KennyG

Form I-130 Process for Family from Venezuela

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

As a US citizen, I am looking to apply for the I-130 for my parents and sister.   My sister lives in Bogota and is 36.  My parents travel back and forth from Venezuela to Bogota.  Can someone explain the process in obtaining a I-130 for my family or is there another option?  Is better just to apply for my parents? Thank you. 

You will not be able to apply for your entire family to immigrate at the same time. Parents and sister will need to be done separately.  All will be done via an I130 but there are different visa categories that will be relevant.

1. You apply category IR5 for your parents. A separate i130 form for each parent will be required. Historically this takes about a year. Parents are what is called “immediate relative” category, there is no quota for visa numbers, and as soon as the forms are processed they can get put in line for interview at the embassy.

2. Your sister will be much longer. There is a quota for sibling visas (category F4), and the current wait time is around 13-14 years for a visa. If she is unmarried and will remain so, another option is for your parents to sponsor her after they get their green cards (category F2B). There is also a quota for these but the wait is much shorter than for a sibling visa, usually around 5-6 years. (Note all these wait times can change while you are waiting.)

If you look at the top of the page to the “guides” link there is more information on the processes.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

With Biden elected worth mentioning that his proposals including the issuance of a temporary visa to allow a beneficiary to stay in the US whilst waiting for their priority date, which makes a sibling sponsorship much more practical.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

One is a form one is a visa category

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

33 minutes ago, Boiler said:

With Biden elected worth mentioning that his proposals including the issuance of a temporary visa to allow a beneficiary to stay in the US whilst waiting for their priority date, which makes a sibling sponsorship much more practical.

After years of seeing immigration proposals remain proposals, not something I would count on

30 minutes ago, KennyG said:

Oh wow, yes thank you.

So, there is 2 type of form? IR5 and I-130?

Please re read the first paragraph 

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

You will not be able to apply for your entire family to immigrate at the same time. Parents and sister will need to be done separately.  All will be done via an I130 but there are different visa categories that will be relevant.

1. You apply category IR5 for your parents. A separate i130 form for each parent will be required. Historically this takes about a year. Parents are what is called “immediate relative” category, there is no quota for visa numbers, and as soon as the forms are processed they can get put in line for interview at the embassy.

2. Your sister will be much longer. There is a quota for sibling visas (category F4), and the current wait time is around 13-14 years for a visa. If she is unmarried and will remain so, another option is for your parents to sponsor her after they get their green cards (category F2B). There is also a quota for these but the wait is much shorter than for a sibling visa, usually around 5-6 years. (Note all these wait times can change while you are waiting.)

If you look at the top of the page to the “guides” link there is more information on the processes.

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

I'm really interested in this, but curious too.. there are A LOT of people in line. I can't wrap my brain around processing so many immigrants in a short amount of time. I'm really curious to see what happens.

5 minutes ago, Daisy.Chain said:

I'm really interested in this, but curious too.. there are A LOT of people in line. I can't wrap my brain around processing so many immigrants in a short amount of time. I'm really curious to see what happens.

3.5 million people in line. That’s about four times the annual amount of immigrant visas they process (or rather processed before the Trump bans/Covid shutdowns).  If they try do it it will just totally gum up the works for everyone, unless there is a massive increase in capacity at embassies around the world, particularly the ones with the biggest waitlists. But I don’t think it will even get that far... definitely not with a Republican senate (and tbh I doubt it would even have unanimous Dem support).

Timeline
32 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

3.5 million people in line. That’s about four times the annual amount of immigrant visas they process (or rather processed before the Trump bans/Covid shutdowns).  If they try do it it will just totally gum up the works for everyone, unless there is a massive increase in capacity at embassies around the world, particularly the ones with the biggest waitlists. But I don’t think it will even get that far... definitely not with a Republican senate (and tbh I doubt it would even have unanimous Dem support).

I think it is a lot more than that, for example my Brother, I would not dream of petitioning him as under current regs he would be seriously old when he got here, but now this would for a relatively small fee get him a visa to live and work in the US effectively indefinitely, without even having to sponsor him. Well show the finances, becomes extremely attractive.

So a lot pf people who would not have bothered, perhaps their siblings are middle aged and do not want to retire to the US, well why not?

17 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I think it is a lot more than that, for example my Brother, I would not dream of petitioning him as under current regs he would be seriously old when he got here, but now this would for a relatively small fee get him a visa to live and work in the US effectively indefinitely, without even having to sponsor him. Well show the finances, becomes extremely attractive.

So a lot pf people who would not have bothered, perhaps their siblings are middle aged and do not want to retire to the US, well why not?

You have an awful lot of faith that this is an outcome to expect. You’ve just elucidated an example of why so many lawmakers would be against it. Just dump another 3.5m people into the workforce, and then many more like your brother? Sure. 
I’ve heard many, many immigration proposals in the time I lived here. I believe the number that have made it into law = zero. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
8 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

You have an awful lot of faith that this is an outcome to expect. You’ve just elucidated an example of why so many lawmakers would be against it. Just dump another 3.5m people into the workforce, and then many more like your brother? Sure. 
I’ve heard many, many immigration proposals in the time I lived here. I believe the number that have made it into law = zero. 

Ohh I know all politicians are two faced and some more than others.

Bidens plans are compared to others in his party relatively conservative.

Add asylum and refugee programmes, well siblings in number terms are quite small. So what will they do, will be interesting to see.

I assume lots of job opportunities at USCIS.

17 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Ohh I know all politicians are two faced and some more than others.

Bidens plans are compared to others in his party relatively conservative.

Add asylum and refugee programmes, well siblings in number terms are quite small. So what will they do, will be interesting to see.

I assume lots of job opportunities at USCIS.

Or maybe not, aren’t the proposed visas only available if the petition gets approved anyway? That’s still well over 10 years for sibling visas. 

Anyway it’s pretty irrelevant to the thread as the law currently stands. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
8 hours ago, Boiler said:

With biden, maybe no one will need visas anymore.  We sure would save a lot of money, with immigration. If we just would have open borders.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.