cutaepie

concerns about proof of income..

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I'm hoping to close the distance between my long distance partner and I sometime in the next year or so. the k1 visa seems to be the best option for us to start our life together, but I have concerns about how to prove my income. I've recently turned 21 but my health has kept me from being able to work. at this moment in time I'm looking to start a job for the first time.. my worry is that once I start a job I won't be able to prove my income adequately since I've never worked before this year and I've never filed taxes before.. if I make the required amount will I still be rejected for those reasons? I'm thinking of asking my parents if one of them would be willing to cosponsor. I want to handle the costs on my own, but maybe having one of them as a cosponsor will make being accepted more likely? any advice would be greatly appreciated, I just want to be with the person I love as soon as I can be 

They mostly care about your current income at the time of the interview and later at the adjustment of status (AOS). Not having filed taxes in your situation is understandable and you could just explain why you haven’t filed taxes. Just make sure your income is sufficient.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

i know that K1 visa will make you reunite with your partner faster, but it will cost more money later, so keep that in mind as you need to make sure you are ready for the next step later (as the new rules about the expenses for the adjustment status is getting expensive). are you guys thinking about other alternative??

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

you can get around income /history with a cosponsor.

the bigger issue, at least to me, and this is one i see FREQUENTLY, is how do you expect to support your fiance/spouse once they come if you have no income, or very little income? They will not be able to work for quite some time and youll still have to go through AOS which has a higher income requirement than the initial i134 for a k1 visa.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

On 8/4/2020 at 11:01 AM, cutaepie said:

I'm hoping to close the distance between my long distance partner and I sometime in the next year or so. the k1 visa seems to be the best option for us to start our life together, but I have concerns about how to prove my income. I've recently turned 21 but my health has kept me from being able to work. at this moment in time I'm looking to start a job for the first time.. my worry is that once I start a job I won't be able to prove my income adequately since I've never worked before this year and I've never filed taxes before.. if I make the required amount will I still be rejected for those reasons? I'm thinking of asking my parents if one of them would be willing to cosponsor. I want to handle the costs on my own, but maybe having one of them as a cosponsor will make being accepted more likely? any advice would be greatly appreciated, I just want to be with the person I love as soon as I can be 

Do you have a plan, and the resources of supporting the immigrant during the 6-8 months he/she cannot work once in the US, including providing health insurance?

Have you started to research the process thoroughly?  I recommend reading everything you can about it, including looking at the CR-1 option.

US immigration is very expensive, and very very slow.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.