Noor8888

The Backlog of US Embassies & Consulates

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Iraq
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I am a Special Immigrant Visa applicant from Iraq. As some of you know, the embassy in Baghdad has shut down at the beginning of 2020 for security reasons (not the COVID 19 issues). The US embassy in Baghdad informed us to transfer our cases to different US embassies or consulate outside Iraq. Therefore, I moved my case to the US embassy in Jordan, and then my case became documentarily completed on January 31, 2020. Since then, I received nothing neither from the US embassy nor form NVC. Now, I started to worry that there might be a backlog at the US embassy in Amman, and it was a mistake to transfer my case there.

My questions are: -

1) - Is there any way to know whether the US embassy in Amman has a large backlog compared to other US embassies or consulates?

2)- Comparing the demand on the US embassies of the countries:- Jordan, Turkey, Qatar, UAE, Lebanon, and Egypt, which one do you think have the least demand and schedule interviews faster than others?

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

At this point, I think it is safe to assume there is a significant backlog at every consulate.........we won't really know to what degree until the process starts moving again.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

At this point, I think it is safe to assume there is a significant backlog at every consulate.........we won't really know to what degree until the process starts moving again.

In normal situation, is there any ways to know which embassies out of those i mention has more/less backlog than the other? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Noor8888 said:

In normal situation, is there any ways to know which embassies out of those i mention has more/less backlog than the other? 

You could look at portal timelines for a specific consulate for a rough idea of the time between NAO2 and interview dates.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Why don't you contact Amman embassy and see the status of your case? SIV is on the list that can still be processed. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
10 minutes ago, milimelo said:

Why don't you contact Amman embassy and see the status of your case? SIV is on the list that can still be processed. 

That's what I received from Amman:-

"Thank you for your immigrant visa inquiry. In order to comply with the Jordanian Government's announcement on March 17, 2020 to limit the spread of COVID-19, U.S. Embassy Amman has suspended routine consular services. Routine services will resume as soon as possible, but we are unable to provide a specific date at this time. Please continue to monitor the embassy website for our current operating status (https://jo.usembassy.gov/) and contact us again once we have returned to normal operations. We look forward to assisting you at that time. "

Also, I have a new issue which is I can't travel to Amman in case my interview is scheduled becuase of the COVID-19 travel restriction. However, I can travel to Turkey.  

SIV and some other immigrant visas are now mission critical (from 6/12) and they should process those. You need to get in touch with Amman to move your case to Turkey (Ankara?) and get in touch with Turkey to start your case for processing. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
2 hours ago, milimelo said:

SIV and some other immigrant visas are now mission critical (from 6/12) and they should process those. You need to get in touch with Amman to move your case to Turkey (Ankara?) and get in touch with Turkey to start your case for processing. 

Turkey still isn't open for interviews. 

24 minutes ago, HKS said:

Turkey still isn't open for interviews. 

Routine visas are suspended. SIV and others like IR1/CR1 are mission critical and can be organized. As long as medical can be done visa can be issued.  OP needs to find out if the medical can be done to process the SIV. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
1 hour ago, milimelo said:

Routine visas are suspended. SIV and others like IR1/CR1 are mission critical and can be organized. As long as medical can be done visa can be issued.  OP needs to find out if the medical can be done to process the SIV. 

I understand that; however, I contacted Turkey and they told me that they are not open to do anything but emergency interviews. IR1/CR1 and SIV are not emergency. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
7 hours ago, Noor8888 said:

That's what I received from Amman:-

"Thank you for your immigrant visa inquiry. In order to comply with the Jordanian Government's announcement on March 17, 2020 to limit the spread of COVID-19, U.S. Embassy Amman has suspended routine consular services. Routine services will resume as soon as possible, but we are unable to provide a specific date at this time. Please continue to monitor the embassy website for our current operating status (https://jo.usembassy.gov/) and contact us again once we have returned to normal operations. We look forward to assisting you at that time. "

Also, I have a new issue which is I can't travel to Amman in case my interview is scheduled becuase of the COVID-19 travel restriction. However, I can travel to Turkey.  

Why change?  by the time the embassy open ,  the travel restrictions will be lifted/  there is no way for one to happen without the other

17 hours ago, milimelo said:

Hey, are the CR1/IR1 spousal visas considered as “mission critical” also??

5 hours ago, Daria Parkinson said:

Hey, are the CR1/IR1 spousal visas considered as “mission critical” also??

Yes, they are. I believe NVC is now starting to schedule appointments for those for end of July and later (depending on local circumstances at post of course). 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

• Captain Ewok changed the title to The Backlog of US Embassies & Consulates
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline
On 7/1/2020 at 2:08 PM, Noor8888 said:

I’m in Qatar ..I got DQ in 16th June and still my status at ceac shows At NVC .. embassy at  Doha Qatar Are still not scheduling any interviews !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.