Suze1

Updating SSA Record after Naturalization - By Mail

46 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Suze1 said:

Just spoke with someone at the Social Security Administration in our area outside Tampa, FL.

The SSA Representative confirmed that they are NOT having any face-to-face meetings with customers at this time (are not booking any appointments and are not accepting any walk-ins; only online services are possible).

Updating your SSA record after naturalization is, however, NOT one of the online services available at this time

The Representative said that we CAN update our record by mail by sending in the SS-5 Form directly to his office, along with the original naturalization certificate OR passport, and they will process it for us.

He said to send it with USPS tracking,  give it a week or so to arrive, and then call in to verify that they had received it.

He said they will then verify the information over the phone with us, update the record,  and then return the original documents we sent.

He said we could expect to get it back in a few weeks.

So, at least that might be a way to proceed.

Since we have no idea when this covid-driven lockdown will end.

Thank you for this information. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Suze1 said:

Just spoke with someone at the Social Security Administration in our area outside Tampa, FL.

The SSA Representative confirmed that they are NOT having any face-to-face meetings with customers at this time (are not booking any appointments and are not accepting any walk-ins; only online services are possible).

Updating your SSA record after naturalization is, however, NOT one of the online services available at this time

The Representative said that we CAN update our record by mail by sending in the SS-5 Form directly to his office, along with the original naturalization certificate OR passport, and they will process it for us.

He said to send it with USPS tracking,  give it a week or so to arrive, and then call in to verify that they had received it.

He said they will then verify the information over the phone with us, update the record,  and then return the original documents we sent.

Prior to sending my application for my passport, I did thought of updating first my Citizenship Status at SSA. I have called the local SSA office in my city and were been advised same as what been advised to you. The lady that I spoke with said, if I'm not in a hurry, I can wait 'till the office reopens. She told me that there is no bearing even if my citizenship will be updated later.

Also with DMV, since my DL is still valid, the staff that I spoke with, told me since my DL was already a REAL DL ID, there is no problem if I update my citizenship on the due time for renewal of DL, to avoid paying the fee for DL ID.

This is my 2 cents.

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

Filing type: Online

Service Center: National Benefit Center

Local Field Office: San Bernardino CA

Date Filed N400: 06/2019

Biometrics Appt.: 07/2019 (25 days)

Interview Date: 01/2020 (6.5 months)

Oath & naturalization: 06/2020 (11.5 months)

:joy:Finally & Officially a U.S. Citizen! :dancing:

1 hour ago, ME_RHEDZ77 said:

Prior to sending my application for my passport, I did thought of updating first my Citizenship Status at SSA. I have called the local SSA office in my city and were been advised same as what been advised to you. The lady that I spoke with said, if I'm not in a hurry, I can wait 'till the office reopens. She told me that there is no bearing even if my citizenship will be updated later.

Also with DMV, since my DL is still valid, the staff that I spoke with, told me since my DL was already a REAL DL ID, there is no problem if I update my citizenship on the due time for renewal of DL, to avoid paying the fee for DL ID.

This is my 2 cents.

Excellent!

Yeah, we are thinking the same. Maybe wait till they do face-to-face. There is no penalty for waiting.

Same with DMV - Already have unrestricted Real ID, so nothing there either.

We feel ya...no pressure to act now, but at least we have an option.

So, as usual, we are in total agreement...lol.

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

2012 - US Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

2012 - First Night spent in the US - Waikiki Beach, Honolulu

2016 - Wedding on the beach, Honolulu, Hawaii

2016 - Honeymoon at the hotel in this photo, Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

2016 - US Spousal Visa, via DCF, Manila, Philippines

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2007 - Visited Philippines on vacation

2008 - Got a condo in Makati, PH

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

06/2011 - Met Spouse in Makati, Philippines

01/2012 - B1/B2 Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

10/2016 - Married in Hawaii

11/2016 - Filed for Spousal Visa DCF, in Manila, Philippines

12/2016 - POE, CR-1 Status Received

10/2018 - ROC I-751 Received by USCIS

10/2019 - Filed for Citizenship, N-400

03/2020 - Citizenship Ceremony

8 minutes ago, lucardo3 said:

Sending original Naturalization Cert. to SSA sounds very dangerous tbh.

hee hee..."dangerous"...NO...VERY dangerous....hee hee

Yeah, doing so DOES come with SOME RISK...particularly in a big city....smile

For us, the office is around the corner...could probably mail it from the same actual post office that is the one for the local SSA Office.

And we would try to make sure that they/somebody would be responsible for paying for a new one if lost or stolen...with tracking.

But, I hear ya...

Edited by Suze1

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

2 minutes ago, Suze1 said:

hee hee..."dangerous"...NO...VERY dangerous....hee hee

Yeah, doing so DOES come with SOME RISK...particularly in a big city.

For us,the office is around the corner...could probably mail it from the same actual post office that is the one for the local SSA Office.

And we would try to make sure that they/somebody would be responsible for paying for a new one if lost or stolen...with tracking.

But, I hear ya...

Yeah, no I`m in Atlanta and there is no way i am sending that piece of paper to them lol

4 minutes ago, lucardo3 said:

Yeah, no I`m in Atlanta and there is no way i am sending that piece of paper to them lol

I hear ya.....hee hee hee hee

Kinda want to take it to them personally, and drop it through the mail slot, or under the door...

Makes me wonder why they can't merely accept a nice copy...since they have to verify the info on their system anyway....

More bureaucratic nonsense ...and state-sponsored inconvenience....

Edited by Suze1

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Suze1 said:

Excellent!

Yeah, we are thinking the same. Maybe wait till they do face-to-face. There is no penalty for waiting.

Same with DMV - Already have unrestricted Real ID, so nothing there either.

We feel ya...no pressure to act now, but at least we have an option.

So, as usual, we are in total agreement...lol.

Hahaha! Definitely total agreement buddy!!.. :dancing::dance:

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

Filing type: Online

Service Center: National Benefit Center

Local Field Office: San Bernardino CA

Date Filed N400: 06/2019

Biometrics Appt.: 07/2019 (25 days)

Interview Date: 01/2020 (6.5 months)

Oath & naturalization: 06/2020 (11.5 months)

:joy:Finally & Officially a U.S. Citizen! :dancing:

20 hours ago, Suze1 said:

I spoke with someone at my local (NJ) office and was told the same stuff too. However, I learned from this group that updating the SSN was the least important thing to do and could probably wait till after everything opens up or even much later. I registered to vote and will be applying for my passport today. Updating the DL is not a priority either. I will happily wait till the lockdown ends. No way am I sending my cert to any of these guys through mail. If I had a choice, I wouldn't send it along with my passport application either, but that's a no brainer :(

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/22/2020 at 6:06 AM, RunTheRoad said:

I spoke with someone at my local (NJ) office and was told the same stuff too. However, I learned from this group that updating the SSN was the least important thing to do and could probably wait till after everything opens up or even much later. I registered to vote and will be applying for my passport today. Updating the DL is not a priority either. I will happily wait till the lockdown ends. No way am I sending my cert to any of these guys through mail. If I had a choice, I wouldn't send it along with my passport application either, but that's a no brainer :(

I agree 100% with you.....I was not sure if i register to vote and not update my record on SSN/and or DMV would have any problem...but your statement helped me to realize that this could probably wait till after everything opens up and I'm going to register to vote soon without updating SSN record  :) Thank you though.

Yeah, we also decided to wait.

And, given the current USPS situation...nah...can DEFINITELY WAIT.

Already have an unrestricted REAL ID drivers license. Am already registered to vote, and confirmed it. We are good...for a WHILE!

Edited by Suze1

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
On 8/21/2020 at 9:29 PM, Suze1 said:

Yeah, we also decided to wait.

And, given the current USPS situation...nah...can DEFINITELY WAIT.

Already have an unrestricted REAL ID drivers license. Am already registered to vote, and confirmed it. We are good...for a WHILE!

I faced a similar dilemma .. I am eligible for Medicare soon and the only way I could apply was by sending my actual Green Card and birth certificate to them by post. Oh boy did I have some anxious moments. I used USPS priority mail with signature tracking .. and included a prepaid return Priority envelope already addressed. Thankfully all went well. I called the office after I saw that it was delivered .. they are all working  remotely so no one could actually “ see” it .. but she emailed the agent who was working on it and it was in the return envelope later that day. All enrolled and the GC safely tucked away again .  Phew ! 

Edited by Lil bear

@Lil bear Sweet! You had to do what you had to do...and it all worked out. Good for YOU!

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.