goldhex

K1 Visa Issuance Affected by EO after all?

163 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 minutes ago, In4theJourney said:

That’s the way I read it too, there will be no k1 processing until the EO is over for London.  Which means next year, if that’s “good news” for you guys, then it’s good for you. I myself don’t see anything positive about that 

Incorrect. K1s will be processed once routine visa services resume, which is not based on the EO expiration. It’s based on the Department of State and when they decide to resume

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Sarahbmalvin said:

There is no EO for London. The only EO for London is the travel ban which doesn’t have a set end date. It could be tomorrow or it could be next year along with the other EOs. They are in no way related. 

it seems like you guys think you know what’s going on, but in reality you don’t. There’s all kinds of language to the contrary ie, Only  spouses/children but a k1 is a fiancé, not immediate family member. I get it, it’s confusing and beyond frustrating but I go by what the actually embassy is disclosing in emails like this (various) as nothing official has been said about a k1. 

K1/2's not impacted by the EO that covers certain immigrant and now some non immigrant visas.  Green cards are not impacted by that EO or any other

Travel from, and transit thru certain countries are banned by another EO.  If you have a visa you can go to a country not banned.

When consulates reopen expect they will be handling the immigrant CR1/2, IR1/2/4, IH4 visas first as they are considered mission critical.   K1 and other non immigrant visa will be handled latter.   Look at the Jamaica announcement.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

18 minutes ago, Sarahbmalvin said:

Right they are significantly restricted in what they can process while routine services are suspended. 

The visas they stated in the email are defined as emergency or mission critical by the PP which is why they are able to be processed.

There are plenty of other types of visas, along with K1, that are also deemed as routine and are not being processed. 

This x1000.

IMO this thread should be locked as I think all that needs to be said about this has been said. All that will happen now is the potential for misinformation to spread from posts like the 2nd one above. 

Also, if a mod wants to change my title of the thread to "K1 Visa Issuance Not Affected by EO after all?" that would be useful I think :D 

Edited by goldhex

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
3 minutes ago, In4theJourney said:

it seems like you guys think you know what’s going on, but in reality you don’t. There’s all kinds of language to the contrary ie, Only  spouses/children but a k1 is a fiancé, not immediate family member. I get it, it’s confusing and beyond frustrating but I go by what the actually embassy is disclosing in emails like this (various) as nothing official has been said about a k1. 

I guess we’ll all find out eventually. It doesn’t seem like you are receiving a visa from London anyway so maybe your process is different but this is the consensus across this topic and forum. Good luck. 

Sorry posted the wrong link!   This is about the discussion about Jamaica providing consular services for mission critical visas.

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

K1/2's not impacted by the EO that covers certain immigrant and now some non immigrant visas.  Green cards are not impacted by that EO or any other

Travel from, and transit thru certain countries are banned by another EO.  If you have a visa you can go to a country not banned.

When consulates reopen expect they will be handling the immigrant CR1/2, IR1/2/4, IH4 visas first as they are considered mission critical.   K1 and other non immigrant visa will be handled latter.   Look at the Jamaica announcement.

Atleast for Mexico, if you are a LPR, your application is on hold, even for IR/CR. Only USC’s are going to be processed. If by any chance it’s the same for k1, you’d have to be a USC to get your petition rolling. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, goldhex said:

This x1000.

IMO this thread should be locked as I think all that needs to be said about this has been said. All that will happen now is the potential for misinformation to spread from posts like the 2nd one above. 

Also, if a mod wants to change my title of the thread to "K1 Visa Issuance Not Affected by EO after all?" that would be useful I think :D 

You got something official stating that? By something official, I mean the US government, not a immigration attorney. Who is misleading who now ? 

3 minutes ago, In4theJourney said:

Atleast for Mexico, if you are a LPR, your application is on hold, even for IR/CR.

There is no such thing as IR/CR for an LPR.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

6 minutes ago, In4theJourney said:

Atleast for Mexico, if you are a LPR, your application is on hold, even for IR/CR. Only USC’s are going to be processed. If by any chance it’s the same for k1, you’d have to be a USC to get your petition rolling. 

Correct - Only a US Citizen can file a K1 or CR1/2 or IR1/2.  Those will be eligible for issuance.   

An USC IR5 visa petition for a parent, adult children, brother, sister, etc and and LPR visa petition would still be processed by USCIS and NVC but the consulate can not issue a Visa based on the EO.

Edited by Paul & Mary

7 minutes ago, In4theJourney said:

You got something official stating that? By something official, I mean the US government, not a immigration attorney. Who is misleading who now ? 

5 hours ago, goldhex said:
1 hour ago, goldhex said:

Routine visa processing isn't suspended due to an EO, it's due to the embassy being closed. 

From the US Embassy Website:

Is the U.S. Embassy in London closed/Has my visa interview appointment be cancelled?

In response to significant worldwide challenges related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Department of State has temporarily suspended routine visa services at all U.S. Embassies and Consulates.

Timeline
6 hours ago, Sarahbmalvin said:

The silver lining being that it seems like the only thing holding K1 visas back from being processed is the routine services being suspended, they are not affected by any of the proclamations. The embassies are phasing back into operating so once they are fully phased back in the processing should start again. 

Given we are able to schedule appointments and dates have been moving in real-time it seems as though there is some kind of plan in place at least. 

Again, I struggle with this explanation differentiating between process restrictions due to routine service interruption independent of the EO because the email from. the. embassy. states that the IVU is severely restricted DUE TO the Proclamation, not due to routine service interruption on behalf of COVID19 considerations.  This suggests that interviews won't resume until something changes with the Proclamation or until the embassy changes their mind on the interpretation of said proclamation. 

We have been able to schedule our K1 interview three different times online only to have them all canceled later, as have many others.  Some people have been able to reschedule for their original date or sooner, I don't think the ability to reschedule alone suggests much about whether these interviews will go on as planned, just as the past scheduled ones haven't. 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Ermehgerdd said:

Again, I struggle with this explanation differentiating between process restrictions due to routine service interruption independent of the EO because the email from. the. embassy. states that the IVU is severely restricted DUE TO the Proclamation, not due to routine service interruption on behalf of COVID19 considerations.  This suggests that interviews won't resume until something changes with the Proclamation or until the embassy changes their mind on the interpretation of said proclamation. 

We have been able to schedule our K1 interview three different times online only to have them all canceled later, as have many others.  Some people have been able to reschedule for their original date or sooner, I don't think the ability to reschedule alone suggests much about whether these interviews will go on as planned, just as the past scheduled ones haven't. 

Okay well there is really no point going back and forth on this. I guess everyone just need to accept that it will be interpreted different ways by different people. I hope for all of our sakes it is the lesser of the two evils and we are all out of this mess and back on our way soon. Good luck! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The only interpretation that matters is the one by the DOS.  Once routine visa services resume a clarification in the FAM will most likely occur so that all consulates worldwide do it the same. 

Due to routine visa services still being down, the effect of the EO on anything doesn't yet matter so no interpretation has been needed 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

On 6/20/2020 at 12:34 PM, geowrian said:

They don't fit most cases, but surely it's not unreasonable that 1 person could qualify.

I agree. For example, that K-1 couple from Austria could have had a newborn child and the US citizen parent was eligible to transmit US citizenship to the child. Exception from Subsection 2(a)(iii): "any alien who is the parent or legal guardian of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident is unmarried and under the age of 21"

The K-2 could have been an unrelated case where the US citizen married the K-1 holder in the US and the K-2 was follow-to-join. Exception from Subsection 2(a)(v): "any alien who is the child, foster child, or ward of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, or who is a prospective adoptee seeking to enter the United States pursuant to the IR-4 or IH-4 visa classifications" Very strong precedent for stepchild of US citizen to be considered as "child" of US citizen.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspension-entry-immigrants-nonimmigrants-certain-additional-persons-pose-risk-transmitting-2019-novel-coronavirus/

image.png

Edited by HRQX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.