CelesteEduardo

Social Security Card - Invalid Immigration Status

25 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

A friend is here in the US working and applied for his SSN in October. They aren't able to produce a SSN due to his immigration status. He has to contact USCIS to sort this out. I have tried calling to no avail. Anyone been in this situation or can help?? TIA!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Does he have authorization to work in the USA? 

Yes; he has been working since he got here. SSA is saying the card won't produce due to his immigration status and we have to figure that part out. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 minute ago, CelesteEduardo said:

Yes; he has been working since he got here. 

On what basis? What kind visa does he have?

Timeline
Just now, CelesteEduardo said:

E2... co-owner of a restaurant

Per https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530 he is allowed to get an SSN. What did SSA say when he presented his work visa, passport, and I-94 with his SS-5 (SS card application)?

Timeline
Just now, Mike E said:

Per https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530 he is allowed to get an SSN. What did SSA say when he presented his work visa, passport, and I-94 with his SS-5 (SS card application)?

They accepted it but when they put it through the system and they did a status check with Immigration/DHS, they advised the system kicked it back due to his immigration status. Not sure if there is an error somewhere re: his status but I'm trying to get in touch with someone to see how we find that out. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, CelesteEduardo said:

They accepted it but when they put it through the system and they did a status check with Immigration/DHS, they advised the system kicked it back due to his immigration status. Not sure if there is an error somewhere re: his status but I'm trying to get in touch with someone to see how we find that out. 

OK, my guess is if he tried it again the system would succeed. 

Did he get a letter from SSA denying his SS card?

What your friend should do is called USCIS and talk  a tier 2 officer.

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Mike E said:

OK, my guess is if he tried it again the system would succeed. 

Did he get a letter from SSA denying his SS card?

What your friend should do is called USCIS and talk  a tier 2 officer.

They tried it several times with no success. I'm trying to get through to a person at Uscis...French is his native language so I'm helping him out. If you have a way for me to talk to a person (as there is no case status), let me know!

9 hours ago, CelesteEduardo said:

They tried it several times with no success. I'm trying to get through to a person at Uscis...French is his native language so I'm helping him out. If you have a way for me to talk to a person (as there is no case status), let me know!

That is kind of you, but USCIS will not give out any info to a 'friend.'   He needs to deal with his work auth and status himself.

1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

That is kind of you, but USCIS will not give out any info to a 'friend.'   He needs to deal with his work auth and status himself.

They will if he's standing right there and gives them permission to talk to you, then hands the phone back. (Or isnon speaker).

You need deferred inspection place with CBP to check what was in the SAVE system. Find it on cbp.gov then call or email. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
5 hours ago, milimelo said:

You need deferred inspection place with CBP to check what was in the SAVE system. Find it on cbp.gov then call or email. 

Thanks...I will try that!

6 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

I understand that and can get him on the phone, if needed. Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.