Ash zaheer

US consulate Islamabad reopening

3,012 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Lexushim said:

https://pk.usembassy.gov/message-for-u-s-citizens-limited-resumption-of-appointments-for-u-s-citizens/ 
"the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad and U.S. Consulates General in Lahore and Karachi will resume limited in-person passport appointments and notarial services beginning on Tuesday, September 8, 2020.  Appointments will be scheduled based on prioritized service needs"

So apparently not resuming routine visa appointments... still...? 😕

That link doesn't provide update on visa appointments because it's only talking about American Citizen Services unit.

2 hours ago, Lexushim said:

https://pk.usembassy.gov/message-for-u-s-citizens-limited-resumption-of-appointments-for-u-s-citizens/ 
"the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad and U.S. Consulates General in Lahore and Karachi will resume limited in-person passport appointments and notarial services beginning on Tuesday, September 8, 2020.  Appointments will be scheduled based on prioritized service needs"

So apparently not resuming routine visa appointments... still...? 😕

So they can resume passport appointments but not visa appointments? Such BS smh 

3 hours ago, Thunder93 said:

So they can resume passport appointments but not visa appointments? Such BS smh 

Why?  The primary purpose of US embassies overseas is to provide services to American citizens abroad.  It makes sense that limited resources would be used on a priority basis.  I'm sure the Pakistan embassy in Washington, DC has the same priority to assist Pakistani citizens.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Why?  The primary purpose of US embassies overseas is to provide services to American citizens abroad.  It makes sense that limited resources would be used on a priority basis.  I'm sure the Pakistan embassy in Washington, DC has the same priority to assist Pakistani citizens.

Yes it is, but what about family of US citizen living apart from them. They must be considered priority as well because they are immediate relatives of US citizen.

57 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

The whole purpose of canceling visa services was because of COVID. People going in for their passport appointments aren’t impacted by COVID? 

I’m a US citizen and this doesn’t make sense to me

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Thunder93 said:

The whole purpose of canceling visa services was because of COVID. People going in for their passport appointments aren’t impacted by COVID? 

Exactly!! This is what i was thinking..

35 minutes ago, Thunder93 said:

American Citizen Services unit being higher priority than IV unit actually makes sense. It's also a step towards eventual re-opening of the other units.

Timeline
On 9/1/2020 at 10:47 PM, Lexushim said:

I wanted to ask did you have the covid test at the Pakistan airport? I am planning to visit Pak next month... so wanted to know the safety procedures airlines/airport had...?

There’s no requirements from US to Pakistan. But from pakistan, you must get a Covid-19 teat 72h prior to your travel

Timeline
7 hours ago, AtifM said:

There’s no requirements from US to Pakistan. But from pakistan, you must get a Covid-19 teat 72h prior to your travel

For every airline or only Qatar?

17 hours ago, Ash zaheer said:

Yes it is, but what about family of US citizen living apart from them. They must be considered priority as well because they are immediate relatives of US citizen.

Embassy services to USCs worldwide is prioritized over any services to applicants for immigrant visas.  I am sorry if that does not make sense to you.

16 hours ago, Thunder93 said:

Because the sheer volume of USCs passing through the embassy for emergency or routine assistance is way less than the volume of visa applicants.   Also, like I mentioned above, with COVID limiting resources (i.e. embassy staff who have been evacuated back to the US), it means decisions had to be made about how to allocate the resources that remained.

Edited by Jorgedig

Timeline

At first I was pretty hopeful that the embassy would resume in September. This is kind of positive that they are beginning something actively. I've seen expedites that have been processed and have contacted NVC - they indicated the embassy can still process expedites based on emergencies. If not, I guess we are all on the waiting boat. I hope things get better and we can all go back to normal. 

5 hours ago, IFK said:

I've seen expedites that have been processed and have contacted NVC - they indicated the embassy can still process expedites based on emergencies.

That is correct. In July, Islamabad issued 30 IR-1 visas and 15 CR-1 visas: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Immigrant-Statistics/MonthlyIVIssuances/JULY 2020 - IV Issuances by Post and Visa Class.pdf In July, Islamabad issued 2 K-1 visas: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/MonthlyNIVIssuances/JULY 2020 - NIV Issuances by Post and Visa Class.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.