seems fine, I know couple of people adjusting from Students visa by themselves, though I've also seen people with lawyers having less stress on gathering, printing and scanning all the info. I'd just suggest, in any case be very organized in the process, because it is not a short one.

Thank you for the response. I agree each case is different. I have a very straightforward case: married for almost 6 years and have kid. I know it is a lot of organizing that’s why I was considering having a lawyer. One question that I am still not sure about is the affidavit of support. Our tax return is more than the household income specified by USCIS, but it is from both of our jobs. Can my spouse still fill out I864 by using our joint income tax return?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Hardship waiver said:

Thank you for the response. I agree each case is different. I have a very straightforward case: married for almost 6 years and have kid. I know it is a lot of organizing that’s why I was considering having a lawyer. One question that I am still not sure about is the affidavit of support. Our tax return is more than the household income specified by USCIS, but it is from both of our jobs. Can my spouse still fill out I864 by using our joint income tax return?

I don't think so, the immigrant can't be part of the affidavit, I'm pretty sure it has to come from the petitioner and if you don't meet the min income, you will have to have a co-sponsor. I still don't know if you are adjusting from J-1 visa or both are adjusting, but I think the sponsor needs to be a US Citizen or LPR. I'd recommend to check the USCIS website and read very carefully. https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/affidavit-of-support#:~:text=An affidavit of support is,work (usually 10 years). 
Good luck in the process! :)

Our Journey:

Feb 18th, 2021: Package sent, including: I-130 + I-130A, I-485 + I944 + I-693 + I-864, I-765) and I-131 through USPS

August 9th, 2021: Changed of Address request AR-11online (Beneficiary) and filed I-865 Address Change of my husband (Sponsor)

August 13th, 2021: Confirmation mail: Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview

11 minutes ago, alv&josh said:

I don't think so, the immigrant can't be part of the affidavit, I'm pretty sure it has to come from the petitioner and if you don't meet the min income, you will have to have a co-sponsor. I still don't know if you are adjusting from J-1 visa or both are adjusting, but I think the sponsor needs to be a US Citizen or LPR. I'd recommend to check the USCIS website and read very carefully. https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/affidavit-of-support#:~:text=An affidavit of support is,work (usually 10 years). 
Good luck in the process! :)

Thank you :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Finally had my case update to interview scheduled! Now to wait for the letter and see the date of the interview

Field Office: Atlanta

Timeline:
Filed - April 8th 2021
NOA1 - April 30th 2021
Biometrics - July 31st 2021
Ready to be scheduled - August 2nd 2021
Interview scheduled - April 1st 2022

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Romania
Timeline
8 hours ago, Joe30 said:

To those who have interviewed already. Howd it go?

Awesome. Had mine today. The lady was very nice. I had my 130 approved first and after i sent the rest on papers in may. Because my 130 was done already she just asked me my name, date and location of birth, and actual adress and then security questions and she said everything looks good and she gonna go and approve us . 🍾🎉 still in shock lol better then I expected 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Gabbyy said:

Awesome. Had mine today. The lady was very nice. I had my 130 approved first and after i sent the rest on papers in may. Because my 130 was done already she just asked me my name, date and location of birth, and actual adress and then security questions and she said everything looks good and she gonna go and approve us . 🍾🎉 still in shock lol better then I expected 

Wow that is amazing, and sounds it went smooth! Congratulations!! 

Our Journey:

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi everyone!

So yesterday was my interview in the Hartford, CT office field. even though the interview turnt a little odd at the end, and my husband and I were feeling down because we didn't know what to expect, our case later on the afternoon changed to "New card being produced". Those are good news right?

Our Journey:

Filed: Other Country: Romania
Timeline
2 hours ago, alv&josh said:

Hi everyone!

So yesterday was my interview in the Hartford, CT office field. even though the interview turnt a little odd at the end, and my husband and I were feeling down because we didn't know what to expect, our case later on the afternoon changed to "New card being produced". Those are good news right?

The best news. Your card is gonna be in your hands in 1 week , depends on the postal 

3 hours ago, alv&josh said:

Hi everyone!

What happened that led you guys to feel that certain way? 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Joe30 said:

What happened that led you guys to feel that certain way? 

It was all good at the beginning, then most of the questions about our engagement, wedding was directed to my husband (petitioner) and he got a little nervous and messed up some saying the dates, I had to correct him at the end because the face of the interviewer was like “what?, it doesn’t add up”. After that he said y

most likely you will be approved but I still need to check the evidence and we mentioned that my husband and I are moving out of the state in two weeks (Company relocation) and he was very enfatic the if our RFE ARRIVES To the wrong address or I don't submit on time it's our responsibility to check the address change and everything. The way he said it looked that we were getting a RFE on the mail. But apparently our case is approved.

Our Journey:

Timeline

I just got my card on the mail. Last week was my interview, exactly one week after my card is on the mail, and we are relocating (interstate) in 2 days!! It arrived on time! I was scared of missing it on the mail, luckily I waited before changing my address 🥲

Our Journey:

• 7 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Dear APRIL2021 Filers,

Please remember to check the updated address for WHERE TO file your documents as they are updated. I don't know when the update happened but here it is:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-751-direct-filing-addresses

sending my REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS request... fingers crossed!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.