Jump to content
Jess & Mike

Assets documentation - House appraisal in Australia

14 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello, 

Wondering if anyone has had to get a house appraised for NVC asset documentation? My husband (in Australia) owns his home and we were told he needed a house appraisal by a certified house appriser. Problem is, house apprasials in Australia are different than in the states, I think they're called house valuations. They're also several hundred dollars. We're trying to figure out if we actually need to get one of these or if we can just get market comps. Kinda a random question but thought I would float it out there and see if anyone has had one of these done. 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
37 minutes ago, Jess & Mike said:

Hello, 

Wondering if anyone has had to get a house appraised for NVC asset documentation? My husband (in Australia) owns his home and we were told he needed a house appraisal by a certified house appriser. Problem is, house apprasials in Australia are different than in the states, I think they're called house valuations. They're also several hundred dollars. We're trying to figure out if we actually need to get one of these or if we can just get market comps. Kinda a random question but thought I would float it out there and see if anyone has had one of these done. 

Thanks!

do you lack current income to qualify?


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, payxibka said:

do you lack current income to qualify?

No, I make sufficient income to sponsor him alone. I'm not sure why we need to provide his assets, not that we mind providing them, just not sure if we really need to fork out the funds to pay for a full house valuation. Want to make sure it's really required. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Jess & Mike said:

No, I make sufficient income to sponsor him alone. I'm not sure why we need to provide his assets, not that we mind providing them, just not sure if we really need to fork out the funds to pay for a full house valuation. Want to make sure it's really required. :)

Don't waste your money if your income is sufficient 


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jess & Mike said:

No, I make sufficient income to sponsor him alone. I'm not sure why we need to provide his assets, not that we mind providing them, just not sure if we really need to fork out the funds to pay for a full house valuation. Want to make sure it's really required. :)

 

Not required if you have sufficient income.  From the I-864 form instructions --

 

Part 7. Use of Assets to Supplement Income (Optional)

Only complete Part 7. if you need to use the value of assets to meet the income requirements. If your Current Annual Household Income [...] is equal to or more than needed to meet the income requirement as shown by the current Federal Poverty Guidelines (Form I-864P) for your household size [...], you do not need to complete Part 7.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
4 hours ago, Chancy said:

 

Not required if you have sufficient income.  From the I-864 form instructions --

 

Part 7. Use of Assets to Supplement Income (Optional)

Only complete Part 7. if you need to use the value of assets to meet the income requirements. If your Current Annual Household Income [...] is equal to or more than needed to meet the income requirement as shown by the current Federal Poverty Guidelines (Form I-864P) for your household size [...], you do not need to complete Part 7.

 

There's a heading on the form itself that says basically the same thing.  Skip the assets if the income is sufficient.


Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chancy said:

 

Not required if you have sufficient income.  From the I-864 form instructions --

 

Part 7. Use of Assets to Supplement Income (Optional)

Only complete Part 7. if you need to use the value of assets to meet the income requirements. If your Current Annual Household Income [...] is equal to or more than needed to meet the income requirement as shown by the current Federal Poverty Guidelines (Form I-864P) for your household size [...], you do not need to complete Part 7.

 

Hi Chancy, my understanding is that the house valuation is not for the I-864; it's for the DS-5540, which is the form you present to the interview consular officer to show, among other things, his liabilities and assets. From what we can tell tho the officer may not even ask for it. He has full discretion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

There's a heading on the form itself that says basically the same thing.  Skip the assets if the income is sufficient.

Thanks, it's not for the I-864 form. It's for the DS-5540 form for the interview. Wondering if anyone else has done one of these?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Just now, Jess & Mike said:

Thanks, it's not for the I-864 form. It's for the DS-5540 form for the interview. Wondering if anyone else has done one of these?

Good chance you won't need that form but just some comps and a mortgage statement to document approximate value of equity should suffice.


Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jess & Mike said:

Hi Chancy, my understanding is that the house valuation is not for the I-864; it's for the DS-5540, which is the form you present to the interview consular officer to show, among other things, his liabilities and assets. From what we can tell tho the officer may not even ask for it. He has full discretion.

 

Yes, the consul officer has full discretion to ask for the DS-5540 or not.  I think it's unlikely to be asked for in Sydney, though.  Maybe you can check with the other folks who have interviewed at the consulate so you can make a more informed decision on whether to spend for that valuation --

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been out of the loop . . .   DS5540 is needed again?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/update-on-public-charge.html

 


March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

I've been out of the loop . . .   DS5540 is needed again?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/update-on-public-charge.html

 

I forgot about that!  Thanks for the reminder, @Paul & Mary!

 

There you go...  "Applicants are not required to complete nor should they present the DS-5540"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, AliceH155 said:

@Jess & Mike I completed the DS-5540 for my interview two weeks ago and used a 'letter of opinion' from a real estate agent RE: the value of my property here in Aus.

This was free from the real estate agency who manages the rental of this property. 

 

Hope this helps! 

@AliceH155 Thank you!  That does help!  Did the consular officer look at it?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...