lazylady

Being separated by school when filing I-751

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi everyone, 

Do you know if being separated by school/summer internship would be a big issue when filing for removal of conditions? I'm planning to attend Business school in 2022 - 2024, and most of the good Bschools are more than 2 hours from where we live. Commuting 4 hours everyday for school is not ideal for me, so I think I'll have to stay in dorms during weekdays and only go home for the weekend. My USC husband cannot give up his job to move to another city, because he has a contract with them till 2025 (or he will have to pay back his Master's tuition)

With current estimate (could very well be changed), we'll need to file I-751 in 2023, in the middle of my MBA course. Do you think the fact that we don't live together for most of the week would be an issue to USCIS? 

If you were in a similar situation, did you have to go to interview with USCIS? What questions were you asked?

Thank you so much!

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Portugal
Timeline

better avoid any red flags because i751 processing can take up to years and years stuck ...

make it easy simple gather all evidence take your wife with you ....

marraiage means marriage not correspondance ...

good luck 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thousands of applicants are in the same situation as you.  Even if you stay in a dorm during the week, your permanent address will still be the same as your husband's, right?

It's not an issue.  When it comes time to file your paperwork, just add a sentence to your cover letter stating that you are in a Master's program, and that you live at your University during the week, and with your hubby on the weekends. 

Best of luck with your MBA!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

6 hours ago, lazylady said:

Hi everyone, 

Do you know if being separated by school/summer internship would be a big issue when filing for removal of conditions? I'm planning to attend Business school in 2022 - 2024, and most of the good Bschools are more than 2 hours from where we live. Commuting 4 hours everyday for school is not ideal for me, so I think I'll have to stay in dorms during weekdays and only go home for the weekend. My USC husband cannot give up his job to move to another city, because he has a contract with them till 2025 (or he will have to pay back his Master's tuition)

With current estimate (could very well be changed), we'll need to file I-751 in 2023, in the middle of my MBA course. Do you think the fact that we don't live together for most of the week would be an issue to USCIS? 

If you were in a similar situation, did you have to go to interview with USCIS? What questions were you asked?

Thank you so much!

Ok so let us see if I am following:

Your a student and you are on a F-1 and have not completed AOS but expect to be a LPR next year.  You are going to be together prior to the AOS interview.  If that's the case then you should pass thru that hurdle.  Living apart (but still close enough to be together on the weekends) shouldn't be too problematic.  Do what you can to maximize the time together.  My (ex)wife's MBA involved a lot of weekend / late night projects so maybe he can travel to you if that is the case.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

9 hours ago, lazylady said:

Hi everyone, 

Thank you so much!

You need to pass 2-year green card first lady. Current year is 2020, you have 3 more years for taking care your case. you won't know what will happen in your next 3 years.

Edited by Ku Mưa

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for your input. 

Just to clarify on my situation: I'm on H1B and filed for AOS this June. I know it's very early to talk about anything, especially with so much uncertainty in immigration, but we want to plan ahead because MBA tuition is a major investment for us. We don't want to risk timing this wrong and messing up with both immigration and a major investment/career change. If I get into an MBA program (finger crossed), I plan to stay home with my hubby in the weekend, holidays and breaks (probably even more often if school is not too busy), and stay in a dorm room if I can't make it home during the weekdays. 

Would it be correct that my permanent and mailing address is my home address (with my husband)? Then should I fill my physical address as the dorm or my home?

Edited by lazylady

1 hour ago, lazylady said:

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for your input. 

Just to clarify on my situation: I'm on H1B and filed for AOS this June. I know it's very early to talk about anything, especially with so much uncertainty in immigration, but we want to plan ahead because MBA tuition is a major investment for us. We don't want to risk timing this wrong and messing up with both immigration and a major investment/career change. If I get into an MBA program (finger crossed), I plan to stay home with my hubby in the weekend, holidays and breaks (probably even more often if school is not too busy), and stay in a dorm room if I can't make it home during the weekdays. 

Would it be correct that my permanent and mailing address is my home address (with my husband)? Then should I fill my physical address as the dorm or my home?

I don't see an issue. Your situation is not that different from married where one of the spouses travels for work. My spouse is sometimes not home the whole work week and occasionally during the weekend, too (unfortunately). Well, he stays at hotels, not dorms, and there are big chunks of without traveling but it's similar in a way. I assume you'll be back home during vacations and stuff. 

I am not sure if your dorm will count as your physical address. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

To get your LPR through marriage the couple needs to share finances and live together that is how the USCIS determines that you have a real marriage. If you don't do those two things together then you are putting your LPR at risk.

You should maintain the same home address with your spouse where your both get mail and you have a joint lease, have joint bills and file taxes together jointly. 

Going to school a hundred(s) miles away from your home address with your spouse will in itself raise red flags with USCIS that you are not together with your spouse.

Best to move together somewhere where you can live with your spouse with a reasonable commute for each to school and to job or wait until you get your citizenship then go to school. 

If you go through with the home on weekend and holidays plan best to document each trip and days with spouse as evidence for your case. If legal keep the same home address with spouse at all times. You will make your case harder to prove a bona fide marriage you will need to go to an extra effort for additional proof if you spend time away and rent another place stay the during the week.

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

55 minutes ago, da95826 said:

To get your LPR through marriage the couple needs to share finances and live together that is how the USCIS determines that you have a real marriage. If you don't do those two things together then you are putting your LPR at risk.

You should maintain the same home address with your spouse where your both get mail and you have a joint lease, have joint bills and file taxes together jointly. 

Going to school a hundred(s) miles away from your home address with your spouse will in itself raise red flags with USCIS that you are not together with your spouse.

Best to move together somewhere where you can live with your spouse with a reasonable commute for each to school and to job or wait until you get your citizenship then go to school. 

If you go through with the home on weekend and holidays plan best to document each trip and days with spouse as evidence for your case. If legal keep the same home address with spouse at all times. You will make your case harder to prove a bona fide marriage you will need to go to an extra effort for additional proof if you spend time away and rent another place stay the during the week.

Many people travel for work. It's not unheard of for many couples to only see each other during the weekend. A driving distance of two hours is not that significant. 

Timeline

Traveling for work is not the issue even every week, going for short term training and staying at hotel is not an issue as long as you are home with your spouse much more than you are not and you are staying hotels that you are being reimburses for by your employer.

But a spouse and applicant working for employers and/or enrolled in schools for years in different cities far apart is an issue in itself. Spending money for a second place to live weather for a dorm or apartment is a red flag to USCIS that you are not together as a couple. 

I would make every effort for each spouse to work for employers in the same areas as they live and each to be enrolled in school in the same area as the spouses work and home address. 

Working or going to school full time apart from your spouse is an issue and will make it harder you for to prove you have a real marriage as defined by USCIS. 

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Approved June 08, 2022

Approved June 08, 2022

11 hours ago, da95826 said:

What about truck drivers? Airlines crew members? Consultants traveling for work? Medical students matching to different hospitals? Permanent residents are not locked down... You can even divorce and ROC successfully!

OP: husband and myself both travel a lot for work, and we did not receive any RFE.  We were prepared to show that we live together, even if we have to spend some time apart.
In addition to weekend visits, your spouse might be able to visit at times, mid week dates and overnight can be a lot of fun, so are halfway meetups.

23 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

What about truck drivers? Airlines crew members? Consultants traveling for work? Medical students matching to different hospitals? Permanent residents are not locked down... You can even divorce and ROC successfully!

OP: husband and myself both travel a lot for work, and we did not receive any RFE.  We were prepared to show that we live together, even if we have to spend some time apart.
In addition to weekend visits, your spouse might be able to visit at times, mid week dates and overnight can be a lot of fun, so are halfway meetups.

Yes, and firefighters! Some are gone for months now, are their marriages not real? 

26 minutes ago, da95826 said:

Traveling for work is not the issue even every week, going for short term training and staying at hotel is not an issue as long as you are home with your spouse much more than you are not and you are staying hotels that you are being reimburses for by your employer.

But a spouse and applicant working for employers and/or enrolled in schools for years in different cities far apart is an issue in itself. Spending money for a second place to live weather for a dorm or apartment is a red flag to USCIS that you are not together as a couple. 

I would make every effort for each spouse to work for employers in the same areas as they live and each to be enrolled in school in the same area as the spouses work and home address. 

Working or going to school full time apart from your spouse is an issue and will make it harder you for to prove you have a real marriage as defined by USCIS. 

They will be in the same area, only two hours apart. They're just saving some commute time during the week. Still maintaining one household. 

Timeline

You are proving my point, they travel for work; the airline put airline worker up in hotels that they pay for and you go home every few days and stay at home, truck drivers are staying in their trucks or stay in motels in efferent locations but come home to live and maintain one address with spouse. If you travel for work for an employer or you are self employed and you come home after the job then you are good, no issue.

That is not the same as enrolling in school or taking a job away from your spouse and getting a 2nd place to live. If you do not live, work or attend school in the same metro area as your spouse you will make harder to proof a real marriage to USCIS.

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Approved June 08, 2022

Approved June 08, 2022

Many crew members are based out of their city and will get a crashpad or apartment away from home. Consultants can be gone for months at a time!  @da95826 I understand you are trying to tell them to be prudent, and it is ok, but there is a fine line between that and fear mongering. 

DO NOT LISTEN TO ALL THIS PEOPLE THAT ARE TRYING TO CONFUSE YOU.

I was in the EXACT (even crazier)  situation as you.... We (my wife and I)  were living apart (2 different states) and my job allowing me one week off every month to go see my wife. 

You just have to have only one permanent address

Do not put more than one address when you filling, It will confuse the immigration officer.

I still got approved with no RFE nor interview 

I have submitted the following 

+ A cover letter  explaining EXACTLY our living condition. I did not try to hide anything. 

+ A letter from my contract with my employer specifying that, I will be off work 1 week every month to go see my wife.

+ Bunch of notice of assignments in different states ( Arizona, Utah, Texas,Virginia etc...😓😓😓) I have been moving all over this country and still is. 

+ Joint Lease (Only one address)

+ BUNCH of plane tickets showing that I have been visiting my wife and vise versa

+ Joint Insurances (medical dental and vision) and medical bills showing we are both using the insurance.

+ Live insurance policy showing that my wife will be beneficiary if anything happens to me

+ Utility Bills

+ Tax (Filed as married but filed separately)

+Bunch of credit cards statements.

I didn't bother sending joint bank account statements since my wife is the only one using that bank account. 

I didn't BOTHER sending this people pictures. . 

That's my story, I hope this will help somebody. Good luck guys, stay strong and have faith.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.