laylalex

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez denounces 'sexist slur by congressman'

51 posts in this topic

I was sort of waiting to see if anyone on here was going to address this, since AOC seems to attract a lot of attention on here. :rolleyes: But since it hasn't:

What happened in the incident?

Ms Ocasio-Cortez said she was entering Congress to vote when Mr Yoho, a Florida congressman, and Texas Congressman Roger Williams approached her as they departed the chamber.

She said he called her "disgusting" and said "you are out of your freaking mind" in what a reporter who also witnessed the incident called a "brief but heated exchange" about recent comments Ms Ocasio-Cortez made about crime being linked to poverty.

Ms Ocasio-Cortez - a member of the so-called "squad" of young female Democrats - said she told him he was being "rude".

Then, as Mr Yoho walked away, he was overheard by reporters using an extreme swear word and calling Ms Ocasio-Cortez a "b****".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53521143

There was a reporter from The Hill there who confirmed what Yoho said: https://thehill.com/homenews/house/508259-ocaasio-cortez-accosted-by-gop-lawmaker-over-remarks-that-kind-of 

58 minutes ago, laylalex said:

I was sort of waiting to see if anyone on here was going to address this, since AOC seems to attract a lot of attention on here. :rolleyes: But since it hasn't:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53521143

There was a reporter from The Hill there who confirmed what Yoho said: https://thehill.com/homenews/house/508259-ocaasio-cortez-accosted-by-gop-lawmaker-over-remarks-that-kind-of 

and ?

11 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

and ?

Do you have any thoughts about whether you thought Yoho acted appropriately? Was AOC right in saying just because he has daughters and a wife that doesn't automatically make him a decent guy who would never use such words?

Just some ideas. Usually AOC topics get people talking.

23 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Do you have any thoughts about whether you thought Yoho acted appropriately? Was AOC right in saying just because he has daughters and a wife that doesn't automatically make him a decent guy who would never use such words?

Just some ideas. Usually AOC topics get people talking.

I think he should have walked out of the reporters ear shot before telling his buddy what he thought of her. If he really did.

3 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

I think he should have walked out of the reporters ear shot before telling his buddy what he thought of her. If he really did.

Well, there is a reporter on the record who said he spoke the profanities. AOC said she wasn't even planning to make an issue of it -- she's heard similar and worse before and brushed it off in other circumstances -- until the report came out and Yoho not only denied it, he said he would never have said it because he's a dad and a husband. 

But it's not only that he called her a f-bomb-ing you-know-what, it's whether it's appropriate to tell her to her face that she's disgusting and out of her mind right on the steps of Congress. That's not appropriate workplace behavior, not by a long shot. 

9 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Well, there is a reporter on the record who said he spoke the profanities. AOC said she wasn't even planning to make an issue of it -- she's heard similar and worse before and brushed it off in other circumstances -- until the report came out and Yoho not only denied it, he said he would never have said it because he's a dad and a husband. 

But it's not only that he called her a f-bomb-ing you-know-what, it's whether it's appropriate to tell her to her face that she's disgusting and out of her mind right on the steps of Congress. That's not appropriate workplace behavior, not by a long shot. 

She has said her fair share of inappropriate things also

1 minute ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

She has said her fair share of inappropriate things also

Has she called people disgusting to their faces at work? I mean, that's a genuine question. I don't know. Not just "this action is disgusting" but "you're disgusting"? 

1 minute ago, laylalex said:

Has she called people disgusting to their faces at work? I mean, that's a genuine question. I don't know. Not just "this action is disgusting" but "you're disgusting"? 

So you think I am disgusting? Lol you might get agreement from some. It has been told to me some think I am a snake and backstabber. But not to my face so its good😃

3 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

So you think I am disgusting? Lol you might get agreement from some. It has been told to me some think I am a snake and backstabber. But not to my face so its good😃

No, no, no! Oh no! I mean, has AOC called anyone disgusting on the floor of the House, on the Capitol steps, in a work environment, etc.

I think you're just fine and I have been singing your praises on your COVID19 stance to Al. :) You are undisgusting, in my experience. :P 

8 minutes ago, laylalex said:

No, no, no! Oh no! I mean, has AOC called anyone disgusting on the floor of the House, on the Capitol steps, in a work environment, etc.

I think you're just fine and I have been singing your praises on your COVID19 stance to Al. :) You are undisgusting, in my experience. :P 

I knew what you meant, just playing. I just dont understand why the Corona thing has to be so controversial 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

on the other hand - would there be this much concern if there is some validity to the statement?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

1 hour ago, Ban Hammer said:

on the other hand - would there be this much concern if there is some validity to the statement?

I guess here's where I stand on it:

He can certainly think she's a blankety blank, but if he gets called out on saying that about her within earshot of others, he should actually own up to it. He shouldn't point to his wife and daughters and say "oh, I'd never do that because of them" because that old canard gets played all the time. Just because a man is married or has kids doesn't mean he doesn't think or say these things. Yoho should just say, yes, I said these things and I apologize. People can disagree without being awful about it. I understand that tempers can run hot in politics, and I'm not saying we should cancel Ted Yoho because of this. A real apology, or saying you know what? I don't apologize at all would both be fine stances to take here. 

4 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Such as what? Disclaimer, inappropriate doesn't mean things you disagree with, it means truly inappropriate, such as cussing out someone you work with. 

Disrespecting Jews by calling the detainees at the border the holocaust