DanMeirian

Can my wife travel with Tourist Visa?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

My wife arrived in the U.S. in 2018 from Brazil with a Tourist Visa for a visit. The Visa expires in 2028. She then arrived in January of this year on a K-1 Visa. We were married in March. We have filed the authorization to travel and the change of status. We were told today that it would be another 4-6 months before her paperwork is processed.  She planned on traveling in November, 3 months from now because of a court date.  My question is karma is she able to still travel with her tourist Visa while awaiting the processing of her paperwork? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
5 minutes ago, DanMeirian said:

My wife arrived in the U.S. in 2018 from Brazil with a Tourist Visa for a visit. The Visa expires in 2028. She then arrived in January of this year on a K-1 Visa. We were married in March. We have filed the authorization to travel and the change of status. We were told today that it would be another 4-6 months before her paperwork is processed.  She planned on traveling in November, 3 months from now because of a court date.  My question is karma is she able to still travel with her tourist Visa while awaiting the processing of her paperwork? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

No. If she travels before she has her advance parole in hand, her AOS is considered abandoned and you will have to start over with a spousal visa while she is abroad.

With a court date, I could imagine that it’s possibly a valid reason to expedite the AP. Have you tried that?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
24 minutes ago, DanMeirian said:

Her travel visa is basically not existent anymore. Even if it says it's valid till 2028 it got revoked by the time she got the K1.

Edited by Letspaintcookies

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Once she filed for AOS, she needs AP in hand before leaving the US in order to be able to return to the US.

A tourist visa requires non-immigrant intent.  So, it's useless since she has demonstrated immigrant intent.

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Quarknase said:

No. If she travels before she has her advance parole in hand, her AOS is considered abandoned and you will have to start over with a spousal visa while she is abroad.

With a court date, I could imagine that it’s possibly a valid reason to expedite the AP. Have you tried that?

We called USCIS and she told us they couldn't do anything as of yet but we would like to purchase tickets. Can't do that unless we know she can travel. So we're stuck. Who would we contact to expedite?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
Just now, DanMeirian said:

We called USCIS and she told us they couldn't do anything as of yet but we would like to purchase tickets. Can't do that unless we know she can travel. So we're stuck. Who would we contact to expedite?

You can call the hotline and give them the receipt number of your I-131 application and state that you would like to put in a request for expedite. You can explain the reasons. They might contact you afterwards to provide proof (court date documentation).

6 hours ago, DanMeirian said:

Anyone can ask for their case to be expedited but must follow certain criteria. https://www.uscis.gov/forms/expedite-criteria  If accepted or denied neither have an impact on any other process toward a visa. 

1. For USCIS refer to https://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-information/how-make-expedite-request
  2. For NVC they expedite K-1 visas already.
  3. For Embassies; An expedited request requires you to contact them either through email or a phone call. Most embassy don't grant expedited visas but only in the case of an emergency. Check with your embassy for additional details.

Chapter 5 - Requests to Expedite Applications or Petitions

Benefit requestors may request USCIS to expedite the adjudication of their applications or petitions. USCIS considers all expedite requests on a case-by-case basis and generally requires documentation to support such requests. The decision to grant or deny an expedite request is within the sole discretion of USCIS.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
8 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

Anyone can ask for their case to be expedited but must follow certain criteria. https://www.uscis.gov/forms/expedite-criteria  If accepted or denied neither have an impact on any other process toward a visa. 

1. For USCIS refer to https://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-information/how-make-expedite-request
  2. For NVC they expedite K-1 visas already.
  3. For Embassies; An expedited request requires you to contact them either through email or a phone call. Most embassy don't grant expedited visas but only in the case of an emergency. Check with your embassy for additional details.

Chapter 5 - Requests to Expedite Applications or Petitions

Benefit requestors may request USCIS to expedite the adjudication of their applications or petitions. USCIS considers all expedite requests on a case-by-case basis and generally requires documentation to support such requests. The decision to grant or deny an expedite request is within the sole discretion of USCIS.

Thank you all.

First, upon exit from the US without valid AP, her AOS application will be automatically abandoned. She must have AP to leave without abandoning the process.

With a K-1 visa and recent AOS application:

1) The validity of her visa (if not marked as such yet) is questionable.

2) Entry on a tourist visa with a recent AOS application is highly unlikely due to immigrant intent.

3) Entry on a tourist visa with intent to stay is fraud. That's why she had to get a K-1 visa in the first place....it allows you to enter with intent to stay.

Moving forward...

1) Try to expedite AP.

2) Hope for AP approval before that date.

3) Don't go. Or go but be willing to start over with a spousal visa (and likely not being able to visit the US in the meantime).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

*~*~*moved from “K-1 fiancé visa progress reports” to “working and traveling”*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

If she arrived here using K1, even though she held a B1/B2 visa, wasn't her B1/B2 visa stamped over as CANCELED WITHOUT PREJUDICE?

Not sure how it works for K1 applicants but I know if you have a B1/B2 visa and come in on a IR1/CR1 visa, it gets stamped over and basically makes it null and void.

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

SOP is to cancel any other NIV when issued a K visa. Although it is not technically required or automatically done...and I can think of at least a handful of cases where it has happened and people actually visited -> returned abroad -> came back with the K-1 fine.

The visa could have been canceled in the system and just nothing marked on the physical visa.

Either way, a tourist visa is not going to address any of the items she needs here. She needs AP to leave and return. Or if not, she will need to start over with a spousal visa if she exits without AP.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.