E_pluribus_unum

Public Charge Rule Final Rule (Good news for filers on or after July 29)

32 posts in this topic

The lawyer is ready to submit our file tomorrow for my husban's AOS, and she called us an hour ago to let us know about the i-944 injunction.  The lawyer says that if we don't want to submit the i-944 and supporting documents, it will take more days to arrange again the file.

In our case, my husband was employed in H1B1 but was laid off, and has never applied or received public benefits.  I have a good income (hopefully will not get lay off in the next months, because the institution I work for has a budget issue :( ).

I don't see that including the i-944 form or his financial info will hurt his case.  Do you think we can just leave it there and it will be ignored anyway?

I have the impression that the injunction was placed for petitioners that needed to use medicaid or go into stamps because the covid emergency,  and that it will negatively affect their case.

So based on this article I found that USCIS was rejecting cases postmarked before Feb 24, 2020, for not having i-944, even though their guidelines said it didn't apply to cases before that date, we will better keep the i-944 form and support documents the lawyer has ready to submit in our case.

https://www.boundless.com/blog/uscis-rejects-green-cards-public-charge-rule/

7 hours ago, chiquitabanana said:

Do you think we can just leave it there and it will be ignored anyway?

"In the interim, USCIS will not reject any Form I-485 on the basis of the inclusion or exclusion of Form I-944" https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/public-charge/injunction-of-the-inadmissibility-on-public-charge-grounds-final-rule

8 hours ago, chiquitabanana said:

So based on this article I found that USCIS was rejecting cases postmarked before Feb 24, 2020, for not having i-944, even though their guidelines said it didn't apply to cases before that date, we will better keep the i-944 form and support documents the lawyer has ready to submit in our case.

https://www.boundless.com/blog/uscis-rejects-green-cards-public-charge-rule/

I was one of them I got an rfe even though I Filed on February 22nd

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I filed my I-944 together with AOS June 30, does that mean it’s just gonna be ignored? Or does it only apply to people that filed on or after June 29? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
22 minutes ago, LaraAndEric said:

I filed my I-944 together with AOS June 30, does that mean it’s just gonna be ignored? Or does it only apply to people that filed on or after June 29? 

It is July, not June

4 hours ago, PackersGn said:

I was one of them I got an rfe even though I Filed on February 22nd

The same thing happened to me. 

We postmarked (i.e. filed) on February 22nd without the I-944, as stated by the USCIS rule. 

We received an RFE in June for the I-944 and an updated I-485. 

The RFE was sent because USCIS didn't mark the package as "received" until February 28th. Super annoying. 

We spent a month preparing the I-944 documents and sent it a few weeks ago. 

Now this confusing injunction comes down. 

I don't know whether I-944's that have already been filed with applications are still being considered, or whether the injunction applies only to applications made on/after July 29th. In other words, if you already filed for AOS with I-944, is USCIS discarding your I-944 in adjudicating your case?

It would be weird to have to respond to an RFE for the I-944 if it's not being considered.

USCIS/USPS/the US government in general is moronic. We followed the rules and filed before I-944 was required, got an RFE anyway, and spent a month replying to that RFE only for the form requested to be tossed out by the courts. Could be worse, I guess.

Edited by cbro20

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hey guys,

People keep questioning whether or not USCIS will still consider an already submitted I-944 and if an I-944 needs to be submitted. The following is text from the injunction announcement:

For applications and petitions that USCIS adjudicates on or after July 29, 2020, pursuant to the SDNY injunction, USCIS will not consider any information provided by an applicant or petitioner that relates to the Public Charge Rule, including information provided on the Form I-944, or information on the receipt of public benefits in Part 5 on Form I-539, Part 3 on Form I-539A or Part 6 on Form I-129. Applicants and petitioners whose applications or petitions are postmarked on or after July 29, 2020, should not include the Form I-944 or provide information about the receipt of public benefits on Form I-485, Form I-129, or Form I-539/I-539A.

This means that if a decision has yet to be made on your application and you have already submitted an I-944, USCIS will ignore the I-944 when making the decision for as long as the injunction is in effect. If the injunction is overturned down the road and a decision has yet to be made on your application, USCIS will resume normal review and include the I-944 in its final decision.

USCIS will issue guidance regarding the use of affected forms. In the interim, USCIS will not reject any Form I-485 on the basis of the inclusion or exclusion of Form I-944, nor Forms I-129 and I-539 based on whether Part 6, or Part 5, respectively, has been completed or left blank.

This means you do not need to send the I-944. Honestly, if I were filing around this time and just found out about this, I would choose not to do the I-944 as it took me a lot of time and money. 

With regard to USCIS rejecting applications postmarked before the original Final Rule came into effect, the article uses the term "Erroneous". Meaning they did not reject on purpose but had overlooked postmarked dates. I am sure this may happen with a few of these as well. Remember, USCIS uses contractors for their intake and they are not always accurate in their intake process. 

I guess it comes down to preference. You can choose to take this injunction as a helping hand and not have to go through the trouble of the I-944 or still go through all of the trouble

My current Timeline:

June 9, 2020 - Form I-130 filed electronically through USCIS.gov

June 10, 2020 - Form I-130 Accepted

June 11, 2020 - Form I-130 I-797 PDF available for download with priority date of June 9, 2020

June 16, 2020 - Mailed I-485 packet* along with I-131 and I-765

June 18, 2020 - USPS confirms packet delivered

July 20, 2020 - Credit Card charged

July 27, 2020 - I-797 letters received for I-485, I-765, and I-131 with a received date of June 18, 2020

August 10, 2020 - Notice of RFE for I-485 mailed. 

August 13, 2020 -  Red RFE notice received via mail. Notice requested proof of residence for 864A sponsor. 

August 13, 2020 - Mailed RFE response to USCIS**

August 17, 2020 - USPS confirms that RFE response was delivered

August 18, 2020 - USCIS Notification confirming receipt of response for RFE

September 24, 2020 - Received I-693 Deficiency Notice

January 19, 2021 - Form I-130 Approved and notice sent to beneficiary with notice available immediately online

January 22, 2021 - Form I-130 Approval Notice received by mail

January 29, 2021 - Biometrics notice received for the I-485 and I-765 dated for February 17. 2020 at 1pm

February 17, 2021 - Code 3 Biometrics taken for I-485 and I-765. Case updated to show biometrics applied to both I-485 and I-765 the same night. 

February 18, 2021 - I-485 case status changed to "Ready to be scheduled for interview" 

April 19, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "New Card is Being Produced"

April 20, 2021 - I-765 and I-131 case status changed to "Case was approved"  

April 22, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

April 23, 2021 - Approval notices received for I-131 and I-765 via mail

April 23, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "Card Was Picked Up By The United States Postal Service" with a delivery date set to Monday, April 26, 2021, by 9:00 PM

April 26, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office" and card picked up in mail box

April 29, 2021 - Visit to Social Security Administration for SSN Card

May 4, 2021 - SSN Card arrives in the mail 

December 20, 2021 - Send I-765 and I-131 Renewal via FedEx

December 22, 2021 - I-765 and I-131 Renewal received in Chicago

December 30, 2021 - I-797 notice received for I-765 and I-131

May 24, 2022 - AOS Interview Sacramento

May 26, 2022 - Status updated to "New Card is being produced" Green Card Approved. 

*Packet was mailed without I-693 medical. Will wait for an RFE and take it to the interview. Also, tax transcripts were not available at the time so copies of the tax returns were sent and a cover letter explaining why. 

**Included tax transcripts in RFE response since I was now able to gain access since sending the application. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
22 minutes ago, cbro20 said:

We postmarked (i.e. filed) on February 22nd without the I-944, as stated by the USCIS rule. 

The RFE was sent because USCIS didn't mark the package as "received" until February 28th. Super annoying. 

I don't know whether I-944's that have already been filed with applications are still being considered, or whether the injunction applies only to applications made on/after July 29th. In other words, if you already filed for AOS with I-944, is USCIS discarding your I-944 in adjudicating your case?

It would be weird to have to respond to an RFE for the I-944 if it's not being considered.

USCIS/USPS/the US government in general is moronic. We followed the rules and filed before I-944 was required, got an RFE anyway, and spent a month replying to that RFE only for the form requested to be tossed out by the courts. Could be worse, I guess.

I saw somewhere that USCIS made errors in regards to this situation and were supposed to be sending letters out with instructions if this happened to you and the file was indeed sent before the February deadline. Unfortunately most people have already corrected the Rejections etc and refiled with the new form and I944.. I would be upset if I fell into this category. Wasted time and effort😔

1 hour ago, LaraAndEric said:

does that mean it’s just gonna be ignored?

"As long as the July 29, 2020, SDNY decision is in effect, USCIS will apply the 1999 public charge guidance"

35 minutes ago, cbro20 said:

In other words, if you already filed for AOS with I-944, is USCIS discarding your I-944 in adjudicating your case?

Assuming the injunction is still in effect when they adjudicate the I-485, then they won't consider the I-944.

Filed: Other Timeline

The injunction will remain in effect as long as COVID-19 is considered a "national health emergency". The injunction may be overturned later.

I learned the hard way, I hope YOU don't have to. Advice: learn, learn, learn.

21 hours ago, cbro20 said:

Exactly I don’t know how they can come up with rules and don’t even follow them it’s so annoying and frustrating. We had file before the rule goes into effect just to get an RFE . My lawyer responded to the RFE last month by sending receipt showing it was postmarked on February 22nd and the updated I-485. 

Timeline
On 7/31/2020 at 4:11 PM, laylalex said:

Fantastic! I had started pulling our stuff together for the I-944 for when we file later this year, and it was a complete headache in terms of financials. 

I know this sucks for everyone who fell in the window where it was necessary though. :( 

Aha, I am among those...I even received an RFE for it, EVEN THOUGH I was not subject to it (Application submitted before effective date of the law)...Go figure!

- Feb 22 2020 - Mailed Application (I-130, I-845....) to Chicago

- April 22 2020 - NOA 1

- June 1 2020 - RFE for I-944

- June 24 2020 - Replied to RFE

- Oct 25 2020 - Fingerprint done

- Nov 9 2020 - Case ready to be scheduled for interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.