Jess & Mike

Assets documentation - House appraisal in Australia

14 posts in this topic

Hello, 

Wondering if anyone has had to get a house appraised for NVC asset documentation? My husband (in Australia) owns his home and we were told he needed a house appraisal by a certified house appriser. Problem is, house apprasials in Australia are different than in the states, I think they're called house valuations. They're also several hundred dollars. We're trying to figure out if we actually need to get one of these or if we can just get market comps. Kinda a random question but thought I would float it out there and see if anyone has had one of these done. 

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
37 minutes ago, Jess & Mike said:

Hello, 

Wondering if anyone has had to get a house appraised for NVC asset documentation? My husband (in Australia) owns his home and we were told he needed a house appraisal by a certified house appriser. Problem is, house apprasials in Australia are different than in the states, I think they're called house valuations. They're also several hundred dollars. We're trying to figure out if we actually need to get one of these or if we can just get market comps. Kinda a random question but thought I would float it out there and see if anyone has had one of these done. 

Thanks!

do you lack current income to qualify?

YMMV

7 minutes ago, payxibka said:

do you lack current income to qualify?

No, I make sufficient income to sponsor him alone. I'm not sure why we need to provide his assets, not that we mind providing them, just not sure if we really need to fork out the funds to pay for a full house valuation. Want to make sure it's really required. :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Jess & Mike said:

No, I make sufficient income to sponsor him alone. I'm not sure why we need to provide his assets, not that we mind providing them, just not sure if we really need to fork out the funds to pay for a full house valuation. Want to make sure it's really required. :)

Don't waste your money if your income is sufficient 

YMMV

13 hours ago, Jess & Mike said:

Not required if you have sufficient income.  From the I-864 form instructions --

Part 7. Use of Assets to Supplement Income (Optional)

Only complete Part 7. if you need to use the value of assets to meet the income requirements. If your Current Annual Household Income [...] is equal to or more than needed to meet the income requirement as shown by the current Federal Poverty Guidelines (Form I-864P) for your household size [...], you do not need to complete Part 7.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
4 hours ago, Chancy said:

Not required if you have sufficient income.  From the I-864 form instructions --

Only complete Part 7. if you need to use the value of assets to meet the income requirements. If your Current Annual Household Income [...] is equal to or more than needed to meet the income requirement as shown by the current Federal Poverty Guidelines (Form I-864P) for your household size [...], you do not need to complete Part 7.

There's a heading on the form itself that says basically the same thing.  Skip the assets if the income is sufficient.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

4 hours ago, Chancy said:

Hi Chancy, my understanding is that the house valuation is not for the I-864; it's for the DS-5540, which is the form you present to the interview consular officer to show, among other things, his liabilities and assets. From what we can tell tho the officer may not even ask for it. He has full discretion.

3 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

There's a heading on the form itself that says basically the same thing.  Skip the assets if the income is sufficient.

Thanks, it's not for the I-864 form. It's for the DS-5540 form for the interview. Wondering if anyone else has done one of these?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Just now, Jess & Mike said:

Thanks, it's not for the I-864 form. It's for the DS-5540 form for the interview. Wondering if anyone else has done one of these?

Good chance you won't need that form but just some comps and a mortgage statement to document approximate value of equity should suffice.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

1 hour ago, Jess & Mike said:

Hi Chancy, my understanding is that the house valuation is not for the I-864; it's for the DS-5540, which is the form you present to the interview consular officer to show, among other things, his liabilities and assets. From what we can tell tho the officer may not even ask for it. He has full discretion.

Yes, the consul officer has full discretion to ask for the DS-5540 or not.  I think it's unlikely to be asked for in Sydney, though.  Maybe you can check with the other folks who have interviewed at the consulate so you can make a more informed decision on whether to spend for that valuation --

I've been out of the loop . . .   DS5540 is needed again?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/update-on-public-charge.html

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

26 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

I've been out of the loop . . .   DS5540 is needed again?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/update-on-public-charge.html

I forgot about that!  Thanks for the reminder, @Paul & Mary!

There you go...  "Applicants are not required to complete nor should they present the DS-5540"

23 hours ago, AliceH155 said:

@Jess & Mike I completed the DS-5540 for my interview two weeks ago and used a 'letter of opinion' from a real estate agent RE: the value of my property here in Aus.

This was free from the real estate agency who manages the rental of this property. 

Hope this helps! 

@AliceH155 Thank you!  That does help!  Did the consular officer look at it?  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.