wbeem

Updating with Social Security office after naturalization - questions

58 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Suze1 said:

@gregcrs2

Haa haa...RIGHT!!!!

Informed Delivery had nothing scheduled from SSA for today...just went out and got the mail - NADA from SSA!

Dying to see if you get your card today. That would be super quick!

I ordered some books (calculus) two weeks ago...STILL waiting for them to arrive. SMH

You can give them a call before 4pm...and they might tell you.

(We are only about 80 mins away from each other...both in fairly smallish towns. Went to same Tampa Office for naturalization too, I imagine.)

Received the card just now.  only change from the older card is the issue date and on the back of the card, the code numbers in red are different. 

We had N400 interview/ceremony at Ft. Myers.

4 minutes ago, gregcrs2 said:

Received the card just now.  only change from the older card is the issue date and on the back of the card, the code numbers in red are different. 

We had N400 interview/ceremony at Ft. Myers.

EXCELLENT!!!

CONGRATS!

One less thing....

(Ah, you went to Ft. Myers. Kool!)

Edited by Suze1

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

2012 - US Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

2012 - First Night spent in the US - Waikiki Beach, Honolulu

2016 - Wedding on the beach, Honolulu, Hawaii

2016 - Honeymoon at the hotel in this photo, Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

2016 - US Spousal Visa, via DCF, Manila, Philippines

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2007 - Visited Philippines on vacation

2008 - Got a condo in Makati, PH

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

06/2011 - Met Spouse in Makati, Philippines

01/2012 - B1/B2 Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

10/2016 - Married in Hawaii

11/2016 - Filed for Spousal Visa DCF, in Manila, Philippines

12/2016 - POE, CR-1 Status Received

10/2018 - ROC I-751 Received by USCIS

10/2019 - Filed for Citizenship, N-400

03/2020 - Citizenship Ceremony

@gregcrs2

Sending in the passport and getting this done is SO much better than waiting for covid-related closures to end, and going in-person.

Going to get the new license soon, as well?

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

Timeline
1 hour ago, Suze1 said:

@gregcrs2

Sending in the passport and getting this done is SO much better than waiting for covid-related closures to end, and going in-person.

Going to get the new license soon, as well?

I think we will wait as it is not a priority.  I just can't think a reason to do it right now.  We usually carry passports everywhere we fly plus she has a passport card.  

@gregcrs2

For us, we figure an up-to-date driver's license is attractive,  since  it is the primary ID. If you ever get pulled over or have an accident, the license will show you to be a citizen, so no odd questions about green cards, naturalization certificates, etc.

We will get it done as soon as the SSA record is update.  Only takes a single trip to DMV. Then TOTALLY DONE!

Be well.

Edited by Suze1

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

37 minutes ago, Suze1 said:

@gregcrs2

For us, we figure an up-to-date driver's license is attractive,  since  it is the primary ID. If you ever get pulled over or have an accident, the license will show you to be a citizen, so no odd questions about green cards, naturalization certificates, etc.

We will get it done as soon as the SSA record is update.  Only takes a single trip to DMV. Then TOTALLY DONE!

Be well.

Is this a Florida thing, that your DL gives your residence status? No one at our oath ceremony mentioned anything at all about the DMV in the part about what to do next, and neither does the official uscis documentation on “now you are a citizen “ where they talk about updating SS etc. and I did my oath pre Covid where they had representatives from everyone talk about what to do at their agency etc... (SS, voting etc). Nothing about DMV at all was said. So I guess updating at DMV is state specific. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

@SusieQQQ

Great questions/point.

Updating DMV is part of the regimen, as far as I understand. But you could be right, if no mention on USCIS.

I figure when law enforcement ask for your license and go back to their prowler and look you up, they see a lot of info, probably including many statuses.

Might as well see that I am a citizen, if they can.

Edited by Suze1

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

5 minutes ago, Suze1 said:

@SusieQQQ

Great questions.

Yes, updating DMV is part of the regimen, as far as I read/understand.

I figure when law enforcement ask for your license and go back to their prowler and look you up, they see a lot of info, probably including many statuses.

Might as well see that I am a citizen.

Nope, I just looked it up, says only need to do it if you have a name change or did combined with RoC so had limited term DL. I guess your regimen is part of what is required in Florida and maybe some other states, but not everywhere. I didn’t have a name change and had a ten year GC/no limited term DL so no need to update, and it was already a real ID.  (Don’t see what difference it makes to a a traffic stop or accident makes if you are LPR or USC either but if it makes you feel safer, sure do it.)

Timeline
16 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Is this a Florida thing, that your DL gives your residence status? No one at our oath ceremony mentioned anything at all about the DMV in the part about what to do next, and neither does the official uscis documentation on “now you are a citizen “ where they talk about updating SS etc. and I did my oath pre Covid where they had representatives from everyone talk about what to do at their agency etc... (SS, voting etc). Nothing about DMV at all was said. So I guess updating at DMV is state specific. 

It is state specific. 

Edited by gregcrs2

@SusieQQQ

Great points. Thanks.

Not sure why Florida even gives a new license, if name and address are correct. Definitely have a Real ID.

If DMV's system shows the status, then why would we need a new license, if the license does not show anything??? Beats me.

So, will ask when we go.

Edited by Suze1

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

The clerks at local SSA definitely said wait until the citizenship status shows up in their system before going to DMV.

And DMV definitely said they will give us a new license because of the change...so...FLORIDA!!!!

And my current license is a year old, tops,  with all data correct.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

Timeline
1 minute ago, Suze1 said:

@SusieQQQ

Great points. Thanks.

Not sure why Florida even gives a new license, if name and address are correct. Definitely have a Real ID.

So, will ask when we go.

The license we have is good for about 10 years.  Same with yours?  That's why we are reluctant to renew unless there is a new expiration date.  Current license is good until 2026.  Anyway, here's a link showing the docs you would need to replace your driver license in case you don't already have that info.  U.S. Citizen - Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (flhsmv.gov)

@gregcrs2

Right!

Mine good till 2025.

And we might be moving in a year...so will have to change it AGAIN!

But, for super peace-of-mind....we will. $31 bucks. What the heck!

And thanks for the link to the requirements. Looks familiar.

Best.

Edited by Suze1

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

@SusieQQQ @gregcrs2

So, re-read some government websites, etc.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/driver-licenses-id-cards/renew-or-replace-your-florida-driver-license-or-id-card/

It's 8 years -

"...Customers must renew their Florida driver license or ID card every eight years. The expiration date is listed on the credential. Florida driver license and ID card holders may renew their credential up to 18 months in advance of the expiration date."

"Drivers can replace their driver license or ID card prior to its expiration if the credential is lost, stolen or they need to make an update. The following may require a replacement credential.

• If there is a change of address, Florida driver license or ID card holders have 30 days to update their address on the credential.
  • If there is a name change, Florida driver license or ID card holders must update their name with the Social Security Administration prior to updating their name on the credential and they must present an original or certified court order of marriage certificate when applying to change the name on their driver license or ID card.
  • If a driver license or ID card is lost or stolen.
  • If a customer wishes to add or update a designation or other information listed on the credential.

..."

Spoke with another DMV representative just now.

She said:

1) Once your citizenship changes, you "should" come in to change it on DMV's system. She confirmed the information to bring (as per gregcrs2's link).

2) We will get a new license. She said the security features on the actual license card do change (and has changed several times fairly recently, in past year), so the card might be different from the one we have.

3) The expiration date will NOT change unless the license is in its last 18 months.

4) She does not know if citizenship is part of the security features on the actual card or not.

5) She does not know what law enforcement/police see when they run your license. She guessed it might, but did not know. (There is a police officer/Sheriff across the street, might ask him.)

6) DMV records will definitely show your legal status.

She did not say that we HAD to do it, if there are no other changes in information.

And the web page does not say it HAS to be done either.

So, the "may renew", "may require", and "if customer wishes to update", suggests, like SusieQQQ suggests, that it might not even be a legal requirement in Florida.

(But we both remember it being suggested at the oath ceremony...but you know memories...smile.)

So..meh. If ya wanna...and if ya don't wanna...DO YOU! smile

Thanks SusieQQQ and gregcrs2. You guys rock!

Edited by Suze1

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.