JHFGNDVQ

Certified copy of naturalization certificate

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
11 minutes ago, JHFGNDVQ said:

Hey guys! Does anyone know if you can get a certified copy (or multiple copies) of your citizenship certificate right at the oath ceremony? As I understand, you can send a certified copy when applying for a passport, which seems much safer than sending the original document and hoping it won't be lost somewhere.

The cost of replacing one is around $725. i doubt you can get multiple copies of it and the oath ceremony provides you only with one. 

14 minutes ago, ROC-AL said:

The cost of replacing one is around $725. i doubt you can get multiple copies of it and the oath ceremony provides you only with one. 

Just to clarify, I meant this type of copy that they provide for free (not a second certificate):
https://www.uscis.gov/tools/how-do-i-guides/how-do-i-guides-for-us-citizens/how-do-i-obtain-certified-true-copies-of-a-certificate-of-naturalization

It requires scheduling an InfoPass appointment, so I was wondering if anyone asked to get a copy after the ceremony.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**Moved from US Citizenship General Discussion to Passports, etc. - What to do now that you are a US citizen**

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

10 hours ago, JHFGNDVQ said:

Just to clarify, I meant this type of copy that they provide for free (not a second certificate):
https://www.uscis.gov/tools/how-do-i-guides/how-do-i-guides-for-us-citizens/how-do-i-obtain-certified-true-copies-of-a-certificate-of-naturalization

It requires scheduling an InfoPass appointment, so I was wondering if anyone asked to get a copy after the ceremony.

I did and got it . I got my naturalization ceremony in Chicago and just after the event directly went to the infopass counter and asked for a certified copy and got it in 15 mins . But when applied in post office they didnot accept that certified copy and wanted the original

On 1/16/2021 at 8:38 AM, zeal4thil said:

I did and got it . I got my naturalization ceremony in Chicago and just after the event directly went to the infopass counter and asked for a certified copy and got it in 15 mins . But when applied in post office they didnot accept that certified copy and wanted the original

Thank you for this information!

• 3 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
On 1/16/2021 at 7:38 AM, zeal4thil said:

I wonder if this was still the case. I just completed my interview today and was told that the the Oath ceremony won’t be in the USCIS building on Ida B. Wells. Also, there’s no more InfoPass appointment form USCIS’ website.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
On 1/15/2021 at 9:03 PM, JHFGNDVQ said:

I thought you’re not able to schedule InfoPass appointments anymore?

I am 99% sure the USPS will NOT accept the certified copy, I've seen multiple people sharing their stories about this. They need the original one, and will send back without tracking by default. Like the other post suggests, try to included a self-addressed and pre-paid envelope with tracking# (take a note or picture of the number before sending out so you know what number to track) and see if the USPS allows it. If that works it's better than nothing.

Edited by MrKo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
On 1/15/2021 at 6:30 PM, JHFGNDVQ said:

Hey guys! Does anyone know if you can get a certified copy (or multiple copies) of your citizenship certificate right at the oath ceremony? As I understand, you can send a certified copy when applying for a passport, which seems much safer than sending the original document and hoping it won't be lost somewhere.

A certified copy is not accepted by Department of State(DOS), the official passport agency. They need ORIGINAL NC.

4 hours ago, MrKo said:

I am 99% sure the USPS will NOT accept the certified copy, I've seen multiple people sharing their stories about this. They need the original one, and will send back without tracking by default. Like the other post suggests, try to included a self-addressed and pre-paid envelope with tracking# (take a note or picture of the number before sending out so you know what number to track) and see if the USPS allows it. If that works it's better than nothing.

USPS has NOTHING to DO WITH the requirements of a passport paperwork. They are JUST carriers OR facilitators of this process. Its DOS(Dept of State) which had these requirements such as the need to submit the Original NC etc. Thus, USPS follows those guidelines as an agency to facilitate us.

Having said that I am 999.9999% sure that the original NC is a must for passport. AFTER this particular process is done, YOU DONT NEED to take out your NC for any known reason. It can be buried in a fire and water proof storage and have a beer/party on that soil.

My USC Journey noteshttps://tinyurl.com/myUSCNotes 

Citizenship: Completed SFO/CA(Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Nov 31, 2020 (Day 00): Submitted N400 Application, filed online.

Dec 07, 2020 (Day 08): NOA Receipt received in the mail.

Feb 19, 2021 (Day 82): Biometrics reuse notice received online.

Dec 22, 2021 (Day 387) Interview is  scheduled for 01/25/2022.

Jan 25, 2021 (Day 420) Interview and Oath is completed.

Passport: Completed (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Jan 26, 2022 (Day 00): Submitted Application at USPS - Regular speed.

Feb 01, 2022 (Day 06): DOS received (status: in process) Locator 69: New Hampshire: Old Gen Passport to come.

Feb 23, 2022 (Day 28) :  Approved on DOS site.

Feb 28, 2022 (Day 33) :  Received the passport - Old Gen.

Mar 01, 2022 (Day 34) :  Received the passport card.

Mar 04, 2022 (Day 37) :  Received the original Naturalization Certificate safely.

SS Updates: In Progress (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Feb 29, 2022 (Day 00) :  Received the passport card, used it for SS updates request on the same day.

On 5/11/2021 at 8:12 PM, justwill said:

I wonder if this was still the case. I just completed my interview today and was told that the the Oath ceremony won’t be in the USCIS building on Ida B. Wells. Also, there’s no more InfoPass appointment form USCIS’ website.

Things may be different now .I did mid Dec 2020 when the ceremony happen in the USCIS office downtown Chicago where they were handling the info-pass appointments too . I didn't have any info-pass appointment and just walked to the counter as i was already in the building for the ceremony 

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
On 5/13/2021 at 1:39 AM, ImmiGeek said:

A certified copy is not accepted by Department of State(DOS), the official passport agency. They need ORIGINAL NC.

USPS has NOTHING to DO WITH the requirements of a passport paperwork. They are JUST carriers OR facilitators of this process. Its DOS(Dept of State) which had these requirements such as the need to submit the Original NC etc. Thus, USPS follows those guidelines as an agency to facilitate us.

Having said that I am 999.9999% sure that the original NC is a must for passport. AFTER this particular process is done, YOU DONT NEED to take out your NC for any known reason. It can be buried in a fire and water proof storage and have a beer/party on that soil.

Are you really sure about that? When I got my appointment at the Passport Agency (not an acceptance facility), I received an email from PassportSolutions confirming the appointment, with the document attached.

It clearly says that you can use a certified copy. I didn't really mind and provided the original of my Certificate of Naturalization since they returned it to me the very same day upon picking up the passport (expedite process – passport picked within 2.5 hours), so no concern about losing it through the mail.

But I just wanted to share the info. Maybe you need to submit the original when applying at an acceptance facility (USPS etc...) but you can use a certified copy when applying in person at a Passport Agency.

-----------------

2. Provide Evidence of U.S. Citizenship
You must submit one of the following. Your evidence must be an original or certified, physical copy. A certified copy is any document that has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority.
 Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
 U.S. Birth Certificate that meets the following requirements:
o Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
o Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
o Lists your parent(s)' full names
o Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth) o Has the registrar's signature
o Has the seal of the issuing authority
 Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth (Click on link for details)

 Certificate of Naturalization
 Certificate of Citizenship

07019125-6532-4605-B921-9FE88E074D2C.jpeg

4F0646C8-A84A-4C2B-B3DA-72C42B5E170D.jpeg

041DA41D-F077-4265-8C0A-7D490B06F8C8.jpeg

609D7B72-989D-4763-BE2C-033ACC698745.jpeg

63865412-6D3D-459A-BA88-06352FE6DDD8.jpeg

2270C562-DC13-4120-AF59-64484EBFBC16.jpeg

Timeline

Thanks @VinnyH for sharing this info. It looks like DOS is giving the Certified copy submission option while USPS (not any other Passport Agency) is demanding the original.

With your finding above, I may be wrong in my above statement. Let me do some more research and wait for your final finding (if at all you are using ONLY certified copy of your NC for your passport) before taking my word back. I guess practically, I didnt see any single acceptance of Certified Naturalization Cert for any new Passport Application So far. If I am missing something, would like to learn and stand corrected.

Thanks for the reference of your findings.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Feb 01, 2022 (Day 06): DOS received (status: in process) Locator 69: New Hampshire: Old Gen Passport to come.

Mar 04, 2022 (Day 37) :  Received the original Naturalization Certificate safely.

Spoiler

Feb 29, 2022 (Day 00) :  Received the passport card, used it for SS updates request on the same day.

Timeline

Update: I have just reviewed the Form AR-11 (Passport Application) instructions for Citizenship proof. It didnt give an option for the certified copy of Naturalization Certificate. 

APPLICANTS BORN OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES: Submit a previous U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or evidence described below

: - If you claim citizenship through naturalization of parent(s): Submit the Certificate(s) of Naturalization of your parent(s), your foreign birth certificate (and official translation if the document is not in English), proof of your admission to the United States for permanent residence, and your parents' marriage/certificate and/or evidence that you were in the legal and physical custody of your U.S. citizen parent, if applicable. - If you claim citizenship through birth abroad to at least one U.S. citizen parent: Submit a Consular Report of Birth (Form FS-240), Certification of Birth (Form DS-1350 or FS-545), or your foreign birth certificate (and official translation if the document is not in English), proof of U.S. citizenship of your parent, your parents' marriage certificate, and an affidavit showing all of your U.S. citizen parents' periods and places of residence/physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth. - If you claim citizenship through adoption by a U.S. citizen parent(s): Submit evidence of your permanent residence status, full and final adoption, and your U.S. citizen parent(s) evidence of legal and physical custody. (NOTE: Acquisition of U.S. citizenship for persons born abroad and adopted only applies if the applicant was born on or after 02/28/1983.)

With this observation, I can assume that the original NC may be asked at the agency desk.

Also Passport Agency(the DOS desk) allows only appointments for any emergency travel purpose only, not for standard passport applications(its only USPS accepts for regular applicants)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

• 2 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.