m17122018

DV and F1 visa

51 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hello!!! 

I hope someone can help me out with this:

Turns out I won the DV Lottery for this year and, obviously, I just found out today. But I was admitted to a master's program in the US a few months ago (beginning Fall 2020) as an International Student.

I have no idea how long it can take for the DV lottery to get processed and I was wondering if I can still apply for an F1 and begin my masters while I wait for the greencard??

Thank you all so much

Given the school could start (or not) in August and they can’t start issuing DV visas before October 1, F1 would be common sense. You’d then have to watch your DV number and go AOS route. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

You can apply for the F1 - but bear in mind there is a chance they may not give it to you as you would effectively be entering the US on a non immigrant visa with intent to stay and adjust status (the process for getting a green card if you are already in the US).  I think you should apply for the F1 as soon as embassies reopen just so you have some certainty. 

On the timeline - DV2021 visas will be issued between October 2020 and September 2021. Your case number will determine where in the queue you end up.  Suggest, if you have not already, that you browse the britsimonsays website as there is a lot of information about the DV process, it can be a little confusing to get your head around at first.

1 hour ago, milimelo said:

Given the school could start (or not) in August and they can’t start issuing DV visas before October 1, F1 would be common sense. You’d then have to watch your DV number and go AOS route. 

dont think he will get F1 considering he has DV lottery. You cannot immigrate on an Non immigrant visa 

duh

Timeline
1 hour ago, milimelo said:

39 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

You can apply for the F1 - but bear in mind there is a chance they may not give it to you as you would effectively be entering the US on a non immigrant visa with intent to stay and adjust status (the process for getting a green card if you are already in the US).  I think you should apply for the F1 as soon as embassies reopen just so you have some certainty. 

On the timeline - DV2021 visas will be issued between October 2020 and September 2021. Your case number will determine where in the queue you end up.  Suggest, if you have not already, that you browse the britsimonsays website as there is a lot of information about the DV process, it can be a little confusing to get your head around at first.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ANSWERS!!!!

My case number is really low so will that be an issue?? the visa bulleting for July is not out yet so I do not know if I will be in for Europe, I was about to fill my DS260 (to be honest I don't even know if I can actually fill it out yet) as soon as the visa bulletin came out. But then I can't get the F1???

I am so extremely confused and overwhelmed right now so thank you so much for your help

2 minutes ago, m17122018 said:

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ANSWERS!!!!

My case number is really low so will that be an issue?? the visa bulleting for July is not out yet so I do not know if I will be in for Europe, I was about to fill my DS260 (to be honest I don't even know if I can actually fill it out yet) as soon as the visa bulletin came out. But then I can't get the F1???

I am so extremely confused and overwhelmed right now so thank you so much for your help

Think of what is more important to you. If you really want a green card - deferring your masters for a year is not such a big price to pay (especially given the concerns over how fall classes will be taught amid covid). (If you have a low number and can do a spring start on your masters that would probably be ideal, but not sure how many schools do a spring start like that).

Once you have submitted a DS260, you have signaled immigrant intent.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

To get approved for an F1 student visa, you must prove that you intend to leave the US after finishing your program.  An F1 student visa is a non-immigrant visa and you must have non-immigrant intent to get one.

You can not use an F1 student visa to wait in the US for your green card.  Wanting a green card is evidence that you have immigrant intent.

You will have to make a choice.  It's not possible to have everything you want.   Delay your education and enroll after you get green card.  Nothing's guarantee so you will be taking your chances with the DV lottery.  

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline
24 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Think of what is more important to you. If you really want a green card - deferring your masters for a year is not such a big price to pay (especially given the concerns over how fall classes will be taught amid covid). (If you have a low number and can do a spring start on your masters that would probably be ideal, but not sure how many schools do a spring start like that).

Once you have submitted a DS260, you have signaled immigrant intent.

What worries me is that I got a Teaching Assistantship ad I do not know if they will let me keep it.

23 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

To get approved for an F1 student visa, you must prove that you intend to leave the US after finishing your program.  An F1 student visa is a non-immigrant visa and you must have non-immigrant intent to get one.

You can not use an F1 student visa to wait in the US for your green card.  Wanting a green card is evidence that you have immigrant intent.

You will have to make a choice.  It's not possible to have everything you want.   Delay your education and enroll after you get green card.  Nothing's guarantee so you will be taking your chances with the DV lottery.  

Even if I have a low case number, I could still not get the GC?

21 minutes ago, m17122018 said:

What worries me is that I got a Teaching Assistantship ad I do not know if they will let me keep it.

Even if I have a low case number, I could still not get the GC?

It would be highly unusual to not get a DV visa with a low case number. Not everyone understands the process well.  What is your case number btw? 
There is currently a ban on DV visa issuance. May or may not be extended after 23 June. No need to rush the DS260 till you see where this stands. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

1 minute ago, m17122018 said:

My case number is in the mid 6 thousands. So fingers crossed!!

For EU? Yes, that’s low. Historically this kind of number would have usually interviewed December/January.

10 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

May or may not be extended after 23 June.

To be precise 11:59 PM EDT on 04/23 plus 60 days is 11:59 PM EDT on 06/22

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/04/27/2020-09068/suspension-of-entry-of-immigrants-who-present-a-risk-to-the-united-states-labor-market-during-the

5 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Ok, 1 minute before 23 June. Unlikely to make a practical difference to anyone.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.