RoseMalaysia

Any Indonesian, Malay or Singaporian/American couples?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

I've scrolled through this sub-thread and haven't seen anyone from Indonesia, Malaysia , or Singapore engaged to an American!

Was wondering if there are any couples like us?

My name is Rose and I'm from Penang, Malaysia :)

Edited by RoseMalaysia

~~moved to Asia East and Pacific from Europe and Eurasia regional forums~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

My fiance is from Medan, Indonesia. She's currently in Taiwan though. Of the counties I've seen posting here, that area seems to have low representation. 🙁

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
On 11/9/2020 at 8:03 PM, Blkbam said:

My fiance is from Medan, Indonesia. She's currently in Taiwan though. Of the counties I've seen posting here, that area seems to have low representation. 🙁

I just looked at google maps and Medan is a cross the malacca strait from Penang :) 

I hope I can visit it one day

Timeline
6 hours ago, RoseMalaysia said:

I just looked at google maps and Medan is a cross the malacca strait from Penang :) 

I hope I can visit it one day

I hope so also. I can't wait for this pandemic to be over. We're also planning a ceremony in Indonesia also but thankfully we chose the US first.

• 2 months later...

My wife is from Jakarta, Indonesia. We are here currently. She has had her interview but they wouldn't give her visa yet. They said her passport name and birth certificate name has to be a 100% match. Her B.C. only has her first name.  We don't want to change her passport to only first name. We have also seen that many others have got approved without having an exact match between the two.  Could any of you give me some advice please? Thanks! :)  @Blkbam

August 15, 2019: Submitted Date
September 09, 2019 (around this date): Received NOA1

April 15, 2020: USCIS approved. Sent to National Visa Center

Timeline
10 hours ago, jagsfl said:

My wife is from Jakarta, Indonesia. We are here currently. She has had her interview but they wouldn't give her visa yet. They said her passport name and birth certificate name has to be a 100% match. Her B.C. only has her first name.  We don't want to change her passport to only first name. We have also seen that many others have got approved without having an exact match between the two.  Could any of you give me some advice please? Thanks! :)  @Blkbam

We haven't reached the interview stage yet but we may face the same issue. Her birth certificate should have a 4 part name but it only has 3 with the 2 middle joined together. Luckily it matches everywhere but when I met her she hard started the process to fix it. I recommended she stop while we go through the K1 process.

Also since birth certificates in Indonesia only specify a name and not the westernized break down, it has made paperwork pretty interesting. With a 4 part name and going through life being called by either the first or the fourth, she had some confusion initially as to what name to put in what field.

Names in Indonesia are fun it seems.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

@jagsfl do you have any progress on your visa? my fiance had her interview and was approved yesterday. They told her she should have her visa next week assuming all goes well. I'm wondering if they told you fiance at the interview or sometime after.

4 hours ago, Blkbam said:

@jagsfl do you have any progress on your visa? my fiance had her interview and was approved yesterday. They told her she should have her visa next week assuming all goes well. I'm wondering if they told you fiance at the interview or sometime after.

Hey @Blkbam, yep! Her and I are in the states now. It took her about 10 days or so to get the visa back. They told her same at interview - everything was approved and just wait for visa

Timeline
2 hours ago, jagsfl said:

Hey @Blkbam, yep! Her and I are in the states now. It took her about 10 days or so to get the visa back. They told her same at interview - everything was approved and just wait for visa

@jagsfl  Congratulations! glad it all worked out. they gave us no indication of trouble so I'm going to take that as a good sign 🤞

37 minutes ago, Blkbam said:

@jagsfl  Congratulations! glad it all worked out. they gave us no indication of trouble so I'm going to take that as a good sign 🤞

Thank you! Yeah that's a good sign. You guys will be all set here soon. Just buy the green card before ya leave Indonesia! They will mail you the passport and the paper instructions. Good luck!

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Hi Everyone, just found this thread! 

I'm from Jakarta and my fiancé is from US. We just got our NoA 2 on June 15

Good luck for everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.