BaileyHunter

Marriage certificate issue (has divorce decree)

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Panic question for anyone previously married & completed the K1 interview. 

Did they need a copy of fiancé's marriage certificate when you had their divorce decree?

I have all his paperwork and even notarised legal property agreement documentation that lists his official marriage date, but not his actual marriage certificate. I'm panicking now. Only missing piece.

Interview at US Consulate Montreal November 23rd.

Edited by BaileyHunter

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
38 minutes ago, BaileyHunter said:

Panic question for anyone previously married & completed the K1 interview. 

Did they need a copy of fiancé's marriage certificate when you had their divorce decree?

I have all his paperwork and even notarised legal property agreement documentation that lists his official marriage date, but not his actual marriage certificate. I'm panicking now. Only missing piece.

Interview at US Consulate Montreal November 23rd.

They only asked for a certified copy of the divorce decree not the marriage certificate.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Yani08 said:

They only asked for a certified copy of the divorce decree not the marriage certificate.

Thank you! It threw me when I was organising and copying documents for interview and didn't have that one. Seemed stupid to need both, but it was listed so I had a moment. LOL.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
47 minutes ago, BaileyHunter said:

Thank you! It threw me when I was organising and copying documents for interview and didn't have that one. Seemed stupid to need both, but it was listed so I had a moment. LOL.

Where did you see it listed?

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Where did you see it listed?

On my p4 letter of what to bring.only place it's listed though. Not on the travel.gov site which lists documents required.  

2020-11-15 16.02.59.png

Edited by BaileyHunter

Timeline

The letter is more important than travel.gov since it comes from your special consulate/ embassy. I hope somebody who had the same issue in Montreal can answer cause they're the only ones helpful here.

Did you tried contacting Montreal to ask?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Letspaintcookies said:

The letter is more important than travel.gov since it comes from your special consulate/ embassy. I hope somebody who had the same issue in Montreal can answer cause they're the only ones helpful here.

Did you tried contacting Montreal to ask?

They don't respond to anything. It's auto response. If they do actually reply it's a week or two later with a form response that doesn't answer the questions asked. Been there too many times in this process. 

Timeline

@Greenbaum did this happened to cross your path at some point or do you know somebody who could know the answer?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
5 hours ago, BaileyHunter said:

Maybe it is consulate specific or it’s possible they are using the same checklist for K1 and CR1 so the if applicable would apply. I sure hope someone who has been through that embassy responds so you can be certain. It wouldn’t hurt to take it if you have it readily available

Timeline

Thank you everyone. I think it's because they are using the same checklist of cr1/ir1 as for K1.  

I really appreciate everyone's answers. Helped me stop getting over stressed.  😊

Timeline

I have done my interview on November 4, I was married before they only ask me for my divorce certificate, Good luck on your interview.

Edited by Sam.T

You only need original divorce decrees not marriage certificates unless you’re currently married. So K1 would only need divorce decrees. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.