AveragePakistani

I [30/M/Lahore, Pakistan] have been with my boyfriend [25/M/NYC] since 2017 he is coming to meet me for the first time. is a first time meeting enough for him file us for K1?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
10 hours ago, AveragePakistani said:

Thank you so much! is there an option for Atheist or No religion on said form? We both literally have no problem with surrendering religion if it's going to be an obstacle for us to be together. 

I think me going to Germany and starting the process is better. I told him we can have our second meeting in Germany since it will be at the end of 2021, and end of the year is the best period for the both of us, or early 2022, since his vacations renew/expire by the April of that year. 

Again, the issue of travel is mostly on his side due to 13 days off a year, 2 days of which are spent in the plane and layovers.  

I know. We have been online for 4 years and trust me when I say I am ready for him to be at his worst. But I've been dating for a fairly long time and we both feel we are both right for each other. I know it sounds odd, but despite this being our first physical meeting, I am ready to commit. The 4 years I have been with him have been the best years of my life, we know every little thing about each other. These 10 days at most will tell us if we can live with each other, which shouldn't be a problem. 

We've both told each other our best, and worst stuff. we have put 4 years into it, and we both know that we were meant for each other. 

I have gotten your reply a lot from all my friends, they're eager to meet him too, but I've met enough guys romantically before, and I know what to watch out for in physical meeting, so it won't be issue for us to spend the time together. 

thanks for your consideration and thought, i know you mean well! and we both will definitely see how the physical meeting goes to decide how long we should wait to marry :)

Hi you can only do the process in Germany if you have legal residency there (not on a tourist visa let’s say) so make sure you meet those requirements as well if that is what you both choose. Another thing to look into so you aren’t surprised down the line is administrative processing (AP) all visa applicants go through this and it could last days to months to years. It’s basically a thorough background check after interview and again those from your county (regardless where in the world the interView Is held) tend to be placed in longer AP-thus prolonging the Time it takes to get the visa issued. Just a heads up so you aren’t surprised 🙂 some more advice for when your partner visits is to have him meet and visit with family and not just friends.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Normally for a k1 visa, contrary of what some may think, too many visits is harmful as its not customary to spend that much time (especially alone) for an unmarried Pakistani  (cr1 of course needs a lot of visits). 

For a same sex couple its a whole new ball game.  I have only seen a few on this site one was not successful but I believe one was.  Try searching the boards and perhaps reach out to them for more information on their experience.  

Timeline
4 hours ago, Luckycuds said:

Hi you can only do the process in Germany if you have legal residency there (not on a tourist visa let’s say) so make sure you meet those requirements as well if that is what you both choose. Another thing to look into so you aren’t surprised down the line is administrative processing (AP) all visa applicants go through this and it could last days to months to years. It’s basically a thorough background check after interview and again those from your county (regardless where in the world the interView Is held) tend to be placed in longer AP-thus prolonging the Time it takes to get the visa issued. Just a heads up so you aren’t surprised 🙂 some more advice for when your partner visits is to have him meet and visit with family and not just friends.

Family is absolutely out of the question.

my entire family is absolutely over the board religious. "Hey everyone, this is my friend I am going to be spending 10 days alone in a hotel room with and MAYBE marry in the future! :)" 10 minutes later, I'm Jeffery Epstein'd. 

We both don't want our families in the picture, they're both extremely religious and very toxic. We're decided that mutually long ago. I'll try the Pakistan board today and hope for some luck. 

17 hours ago, AveragePakistani said:

I want to know if this visit will be enough for him to file for a K1 when he flies back? 

That is all that is needed to file.  However it is often not enough for the consulate interview.  You will have needed to spent as much time together before the consulate stage.  It does not matter where you do this.  The issue for you is that you are Pakistani and cases take longer there because of poor records.  Even a Pakistani police certificate isn't seen as a valid document.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

That is all that is needed to file.  However it is often not enough for the consulate interview.  You will have needed to spent as much time together before the consulate stage.  It does not matter where you do this.  The issue for you is that you are Pakistani and cases take longer there because of poor records.  Even a Pakistani police certificate isn't seen as a valid document.

Yeah, I know how much the US embassy loves giving out Visa's to Pakistani citizens. I'm planning on pursuing Germany for study and hopefully if things work out, I can land a job there until we can meet more regularly. 

How would you suggest we spend more time together? I don't want to risk a rejection on my passport even though I have a house on my name, have got the equivalent of 14,000 USD in savings in a bank account in my name and have been working with the same company for 4 years now? I have seen people richer than me get rejected for less.

as mentioned, he only gets 13 days off a year, and that will refresh in April 2021 now after this visit. 

1 hour ago, AveragePakistani said:

Yeah, I know how much the US embassy loves giving out Visa's to Pakistani citizens. I'm planning on pursuing Germany for study and hopefully if things work out, I can land a job there until we can meet more regularly. 

How would you suggest we spend more time together? I don't want to risk a rejection on my passport even though I have a house on my name, have got the equivalent of 14,000 USD in savings in a bank account in my name and have been working with the same company for 4 years now? I have seen people richer than me get rejected for less.

as mentioned, he only gets 13 days off a year, and that will refresh in April 2021 now after this visit. 

There's no easy way to get more visits under your belt, especially right now. It's either you take the risk with filing K1 after only your first in-person visit with your partner OR you do a few more visits and accept that may take a couple years at minimum and then file for a visa after those visits are done.

12 hours ago, AveragePakistani said:

I don't want to risk a rejection on my passport even though I have a house on my name, have got the equivalent of 14,000 USD in savings in a bank account in my name and have been working with the same company for 4 years now?

You might want to consider a spousal over a fiance for one fact. . .  A refusal of a K1 can not be appealed and a CR1/IR1 can be appealed - technically reaffirmed by USCIS.

The amount a K1 beneficiary has in savings doesn't really matter for sponsorship.  Having an amount , especially in excess of the I-864p poverty guidelines, can help overcome the public charge concerns.  It can also be used in an I-864 for a spousal.

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

14 hours ago, AveragePakistani said:

I have a house on my name, have got the equivalent of 14,000 USD in savings in a bank account in my name and have been working with the same company for 4 years now? I have seen people richer than me get rejected for less.

None of this is really considered for a K-1 beneficiary. 

It will be adjudicated based upon the legitimacy of the relationship, and time spent together is considered very important for your embassy.  And yes, you're from a country that is not friendly towards your relationship, but same sex marriage is legal in all 50 states of the US, and has been for years.  

On 8/15/2020 at 9:46 PM, Orangesapples said:

Pretty sure that if you're Muslim, it's definitely not the norm to marry someone of the same sex. So I don't know how important tradition is here. 

This is not an issue if you interview in Germany.   It is a small issue if interviewing in Pakistan as the Consular Officer will take into consideration the totality of the circumstances.  Having more visits at the time of the interview is important.  If you go the K1 route you will want more vists to front load the petition.

On 8/15/2020 at 8:49 PM, Aili & Dani said:

Well my country is not part of EU so not really. Its harder than other European countries. 

Serbian is a European country . . . it is not in ASIA or Africa.   All of Europe is not in the EU.  Switzerland is completely surrounded by EU members but is not a EU Member.  Serbia does have issues with immigration but that is because of the various systems of records from 1918 forward and specifically records surrounding the breakup of Yugoslavia.  This is similar to the circumstances of Pakistani records.  Yugoslavia has much better records, but still to the best.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Here's my 2 cents... Pakistan is hard.  It will be a difficult process.  More visits and family approval would definitely help, but if that's not possible, don't let it stop you.  Be prepared to explain this all well.  Front load your application with as much solid relationship proof as you can.  If you think it helps your case, send it, because they may not look at anything you bring to the interview.  The fact that you have been together several years is good.  We first applied for a K1 after knowing each other for a year and meeting once.  It was denied.  One of the reasons was that I hadn't had much interaction with his family.  They also said our relationship was a "cultural aberration".  We have now met in person 5 times, two of those in Pakistan with his family.  We applied again.  His interview was in January and he was "approved", but we're still waiting for the visa.  We are not a same sex couple, so I can't comment on if your case would be viewed differently or not.  A denial for a tourist visa would not hurt your case, so if it's an option at some point to try for one for more face time, go for it.  Best of luck to you both!

• 4 months later...
On 8/16/2020 at 5:29 AM, AveragePakistani said:

Thank you so much! is there an option for Atheist or No religion on said form? We both literally have no problem with surrendering religion if it's going to be an obstacle for us to be together. 

I think me going to Germany and starting the process is better. I told him we can have our second meeting in Germany since it will be at the end of 2021, and end of the year is the best period for the both of us, or early 2022, since his vacations renew/expire by the April of that year. 

Again, the issue of travel is mostly on his side due to 13 days off a year, 2 days of which are spent in the plane and layovers.  

I know. We have been online for 4 years and trust me when I say I am ready for him to be at his worst. But I've been dating for a fairly long time and we both feel we are both right for each other. I know it sounds odd, but despite this being our first physical meeting, I am ready to commit. The 4 years I have been with him have been the best years of my life, we know every little thing about each other. These 10 days at most will tell us if we can live with each other, which shouldn't be a problem. 

We've both told each other our best, and worst stuff. we have put 4 years into it, and we both know that we were meant for each other. 

I have gotten your reply a lot from all my friends, they're eager to meet him too, but I've met enough guys romantically before, and I know what to watch out for in physical meeting, so it won't be issue for us to spend the time together. 

thanks for your consideration and thought, i know you mean well! and we both will definitely see how the physical meeting goes to decide how long we should wait to marry :)

So did you meet him? Have you filed it? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.