David & Olga

US Embassy in Moscow - Still Closed

333 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

We've been waiting for our visa interview in Moscow for over a year-and-a-half. I'm so ###### pissed off I can't even begin to explain. If there was not a covid-19 travel Ben I would be banging on the front door of the Moscow Embassy as we speak

Hello guys, today we have some very sad news: US embassy in Moscow announced that it will stop issuing all visas except for diplomatic ones. Any ideas what we can do? I’m very frustrated

little update: they stop issuing all non-immigrant visas, but will continue to process some very limited number of immigrant visas. 

Edited by Totino

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 4/19/2021 at 6:58 PM, Caboose29 said:

I’m curious. The people that were able to reschedule with another embassy, were they able to do their medical in their home country, or must it be done in the same country that they interview in??

I would also consider Ukraine, or Kazakhstan if Moscow can’t get their ball rolling. 

I emailed the Embassy in Kyiv and their reply was " Unfortunately, due to our own backlog we cannot accommodate all transfer requests. Please provide the Embassy with detailed information regarding the beneficiary's strong ties to Ukraine." 

Timeline
On 4/13/2021 at 10:08 PM, Vladislav667 said:

For cr/ir visa you can at least request a transfer to Poland or Kazakhstan. Bunch of people did it and everything was good

Do you know how they entered poland for their interview?

Timeline
2 hours ago, Totino said:

Hello guys, today we have some very sad news: US embassy in Moscow announced that it will stop issuing all visas except for diplomatic ones. Any ideas what we can do? I’m very frustrated

little update: they stop issuing all non-immigrant visas, but will continue to process some very limited number of immigrant visas. 

Where did you hear this? 

And do you mean indefinitely?

Edited by Chauncey

I’m waiting to talk to my fiancé later today after that news and I don’t know what to do next .. I mean, there is no chance that political situation will change in Russia for at least 5-10 years, maybe longer. What we are going to do? K1 visas are not transferred to other countries . So we have no chance ?  Can you wait 10 years ?? 

Timeline
58 minutes ago, Totino said:

I’m waiting to talk to my fiancé later today after that news and I don’t know what to do next .. I mean, there is no chance that political situation will change in Russia for at least 5-10 years, maybe longer. What we are going to do? K1 visas are not transferred to other countries . So we have no chance ?  Can you wait 10 years ?? 

You could join a mass lawsuit, file one of your own, or cancel that petition, getting married and file I-130 for CR1 since Poland is taking those transfers (but you are still on your own to get a Schengen visa). None are great options but at least its something :( 

Found love, thought I wanted this path, two years later realized my partner was not worth all the stress 😁

41 minutes ago, Strawberrymermaid said:

You could join a mass lawsuit, file one of your own, or cancel that petition, getting married and file I-130 for CR1 since Poland is taking those transfers (but you are still on your own to get a Schengen visa). None are great options but at least its something :( 

I’m sorry to put put my word in, but you have no chance in mass lawsuit against who? It’s not the problem of American embassy , it is Russian government that expelled American ambassador and cut 75% of American embasssy staff. Who are you goi g to sue ? For what ? What is the requirement to the embassy you want to pose?  It is not that American embassy doesn’t want to interview , it is that Russian government expelled diplomats from Russia and there are simply 200 people at the embassy left. 

Timeline
Just now, Totino said:

I’m sorry to put put my word in, but you have no chance in mass lawsuit against who? It’s not the problem of American embassy , it is Russian government that expelled American ambassador and cut 75% of American embasssy staff. Who are you goi g to sue ? For what ? What is the requirement to the embassy you want to pose?  It is not that American embassy doesn’t want to interview , it is that Russian government expelled diplomats from Russia and there are simply 200 people at the embassy left. 

I totally agree and understand, I was just trying to offer some kind of solution :( 

We started the K1 route but decided to switch to CR1 as we felt it was more solid overall. 

Edited by Strawberrymermaid

Found love, thought I wanted this path, two years later realized my partner was not worth all the stress 😁

Timeline
3 hours ago, Totino said:

It's the american side that decided to halt visa services

7 minutes ago, Chauncey said:

It's the american side that decided to halt visa services

Sorry but it is NOT so. It is the Russian government that asked the ambassador Sallivan to leave, and forbid the USA embassy in Moscow to hire Russian people. Which simply led to shortage of staff for interviews. There are 200 people left at the embassy instead of 1200 in 2015. It is not the American government that doesn’t want to issue immigrant visas, it is Russian government that expelled 75% of American diplomats from Moscow . 
https://www.google.ru/amp/s/amp.dw.com/en/us-embassy-in-moscow-cuts-staff-and-visa-services/a-57385581

so the lawsuit is simply a waste of money... USA is not responsible for unfriendly actions of third countries ...

Edited by Totino

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.