Cdnusagurl

Separated and reconciled

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Alright, so I'm not sure if this would be considered a "red flag" to a CO or not. But before I petitioned my husband to join me in the US, we separated. I won't go into details, but after being miserable in Canada for 9 years, I decided to return to the US without my husband. I was in the US for 1 month before we reconciled and decided to give things a go. And now, although we're separated physically again, I think our marriage is stronger and better than ever. My question is, will this be a problem when we get to the interview stage?

My husband was served separation orders after I left by my attorney, but I also rescinded the order when we decided to try reconciling. I'm just not sure if the US government will be able to see those records since 1) he never signed the paperwork and 2) they were served in a foreign country. Before our separation we had been living together for 9 years and married for almost 5 of those years. So I know that will help, but I'm now scared that our short legal separation might hinder things.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

The separation wasn’t a divorce, just a separation correct? And you guys reconciled BEFORE you filed the petition? I personally don’t see an issue esp given the length of the relationship . You may be questioned but it’s not unheard of take a break and reconcile. 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

The separation wasn’t a divorce, just a separation correct? And you guys reconciled BEFORE you filed the petition? I personally don’t see an issue esp given the length of the relationship . You may be questioned but it’s not unheard of take a break and reconcile. 

Correct. We never got divorced and reconciled one month before I filed the petition in May.

As long as there were no papers filed with the court, and you did not rescind the petition, I can't see how it would be an issue.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

As long as there were no papers filed with the court, and you did not rescind the petition, I can't see how it would be an issue.

See I'm not 100% sure how it works in Canada. They served him with our separation agreement the day I left for the US, but I don't know if it was actually filed with any court or anything. I know my lawyer said we would have to be separated for at least one year before we could get a divorce in Canada (thank goodness), so no divorce paperwork was actually filed. I just don't want this to hurt our case because we both miss each other terribly now. I've never imagined myself being with someone else, even while we were separated, and neither has he. We just want to be together again. But this time somewhere where we can both be happy.

Just now, Cdnusagurl said:

See I'm not 100% sure how it works in Canada. They served him with our separation agreement the day I left for the US, but I don't know if it was actually filed with any court or anything. I know my lawyer said we would have to be separated for at least one year before we could get a divorce in Canada (thank goodness), so no divorce paperwork was actually filed. I just don't want this to hurt our case because we both miss each other terribly now. I've never imagined myself being with someone else, even while we were separated, and neither has he. We just want to be together again. But this time somewhere where we can both be happy.

Well, you could ask your husband if he knows something about the family law system as it relates to legal separation in Canada.  Or maybe someone here could chime in ( @Ontarkie).  I would think though, that if it had progressed to the courts, you would know.  At least, here in the US that is how it works.  

In any case, USCIS is aware that stuff happens.  No divorce or petition withdrawal occurred.  You are still legally married, and as a USC, you still have the right to petition your spouse for an immigrant visa.   Just collect your best 'ongoing relationship' evidence for him to present at the interview.

Canada is low-fraud.  Probably more Americans would try to get to Canada, than vice-versa (lol).  I really don't think you should lose sleep over this.

Best wishes, and please let us know how things progress.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

In my opinion, this is a non-issue.  There are no questions in the petition process that would require disclosing a "separation" or "separation papers", or even a divorce filing that was never finalized.  Carry on.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This didn't apply for you as you pulled it.

It's not really separation papers it's a divorce filling. The judge just won't get it on his desk until the 1 yr separation is done. When you filled your husband had 30 days to contest it. If he didn't then it moves directly to the judge once your 1 yr was up. If he ignored it did not signed it it makes no difference it moves on. 

Now for you this didn't happen as you pulled the paperwork. So it's like any other couple you has a bad bump in the road and manage to repair things. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
19 hours ago, Cdnusagurl said:

Alright, so I'm not sure if this would be considered a "red flag" to a CO or not. But before I petitioned my husband to join me in the US, we separated. I won't go into details, but after being miserable in Canada for 9 years, I decided to return to the US without my husband. I was in the US for 1 month before we reconciled and decided to give things a go. And now, although we're separated physically again, I think our marriage is stronger and better than ever. My question is, will this be a problem when we get to the interview stage?

My husband was served separation orders after I left by my attorney, but I also rescinded the order when we decided to try reconciling. I'm just not sure if the US government will be able to see those records since 1) he never signed the paperwork and 2) they were served in a foreign country. Before our separation we had been living together for 9 years and married for almost 5 of those years. So I know that will help, but I'm now scared that our short legal separation might hinder things.

No need to say you had separated temporarily. Don't ask, don't tell. Seriously. That's TMI (Too Much information) if you asked me.  To them, you should be happily married, never had a disagreement, you have honeymoon Monday through Friday.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
2 hours ago, retheem said:

To them, you should be happily married, never had a disagreement, you have honeymoon Monday through Friday.

Now that would really be suspicious for a couple married 9+ years.  

To me, there doesn't seem to be an issue with the OP's situation.  Just proceed as normal - hopefully you submitted the I-130 with proof of bona fide relationship.  At the interview answer all questions truthfully. 

Timeline
On 9/15/2020 at 1:15 AM, Ontarkie said:

This didn't apply for you as you pulled it.

It's not really separation papers it's a divorce filling. The judge just won't get it on his desk until the 1 yr separation is done. When you filled your husband had 30 days to contest it. If he didn't then it moves directly to the judge once your 1 yr was up. If he ignored it did not signed it it makes no difference it moves on. 

Now for you this didn't happen as you pulled the paperwork. So it's like any other couple you has a bad bump in the road and manage to repair things. 

Thank you. I did some reading and it looks like the divorce filing is separate (at least in Alberta) than the separation agreement. I also contacted my lawyer who told me that I did not in fact file the divorce papers since that would have to be filed separately at the one year separation mark. So looks like we are in the clear thank goodness.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Cdnusagurl said:

Thank you. I did some reading and it looks like the divorce filing is separate (at least in Alberta) than the separation agreement. I also contacted my lawyer who told me that I did not in fact file the divorce papers since that would have to be filed separately at the one year separation mark. So looks like we are in the clear thank goodness.

Good to know. Now you can relax.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.