wbeem

Updating with Social Security office after naturalization - questions

58 posts in this topic

@gregcrs2

Yep, my US spouse's - 2017-2026, as well!!!

Hmmm.....

So, you know exactly what I just did - CALLED DMV AGAIN!!! smile

The DMV representative said that driver's licenses are DEFINITELY only for 8 years.

She said there WAS a bug in the system previously and that some people got longer than that..but that the system had been corrected, and that new cards were supposed to go out to those affected!!!

A new day, a new situation.....hee hee.

(Tried to speak with Hawaii DMV....No one picked up....system said was too busy..."Call back later".... was just curious what the situation was there. Spouse had Hawaii license from 1999 to 2017. Hated giving it up....smile)

Edited by Suze1

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

2012 - US Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

2012 - First Night spent in the US - Waikiki Beach, Honolulu

2016 - Wedding on the beach, Honolulu, Hawaii

2016 - Honeymoon at the hotel in this photo, Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

2016 - US Spousal Visa, via DCF, Manila, Philippines

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2007 - Visited Philippines on vacation

2008 - Got a condo in Makati, PH

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

06/2011 - Met Spouse in Makati, Philippines

01/2012 - B1/B2 Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

10/2016 - Married in Hawaii

11/2016 - Filed for Spousal Visa DCF, in Manila, Philippines

12/2016 - POE, CR-1 Status Received

10/2018 - ROC I-751 Received by USCIS

10/2019 - Filed for Citizenship, N-400

03/2020 - Citizenship Ceremony

CA is renew every 5 years. Again, it’s up to people to know their state requirements. If you are told at the oath ceremony to change it that’s a pretty good signal you should ;) on the other hand if they tell you all sorts of things to do and don’t mention DMV, your state probably doesn’t require it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

In Texas I didn’t have to update but I wanted to be on record as a citizen so I could do the things they offer online like renew license, change address, etc. Texas LPRs have to go in person and wait in the long lines to do everything. They want to see your greencard and Social security card each time.Once on the system as a citizen, they no longer ask for those things and it opens up many online services.

Edited by Wuozopo

02/18/2021 Update

STATUS

01/29/2021 Friday           - Mailed the form and passport to the local SSA Office via USPS

02/01/2021 Monday       - USPS shows package was delivered

02/02/2021 Tuesday       - Spoke with local SSA Office. Was told that receipt was not in their system yet;

Said could take 7-10 days to be scanned and put in the system; another 7-10 days for work-at-home SSA agent to process it.

02/03/2021 Wednesday - RECEIVED PASSPORT BACK and LETTER saying we would receive the SS card within two weeks!!!

02/16/2021 Tuesday       - SSA says my application is in their system.

They expect to process it today or tomorrow.  System should show new status this week.

Expect to receive the new SSA card in 10 days or so. Can go to DMV anytime next week.

02/18/2021 Thursday     - Received letter from SSA saying expect to receive the card within two weeks.

We suspect we can now update my record at DMV,  but we will wait.

Not as quick as @gregcrs2, that is for sure!!!

Who still owns the land-speed record for covid-related mail-in SSA update processing. smile

Edited by Suze1

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey everyone! I became a citizen this week and have just applied for my passport!

Regarding my social security card, it still has the “valid for work with DHS authorization” text on it. By the time I realized I had to do it, COVID was in full swing and didn’t feel comfortable sending my documents through the post as that showed my status.

That said. I’ve read a couple people mention only certain benefits are available for citizens. What are those? I do plan on getting it updated once the offices are back open for appointment or walk in.

Also main question - I contribute to social security on each pay check. The years I’ve had the restricted text on my card still will count for my overall sum when I get to retirement age?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
52 minutes ago, Absolutely said:

Also main question - I contribute to social security on each pay check. The years I’ve had the restricted text on my card still will count for my overall sum when I get to retirement age?

Yes. Those wages are credited to your account. You won’t draw down from your personal sum paid in when you retire like you would with an IRA account. 

How your retirement benefit is calculated. https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10070-1951.pdf

UPDATE

02/27/2021 Saturday     - RECEIVED THE UPDATED SSA/SSN CARD BY USPS TODAY. (Was dated 02/16/2021.)

STATUS

01/29/2021 Friday           - Mailed the form and passport to the local SSA Office via USPS

02/01/2021 Monday       - USPS shows package was delivered

02/02/2021 Tuesday       - Spoke with local SSA Office. Was told that receipt was not in their system yet;

Said could take 7-10 days to be scanned and put in the system; another 7-10 days for work-at-home SSA agent to process it.

02/03/2021 Wednesday - RECEIVED PASSPORT BACK and LETTER saying we would receive the SS card within two weeks!!!

02/16/2021 Tuesday       - SSA says my application is in their system.

They expect to process it today or tomorrow.  System should show new status this week.

Expect to receive the new SSA card in 10 days or so. Can go to DMV anytime next week.

02/18/2021 Thursday     - Received letter from SSA saying expect to receive the card within two weeks.

We suspect we can now update my record at DMV,  but we will wait.

02/27/2021 Saturday     - RECEIVED THE UPDATED SSA/SSN CARD BY USPS TODAY. (Was dated 02/16/2021.)

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

@Suze1  It's great that you finally got your Social Security card.  Please keep us posted on your driver license.

@gregcrs2 Thanks. Will do. Have a GREAT weekend!

(Just to clarify: The SSN card itself was  dated 02/16/2021.)

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

• 1 year later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Eli_za said:

Did you fill out the part where it asks for parents info and ss#.?

No, my parents never got a U.S. SSN because they never lived in the U.S. nor gotten one at birth (they would be U.S. citizens otherwise and so would I).

I just filled out their name, left their SSN field blank and checked the box "Unknown".

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.