Mattgz14

Upcoming I-751 & N400 Combo interview!! Advice needed!

19 posts in this topic

Hi People,

I have been on this forum on and off so I would consider any kind of comment would be helpful and useful for me.
I filed joint i-751 with my ex spouse back in December 2016.Things did not went well and we decided to Divorce and it  happened in May 2018.I let the USCIS know before receiving my divorce decree.We sent an amendment with my lawyer,divorce was finalized in may 2018,USCIS has sent me a RFE in July 2018 asking for my signature to switch the case in to a divorce waiver.But also on RFE it was saying that we don’t shared  commingled finances.They also stated that there was a huge wire(my parents send me money for me to purchase car) transfer on my bank statement,and my 2016 taxes were showing much less income.They asked me where is this money comes from.Me and my lawyer reviewed everything one more time and sent them a much better package in September explaining that transaction.10 days later our response to RFE(I’ll attach it here).My status changed it to We sent your case to your local field office for an interview I honestly know so many people has no evidence but they have been approved with a divorce waiver and without an interview,since then no action on i751.My office is Miami Field Offfice.When I went there for stamp.They told me that my case is there.So since there is no action on my i751 my lawyer advised me to file n400 under 5 year rule.Which I filed in December 2019.They scheduled me and n400 interview for March 2020 but unfortunately as all of you know its been cancelled due to Covid19.They rescheduled my interview for beginning of September.What should I do to get both interviews be done at the same time?cause in the interview letter it says that n400 interview no mentions about i751.My i751 is pending for almost 4 years.It’s been a disaster for me.I have been waiting for this process to finalize to so I can sure that I will be living here the rest of my life and start my new business with peace of mind.I’m having really hard time because of this waiting game.Mentally  is more though for me.My parents are also old.I couldn’t see them for a year.I need you guys advises what steps should I take or can I take to get this interview happened.Do you guys think if there is something wrong with my case since they went rough in that RFE letter.Any kind of comment will be appreciated!!also here is my rfe letter back in 2018IMG_6977.thumb.jpg.c5db17598bfc8425a65a1a2084c84563.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline

According to the above letter what you submitted for the initial I751 was completely insufficient and I can’t believe you actually paid a lawyer to submit documents that showed no relationship evidence whatsoever. They didn’t go rough in that letter- they did they job and pointed out you didn’t show evidence of a relationship. For your future knowledge, depending on the amount of money, you need to declare gifts to the IRS. 
Now that you filed a divorce waiver you wouldn’t need the commingling of a relationship for proof. Bring all the documents you submitted to the interview. You can’t request a joint ROC/N400 interview- they will either schedule it together or separately. It sounds as if it will be joint since you received notification of the N400- what has your lawyer advised? I hope the lawyer has followed up countless times during these 4 years. Have your documents and tell the truth, like always. Good luck with the interview.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Hello,

Thank you for your time to respond me,I provided these documents to them; and thats all I have.

I sent FPL bill(electric)under both names)(2 years )same address

direct tv bills, (under both names)(2 years) same address

7 affidavids,

40 new pictures(including our pics in nyc and vegas) and her and my families are in some of the pics

4 leases in total we stayed married for 5 years and all these leases under our names in the apartment

address change papers for both of us since we change apartments once a year

Joint Tax returns 2014-2015-2016-2017

her drivers license under the address we live and my drivers license is the same address

her work stubs under our address

car insurance under both names

health insurances covering 2 years under both names  

That’s all I have sent for response for RFE.I don’t know if this is a bad package.What’s your opinion about it?It’s all I have

by the way I didn’t get the IRS part cause my family helped me money with buying a car the money came in from my country.What does have to Irs do with it? 

6 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

According to the above letter what you submitted for the initial I751 was completely insufficient and I can’t believe you actually paid a lawyer to submit documents that showed no relationship evidence whatsoever. They didn’t go rough in that letter- they did they job and pointed out you didn’t show evidence of a relationship. For your future knowledge, depending on the amount of money, you need to declare gifts to the IRS. 
Now that you filed a divorce waiver you wouldn’t need the commingling of a relationship for proof. Bring all the documents you submitted to the interview. You can’t request a joint ROC/N400 interview- they will either schedule it together or separately. It sounds as if it will be joint since you received notification of the N400- what has your lawyer advised? I hope the lawyer has followed up countless times during these 4 years. Have your documents and tell the truth, like always. Good luck with the interview.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Mattgz14 said:

Hello,

Thank you for your time to respond me,I provided these documents to them; and thats all I have.

I sent FPL bill(electric)under both names)(2 years )same address

direct tv bills, (under both names)(2 years) same address

7 affidavids,

40 new pictures(including our pics in nyc and vegas) and her and my families are in some of the pics

4 leases in total we stayed married for 5 years and all these leases under our names in the apartment

address change papers for both of us since we change apartments once a year

Joint Tax returns 2014-2015-2016-2017

her drivers license under the address we live and my drivers license is the same address

her work stubs under our address

car insurance under both names

health insurances covering 2 years under both names  

That’s all I have sent for response for RFE.I don’t know if this is a bad package.What’s your opinion about it?It’s all I have

by the way I didn’t get the IRS part cause my family helped me money with buying a car the money came in from my country.What does have to Irs do with it? 

That information is much better than what you originally submitted (although affidavits don’t hold much weight) I will assume you submitted your divorce decree as well? Make sure you have that at the interview as well.

I was informing you that there is a gift tax.. if you receive a certain amount of money in a year you need to declare it on your taxes -it doesn’t matter where the money came from. If this amount was declarable, and you had declared it on your tax return, you would not have been questioned on the amount since it would have been declared on your taxes.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Adjustment of Status

EAD

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Just now, Luckycuds said:

That information is much better than what you originally submitted (although affidavits don’t hold much weight) I will assume you submitted your divorce decree as well? Make sure you have that at the interview as well.

I was informing you that there is a gift tax.. if you receive a certain amount of money in a year you need to declare it on your taxes -it doesn’t matter where the money came from. If this amount was declarable, and you had declared it on your tax return, you would not have been questioned on the amount since it would have been declared on your taxes.

Yes I submitted divorce degree as well.I don’t know if I’m paranoid but I will go there with my lawyer I just want to get done with this.I can’t start my business before this process ends.Do you think I have enough evidence to pass the interview.There is no question they can actually catch me off guard cause I have plenty of reasons to get divorce also my wife and her sister wrote me an affidavit letter after divorce.We didn’t get divorced in a bad condition.Things just didn’t work.Do you think those affidavits would be helpful? 

Timeline

Yes I submitted divorce degree as well.I don’t know if I’m paranoid but I will go there with my lawyer I just want to get done with this.I can’t start my business before this process ends.Do you think I have enough evidence to pass the interview.There is no question they can actually catch me off guard cause I have plenty of reasons to get divorce also my wife and her sister wrote me an affidavit letter after divorce.We didn’t get divorced in a bad condition.Things just didn’t work.Do you think those affidavits would be helpful? 

The letter from the ex and sister are positive for you . You can’t supply what you don’t have, right? You now have decent information to bring with you. Take a breath and study for the Naturalization test. Good luck.

Edited by Luckycuds

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Adjustment of Status

EAD

1 hour ago, Luckycuds said:

The letter from the ex and sister are positive for you . You can’t supply what you don’t have, right? You now have decent information to bring with you. Take a breath and study for the Naturalization test. Good luck.

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

**Moved from Covid-19 Discussion to US Citizenship General Discussion**

Необычные линейки на рабочий стол 

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF in Moscow* (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) 🇺🇸 Info about my DCF experience here and here

Spoiler

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia (USC + Russian husband) 👩‍❤️‍👨
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED.

I-90 GC Replacment (for Erroneous GC)

22-Jul-2017: GC arrives in the mail – error in middle name 😕

01-Aug-2017: Sent in I-90 online via website

05-Aug-2017: Biometrics scheduled

23-Aug-2017: Biometrics done @ USCIS office; told to keep GC!

16-Jul-2018: RFE for original card!! 🤬

31-Jul-2018: USCIS Appointment at local field office..

22-Aug-2018: Mailed GC back to USCIS in response to RFE

29-Aug-2018: GC received by USCIS

17-Sep-2018: Received CORRECTED GC in the mail! Finally!! 😂

📑 I-751 Removal of Conditions (Apr 2019-Oct 2019) 📝 Filed via mail, processed by MSC & passed interview

Spoiler

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Mar 2020-????) 🛂 Online filers note: Use INTERNET EXPLORER! Other browsers may not work!

Spoiler

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review*

??-???-????: TBA... 

*NOTE: Moved to another state in May.

27 minutes ago, Mattgz14 said:

@mindthegapI would like to get your opinion as well🙏🏼

F**ked if I know... I’m in the same position.

N-400 interview scheduled (at the start of 2019), cancelled on the day, promised a reschedule.

Still waiting, despite exhaustive follow ups.

Also: USCIS has NO business questioning your finances or lump sums of cash. They aren’t the IRS - that has zero relevance to your relationship. 

YOU CANNOT PROVIDE WHAT DOESN’T EXIST. 

CR1 / DCF (London): 2012 / 2013 (4.5 months from I-130 petition to visa in hand)

I-751 #1- May2015 [Denied]

Early May 2015 : I-751 Joint filing package sent fedex next day 09:00am from UK ($lots - thanks). 
May 2015: Notice of receipt/1yr extension received, dated day of receipt. This was forwarded to me outside the US, and no issues re-entering multiple times.
June 2015: Biometrics completed - walk in / argument, stressing proof of imminent travel and multiple prior inconvenient appointments & reschedules.
May 2016: Vermont Service Centre updated to processing May 2015 cases, therefore my case is now classed as outside normal processing time
May 2016: Service request sent (whatever that is) after calling to find out why I am still waiting after 12 months. Unable to tell me anything.
May 2016: Letter received in response, stating processing is on hold due to 'pending security checks' with no other information. Not helpful.
May 2016: (7am) - Infopass appointment for I-551 Stamp in passport.  (8am) - Returned to USCIS office for another I-551 stamp after realizing the dumbass put the expiry stamp as 2015 not 2017. Two entire passport pages wasted. Cheers. 

Oct 2016: Infopass appointment (not at local office). USCIS have sent my file to an overseas office, in a country that neither myself or my spouse have ever resided in. It has sat there untouched for five months. Why? Who knows. Internal query requesting urgent clarification is sent by USCIS officer.  
Oct 2016: An identical 'pending security check'  letter received, addressing precisely none of my or the immigration officers legitimate queries. 
Nov 2016: Infopass appointment: My file is now back in the US and at my local office...no other updates or progress. 
Jan 2017: Notification that an interview has been scheduled at a local office. Bizarrely still no RFE... 
Jan 2017: 2hr wait, then interview terminated before it began, due to moving my ID to another state 2 wks prior. New interview 'in a few months...maybe.'       Informed them that divorce proceedings are underway, but not finalised at this time. 
March 2017: An Interview was scheduled - marked as no-show as they didn't actually send out a notification of interview. FML 
April  2017: Filed an official complaint with the ombudsman, and have requested Senator & Congressman assistance - enough is enough. 
May 2017: Yet another infopass. No updates, interview of further progress. Still no response from Congressperson, Senator, or Ombudsman received. 
June 2017: 68 days after contacting them, the Ombudsman finally contacted USCIS. 'It may take up to 60 days to receive a response'.   
July 2017:  A follow up enquiry sent by Ombudsman to USCIS after receiving no response or action after 45 days. I am Jack's complete lack of surprise. 
August 2017: 60 days has come and gone with no response from USCIS. Contacted the Ombudsman who will contact them AGAIN. 
August 2017: Email from Ombudsman - USCIS have scheduled an interview at the very end of August .  
August 2017: Interview - switched to a (finalised) divorce waiver. Told that decision will be made that afternoon, but no problems foreseen with my case. 
September 2017: Now 4 weeks since interview, my file has not moved from the officers desk, and no decision is showing when I call and speak to a Tier 2.  
September 2017: Request filed for Senator assistance (a different senator - maybe I will get a reply & assistance from this one?). 
October 2017: 37 days since interview....and no decision.  W, and indeed, TF is going on???? 
October 2017: Letter of Denial received - reason given as 'I-751 petition was not properly filed'. Discovered ex-spouse made false allegations to USCIS

I-751 #2 - Oct 2017 [Pending] 

October 2017: Within 72hrs of receiving denial notice, a new waiver I-751, divorce decree & $680 cheque, sent to Vermont via FedEx overnight 9am priority.  

October 2017: I-797C Receipt/extension letter received, dated day of receipt at VSC 

October 2017: Another I-551 stamp obtained at infopass appointment, as the extension letter is useless with a 2yr card that expired 2.5yrs ago! 

November 2017: Biometrics completed (early walk-in) 

N-400 Feb 2018 [Pending] 

February 2018: N-400 filed online.  $725 paid to the USCIS paperwork wastage fund

February 2018: Biometrics completed (walk-in)

Mid - February  2019: N-400 Interview - unable to conduct, as pending I-751 was still in Vermont, despite case transfer notice having been received.

Mid 2019: Filed request for Senator & Ombudsman assistance. Both unable to help. Treat.

Dec 2019: Filed FOIA request for full A# file

Feb 2020: FOIA request completed - entire A# file received as a .PDF; 197 pages fully redacted, and 80 partially redacted. Don't waste your time!

Thank you for your response.I got my date for 4th of September but it says it is for n400 so my question is;  it likely to be an combo interview’?if not is there anything I can do to get this both done at the same time.I’m so frustrated mate.Waiting game never ends

Thank you for your response.I got my date for 4th of September but it says it is for n400 so my question is;  it likely to be an combo interview’?if not is there anything I can do to get this both done at the same time.I’m so frustrated mate.Waiting game never ends

9 minutes ago, mindthegap said:

F**ked if I know... I’m in the same position.

N-400 interview scheduled (at the start of 2019), cancelled on the day, promised a reschedule.

Still waiting, despite exhaustive follow ups.

Also: USCIS has NO business questioning your finances or lump sums of cash. They aren’t the IRS - that has zero relevance to your relationship. 

YOU CANNOT PROVIDE WHAT DOESN’T EXIST. 

On 8/4/2020 at 3:26 AM, Luckycuds said:

Completely and utterly wrong.  If you are going to give tax advice, you should try and be correct.

As the receiver of the gift, you do not have to report or pay gift taxes.  The donor is required to file and pay the gift tax if the gift is over the donor's exclusion amount.

USCIS has other reasons to ask about the gift other than IRS tax compliance.  Which is the case, as they have no filing requirement. 

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Talako said:

Completely and utterly wrong.  If you are going to give tax advice, you should try and be correct.

As the receiver of the gift, you do not have to report or pay gift taxes.  The donor is required to file and pay the gift tax if the gift is over the donor's exclusion amount.

USCIS has other reasons to ask about the gift other than IRS tax compliance.  Which is the case, as they have no filing requirement. 

Thank you, clearly I was not aware as other family members have then provided me incorrect advice; I didn't realize it was the donor who had to pay the tax. My thinking was if the OP had a significant sum of money deposited into their account and it was reflected on the tax return itself then this wouldn't have been questioned/came up. But clearly since it doesn't have to be reported on taxes I was incorrect. 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Adjustment of Status

EAD

On 8/7/2020 at 5:44 AM, Talako said:

On 8/7/2020 at 6:03 AM, Luckycuds said:

Thank you, clearly I was not aware as other family members have then provided me incorrect advice; I didn't realize it was the donor who had to pay the tax. My thinking was if the OP had a significant sum of money deposited into their account and it was reflected on the tax return itself then this wouldn't have been questioned/came up. But clearly since it doesn't have to be reported on taxes I was incorrect. 

@luckycuds and other 'opinionated" members is the reason I stopped taking this site seriously. Its a bunch of personal, malformed opinions recycled repeated as advise.

Seriously people, check original sources before giving your nonsensical advice on taxes and immigration 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.