klam133

K1 Visa Interview completed

15 posts in this topic

Hello all

I want to update the community that my fiance has passed the K1 visa on Dec 1st, 2020. I am so happy that we will finally unite

Questions from K1 Interview:

1. How did we meet? Who introduced us?

2. Where was the fiance born? What is his education? What was his major in college? Where does he work?

3. Where did we get engaged? Who made the first move?

Now that she has passed the interview, she is coming to the US on Dec 21, 2020.

I have a list of questions i hope the community could help me with?
1. I am currently living in an apartment, should i tell my landlord that my fiance is coming to live with me? Since she doesnt have a SSN, can she stay with me?

2. What is our next step? I have filled out the marriage license and waiting for her arrival to sign the document? What is the next paperwork should i fill out?

Thank you. 

I don't rent so I'm not sure what's required of you. I'm sure someone else can help you with that.

Before she moves to the US, make sure she has her original birth certificate when she flies over. If she is divorced, make sure she has her original divorce decree. If she has kids, original birth certificate of the kids too.

As soon as she gets here, best to apply for a SSN a.s.a.p. But if you're doing a court house wedding fairly soon after her arrival and she's taking your last name, perhaps wait till after the wedding to get the SSN so a name change is not required. But if you guys are getting married closer to the end of your 90-day window, just get the SSN first and do a name change afterwards.

SSN means you can file taxes jointly for 2020 in 2021 without the need of her getting a ITIN. SSN also means you can easily add her to your health insurance as well as a beneficiary to a variety of your work benefits. SSN also means you guys can open a joint bank account at just about any banks (if without SSN, Bank of America is immigrant friendly and won't be a hassle).

In terms of vaccination, if her DS-3025 does not say complete because she's missing some shots, bring her to get the shots when she arrives. Thereafter, call around to find a CS in the area to transcribe the DS-3025 and additional vaccination records onto a I-693. Don't get duped into paying for a new and full medical examination. That's unnecessary and usually costs too much because the CS are out making money.

In the meantime and as soon as she gets here, start prepping the AOS I-485 + EAD I-765 + AP I-131 paperwork so that you can send those out upon marriage without a long delay. 

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
21 minutes ago, klam133 said:

Hello all

I want to update the community that my fiance has passed the K1 visa on Dec 1st, 2020. I am so happy that we will finally unite

Questions from K1 Interview:

1. How did we meet? Who introduced us?

2. Where was the fiance born? What is his education? What was his major in college? Where does he work?

3. Where did we get engaged? Who made the first move?

Now that she has passed the interview, she is coming to the US on Dec 21, 2020.

I have a list of questions i hope the community could help me with?
1. I am currently living in an apartment, should i tell my landlord that my fiance is coming to live with me? Since she doesnt have a SSN, can she stay with me?

2. What is our next step? I have filled out the marriage license and waiting for her arrival to sign the document? What is the next paperwork should i fill out?

Thank you. 

Do not book tickets or make any travel arrangements until the visa is in hand and has been checked for error.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

On 12/10/2020 at 4:40 PM, KULtoATL said:

I don't rent so I'm not sure what's required of you. I'm sure someone else can help you with that.

Before she moves to the US, make sure she has her original birth certificate when she flies over. If she is divorced, make sure she has her original divorce decree. If she has kids, original birth certificate of the kids too.

As soon as she gets here, best to apply for a SSN a.s.a.p. But if you're doing a court house wedding fairly soon after her arrival and she's taking your last name, perhaps wait till after the wedding to get the SSN so a name change is not required. But if you guys are getting married closer to the end of your 90-day window, just get the SSN first and do a name change afterwards.

SSN means you can file taxes jointly for 2020 in 2021 without the need of her getting a ITIN. SSN also means you can easily add her to your health insurance as well as a beneficiary to a variety of your work benefits. SSN also means you guys can open a joint bank account at just about any banks (if without SSN, Bank of America is immigrant friendly and won't be a hassle).

In terms of vaccination, if her DS-3025 does not say complete because she's missing some shots, bring her to get the shots when she arrives. Thereafter, call around to find a CS in the area to transcribe the DS-3025 and additional vaccination records onto a I-693. Don't get duped into paying for a new and full medical examination. That's unnecessary and usually costs too much because the CS are out making money.

In the meantime and as soon as she gets here, start prepping the AOS I-485 + EAD I-765 + AP I-131 paperwork so that you can send those out upon marriage without a long delay. 

Thank you for taking your time response to my question. Can you explain a bit more on SSN and name change. She is taking my last name and i was under the impression that she can only change her last name when she applies for citizenship. 

2 hours ago, klam133 said:

Thank you for taking your time response to my question. Can you explain a bit more on SSN and name change. She is taking my last name and i was under the impression that she can only change her last name when she applies for citizenship. 

She can take your last name upon marriage really. I believe that could be reflected on the marriage certificate. That doesn't usually cost anything. 

Name change at N-400 stage is more like if the immigrant wants to change their names completely and don't want to pay for a name change fee and/or having to file paperwork at the court. It's a matter of convenience.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If you are renting, you need to check your lease carefully.  Many times there will be specific provisions in the lease that if you have someone living there and don't tell the landlord, that is grounds for getting evicted.  

I'd recommend getting married immediately or very soon after she arrives to the US so you can apply for the EAD, travel authorization and Green card ASAP.  In many states, she will not be able to get a driver's license, etc. until she at least has the EAD.  

When my fiancé arrived:

1)  Told my landlord she was arriving.  Since I was moving in a few weeks after her arrival so the landlord didn't care.

2)  Got married 2 days after she arrived in a civil ceremony.  Had her last name changed to mine when we got married.

3)  Applied to get the SSN at a local office after we moved to Iowa using her married name.  

4)  Submitted her I-485 application and all the other related documents for her EAD, travel authorization and Green card

5)  After she received her EAD we took her to the Driver's license place and she got her Iowa ID and learner's permit for driving

11 hours ago, AndrewF said:

If you are renting, you need to check your lease carefully.  Many times there will be specific provisions in the lease that if you have someone living there and don't tell the landlord, that is grounds for getting evicted.  

I'd recommend getting married immediately or very soon after she arrives to the US so you can apply for the EAD, travel authorization and Green card ASAP.  In many states, she will not be able to get a driver's license, etc. until she at least has the EAD.  

When my fiancé arrived:

1)  Told my landlord she was arriving.  Since I was moving in a few weeks after her arrival so the landlord didn't care.

2)  Got married 2 days after she arrived in a civil ceremony.  Had her last name changed to mine when we got married.

3)  Applied to get the SSN at a local office after we moved to Iowa using her married name.  

4)  Submitted her I-485 application and all the other related documents for her EAD, travel authorization and Green card

5)  After she received her EAD we took her to the Driver's license place and she got her Iowa ID and learner's permit for driving

Thank you so much. I was able to get with my landlord and she agrees that she can add her later to the lease when she gets the SSN. Phewwwww, I feel very lucky, another thing off my mind.

I am filling out the marriage license and will submit it once she gets here and sign it.

Regarding SSN, how would i go about applying for it? Do i need to wait for EAD to arrive and then apply for SSN? Is it a difficult process?

On 12/11/2020 at 8:43 PM, KULtoATL said:

She can take your last name upon marriage really. I believe that could be reflected on the marriage certificate. That doesn't usually cost anything. 

Name change at N-400 stage is more like if the immigrant wants to change their names completely and don't want to pay for a name change fee and/or having to file paperwork at the court. It's a matter of convenience.

Thank you. 
If she change her name at marriage stage, would it affect her paperwork when she does the AOS?

24 minutes ago, klam133 said:

Thank you. 
If she change her name at marriage stage, would it affect her paperwork when she does the AOS?

The form has fields for current legal name and other names one has used. 

Screenshot_20201212-232456.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
12 hours ago, klam133 said:

Thank you so much. I was able to get with my landlord and she agrees that she can add her later to the lease when she gets the SSN. Phewwwww, I feel very lucky, another thing off my mind.

I am filling out the marriage license and will submit it once she gets here and sign it.

Regarding SSN, how would i go about applying for it? Do i need to wait for EAD to arrive and then apply for SSN? Is it a difficult process?

I believe you apply for the SSN as soon as she arrives in the US. Look at the guide here on VJ, it tells you all the documents you'll need

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2020 at 4:40 PM, KULtoATL said:

Quick question for you.

If my fiancé decided to change her name, dropping off her last name as it is confusing in the US. After we getting married, how can i bring this to the SSN to get her name legally changed on the SSC?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I think most will say that legal name changes should wait until the entire immigration process is finished . . . through citizenship.  Otherwise, you are producing another set of documents that will require additional proof that" document A" is the same person on "document B."  Furthermore, the Vietnamese consulate/embassy may not accept the name change when it is time to request a new passport.

Jason

3 hours ago, JasonGG said:

I think most will say that legal name changes should wait until the entire immigration process is finished . . . through citizenship.  Otherwise, you are producing another set of documents that will require additional proof that" document A" is the same person on "document B."  Furthermore, the Vietnamese consulate/embassy may not accept the name change when it is time to request a new passport.

Jason

Thank you jason for being so active in answering all my questions.

4 hours ago, JasonGG said:

Jason

Hi Jason

regarding the namr change on marriage license, we can completely change the name right? As i am planning to drop het middle name and have my last name

example:

current: First: Thu Thao, Middle: Thi, Last: Nguyen

after marriage 

First: Thu Thao

Last: Tran

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
12 minutes ago, klam133 said:

Hi Jason

regarding the namr change on marriage license, we can completely change the name right? As i am planning to drop het middle name and have my last name

example:

current: First: Thu Thao, Middle: Thi, Last: Nguyen

after marriage 

First: Thu Thao

Last: Tran

I am not sure if you can change more than the last name through marriage.  You may need to ask someone with more legal experience.  For Vietnamese citizens, it is important to keep a Vietnamese last name because my understanding is that the Vietnamese government will only issue documents (like passport renewals) with the Vietnamese surname.  Also, even though she has changed her name in the U.S., it may be more difficult updating her Vietnamese passport.  You should contact the Vietnamese embassy/consulate near you to ask what is needed to update your passport with the new name.  You can get some information from the embassy website - http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/.  Phone calls go to voice mall, but they have always answered my emails within 24 hours.

Whatever you do, get several copies of the notarized marriage certificate.  I think we have used at least 5 as we go through the AOS and ROC process, dealt with the IRS regarding her son as my dependent, updated social security, applied for a driver's license, added her to my medical insurance, school enrollment (mom and kids), etc.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.