m17122018

DV and F1 visa

51 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
30 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

For EU? Yes, that’s low. Historically this kind of number would have usually interviewed December/January.

Okay so, you would recommend waiting to see what happens on June 23rd and then fill the DS260? That won't affect my chances of having the interview as early as possible right??

And, again, million times thank you for you help

1 minute ago, m17122018 said:

Okay so, you would recommend waiting to see what happens on June 23rd and then fill the DS260? That won't affect my chances of having the interview as early as possible right??

And, again, million times thank you for you help

It might if your case number was low enough for an October interview, but I don’t think that’s the case.  If the EO is extended beyond August, then I’d say don’t fill it in yet as you won’t know when or if you can actually get a DV green card, and go for the F1. As time goes on after you start studying you can then judge whether or not you’ll be able to get a green card depending on developments later.

If the EO is not extended- can’t say your preference but this is what I’d do - defer the masters admission and get the green card first.

Bear in mind also advantages to having a green card while you’re a student. More funding options, ability to work freely rather than the usual F1 restrictions, etc. If you do defer you can also move to the US when you get your green card (you won’t have the one month F1 restriction either) and depending on your financial situation, you can either start working to help fund your college fees, or take a few months you might not get otherwise to travel round the US a bit. 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

It might if your case number was low enough for an October interview, but I don’t think that’s the case.  If the EO is extended beyond August, then I’d say don’t fill it in yet as you won’t know when or if you can actually get a DV green card, and go for the F1. As time goes on after you start studying you can then judge whether or not you’ll be able to get a green card depending on developments later.

If the EO is not extended- can’t say your preference but this is what I’d do - defer the masters admission and get the green card first.

Bear in mind also advantages to having a green card while you’re a student. More funding options, ability to work freely rather than the usual F1 restrictions, etc. If you do defer you can also move to the US when you get your green card (you won’t have the one month F1 restriction either) and depending on your financial situation, you can either start working to help fund your college fees, or take a few months you might not get otherwise to travel round the US a bit. 

It is still pretty low without having to rush anything, so I guess that is great. Maybe they could even still give me the Assistantship as a resident (now I have it but as an international student)

To get it approved, do I need to show proof of income or proof of savings? Sorry for all the questions, this is overwhelming and I haven't been able to fing actual answers to some of the questions.

What reasons could get it denied?

Thank you for the millionth time

2 minutes ago, m17122018 said:

It is still pretty low without having to rush anything, so I guess that is great. Maybe they could even still give me the Assistantship as a resident (now I have it but as an international student)

To get it approved, do I need to show proof of income or proof of savings? Sorry for all the questions, this is overwhelming and I haven't been able to fing actual answers to some of the questions.

What reasons could get it denied?

Thank you for the millionth time

I’d suggest you spend some time on the britsimonsays website. There is a lot of information about the process and answers to the types of questions you’re asking on there.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I’d suggest you spend some time on the britsimonsays website. There is a lot of information about the process and answers to the types of questions you’re asking on there.

I am still going through it (it is a great resource, thank you for sharing). It is a very overwhelming process

Edited by m17122018

Timeline
45 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Sorry. I sent it twice

Edited by m17122018

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
2 hours ago, m17122018 said:

What worries me is that I got a Teaching Assistantship ad I do not know if they will let me keep it.

Even if I have a low case number, I could still not get the GC?

Congrats on that teaching assistantship! I am currently studying with one. Where are you going to study?

Timeline
6 hours ago, juancarlos said:

Congrats on that teaching assistantship! I am currently studying with one. Where are you going to study?

I am just worried they won't let me defer OR won't let me take it if I am not an International Student. I will go to MS

We applied for DV2021 but by God's plan this was not our year. 

I am Indian born in India and my wife is Indian born in UAE.

My wife is qualified from an eligible country by birth but I was not born or having citizenship from an eligible country. We applied for my wife as principle applicant and as a husband of person from eligible country i too applied. Will that be a reason for rejection or is it allowed to do when we apply for next DV lottery? 

Edited by Jixon
For more clarification

3 hours ago, Jixon said:

We applied for DV2021 but by God's plan this was not our year. 

I am Indian born in India and my wife is Indian born in UAE.

My wife is qualified from an eligible country by birth but I was not born or having citizenship from an eligible country. We applied for my wife as principle applicant and as a husband of person from eligible country i too applied. Will that be a reason for rejection or is it allowed to do when we apply for next DV lottery? 

It’s allowed for you to use her country of birth. This is called cross-chargeability. 

Timeline

For anyone wondering: 

Given the new requirement for the DV lottery where you have to include your passport number, I am most likely going to get my F1 denied if I choose to apply. 
This happened to someone I met through this forum around February. 

1 hour ago, m17122018 said:

For anyone wondering: 

Given the new requirement for the DV lottery where you have to include your passport number, I am most likely going to get my F1 denied if I choose to apply. 
This happened to someone I met through this forum around February. 

I dispute that. Someone speculating about a denial. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

I dispute that. Someone speculating about a denial. 

It’s not speculation, it happened to her at the embassy in Madrid (which is not a complicated one).
The reason they gave her was that it couldn’t be proved she had intention of going back to her country. 
Because of the passport number requirement, it automatically shows you have entered the DV Lottery. That visa is to immigrate and stay. You wouldn’t enter the lottery if you didn’t have intentions/thoughts/etc of moving permanently to the US. 
To qualify for a non immigrant visa such an F1, you need to declare that you have no intention whatsoever or staying in the country afterwards in any way, that you do intend to return to your home country (or at least leave the US) once you’re done.

Obviously a lot of other factors come into play but, for them, if you have expressed your want of moving permanently to the US, you cannot also declare your intent of not staying. It creates more than enough reason for them to doubt your intentions and deny it. 

21 minutes ago, m17122018 said:

It’s not speculation, it happened to her at the embassy in Madrid (which is not a complicated one).
The reason they gave her was that it couldn’t be proved she had intention of going back to her country. 
Because of the passport number requirement, it automatically shows you have entered the DV Lottery. That visa is to immigrate and stay. You wouldn’t enter the lottery if you didn’t have intentions/thoughts/etc of moving permanently to the US. 
To qualify for a non immigrant visa such an F1, you need to declare that you have no intention whatsoever or staying in the country afterwards in any way, that you do intend to return to your home country (or at least leave the US) once you’re done.

Obviously a lot of other factors come into play but, for them, if you have expressed your want of moving permanently to the US, you cannot also declare your intent of not staying. It creates more than enough reason for them to doubt your intentions and deny it. 

Entering a lottery is not immigrant intent. 20 million people a year enter. Many of them have no problem getting an immigrant visa. Facial recognition picked up entrants long before passport numbers. People have mentioned before having discussed DV entries in their successful non immigrant visa interviews. On the other hand a lot of F1 applications get denied  with never having entered the lottery. It’s amazing what people come up with as reasons. I have no doubt she was denied under 214b, that’s common, or that they MSt have discussed DV, but just entering a lottery is not sufficient for that finding. Obviously as you already said there must have been other factors. Maybe the DV discussion was a lead-in to see what else she planned ...

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.