Danii

DS260 "Have you attended a public elementary school on student (F) status after November 30 1996 without reimbursing the school?"

13 posts in this topic

My parents were studying in the USA from 2000-2004, and so I believe I was on an F2 visa. I attended preschool to grade 2 there. I asked my parents if they were ever asked to pay any fees to the school, and they said only the small registration fees/school trip ones. I really don't know how to answer this question... Is there by any chance I owe a lot of money to those public schools?

Edited by Dania A

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

As an F-2 dependent, you are permitted to attend K-12 public school without reimbursement.  You do not owe any money to the public schools here.  

You should answer no to this question since you were not here on an F-1 student visa.  You were here as an unmarried child F-2 dependent of an F-1 student visa holder.  

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

44 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

As an F-2 dependent, you are permitted to attend K-12 public school without reimbursement.  You do not owe any money to the public schools here.  

You should answer no to this question since you were not here on an F-1 student visa.  You were here as an unmarried child F-2 dependent of an F-1 student visa holder.  

Ah that makes a lot of sense! Thank you for clarifying 😁

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
20 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

No one pays for public schools in the US

homeowners pay taxes to sponsor public education 

International students on student visas needs to pay for public school. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
3 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

No one pays for public schools in the US

homeowners pay taxes to sponsor public education 

Wrong  only certain residents are allowed to access public education for free .  That is why international student can't get a visa to a "free" public school.  

Public high schools are free for American students to attend, but international learners must pay a fee. According to the U.S. Department of State, these fees usually range between $3,000 and $10,000 for the one year in which they can study 

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
9 hours ago, NigeriaorBust said:

Wrong  only certain residents are allowed to access public education for free .  That is why international student can't get a visa to a "free" public school.  

Public high schools are free for American students to attend, but international learners must pay a fee. According to the U.S. Department of State, these fees usually range between $3,000 and $10,000 for the one year in which they can study 

Don't know where that quote is from 

But even illegals can go to public schools free 

and there is no way for a school to accept money

they are governed by a yearly budget 

Every state has a public school system to provide free education to every child. Public schools are government-run schools regulated by federal, state and local law. However, with a free education often come numerous legal issues that parents should consider when sending their children to public schools.

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

Don't know where that quote is from 

But even illegals can go to public schools free 

and there is no way for a school to accept money

they are governed by a yearly budget 

Every state has a public school system to provide free education to every child. Public schools are government-run schools regulated by federal, state and local law. However, with a free education often come numerous legal issues that parents should consider when sending their children to public schools.

Sorry, your information is incorrect.  Schools accept money all the time -- state funds, federal funds, fees, donations, etc.  The only requirement is to specifically account for all receipts and to use the money for its intended purpose.

First, it should be noted that the following does not apply to the OP. The following information is about only those individuals who are entering the United States for the specific purpose of studying, i.e., those needing a student visa.   It does not apply to those on other types of visas (F2,  J2, L1, A2, etc.) who are studying, as the OP was.  

Second, there is no free public education for a student visa holder (F1, J1, M1).  There is no provision at all for an elementary school student to enter the United States on a student visa to study at a public school. They must be going to a private school and, therefore, paying all the costs required by the school.  A high school student can attend a public high school in the United States for one year.  However, in order to do so, they must pay the full cost of that year's education by repaying the school the full, unsubsidized cost of providing that education.  If more than one year of high school is desired, it must be at a private high school (or while on another visa type as noted above and not on an F1 visa), with all school fees paid.  Check out the following State Department website, in the section entitled "Foreign Students in Public Schools":

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/student-visa/foreign-students-in-public-schools.html .

Edited by jan22

15 hours ago, Dania A said:

My parents were studying in the USA from 2000-2004, and so I believe I was on an F2 visa. I attended preschool to grade 2 there. I asked my parents if they were ever asked to pay any fees to the school, and they said only the small registration fees/school trip ones. I really don't know how to answer this question... Is there by any chance I owe a lot of money to those public schools?

No, this thing, also known as "student visa violator" applies only to people who got an F-1 to go to a private high school and then decided to be cheeky and enrolled in a public school. It's one of those bars that never really comes up because who gets a student visa to go to high school?

All derivatives (H-4, J-2, K-2, F-2, M-2, O-2, R-2, etc) are permitted to attend public K-12 education.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
14 hours ago, NigeriaorBust said:

What about illegals.

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, Demise said:

No, this thing, also known as "student visa violator" applies only to people who got an F-1 to go to a private high school and then decided to be cheeky and enrolled in a public school. It's one of those bars that never really comes up because who gets a student visa to go to high school?

All derivatives (H-4, J-2, K-2, F-2, M-2, O-2, R-2, etc) are permitted to attend public K-12 education.

Primarily, foreign exchange students.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.