Zaraliaya

Flying to the USA from Canada

75 posts in this topic

I'm heartbroken. My husband just crossed the land border with his truck to go back down to Tennessee. He brought some of our household items with him that we wouldn't be able to take on a plane, as well as a few of my belongings that I want to have with me when I move there. They gave him a lot of trouble about bringing my stuff after I have DQ. I am also planning on flying down on the 23rd and staying until only August 12th. The border agents told him that if I come I'll most likely get turned away and if that happens they will reject my green card petition. Does anybody have any idea if this is true? I don't understand because I know of plenty of people who have traveled to the US after getting DQ. I'm wondering if maybe this is a scare tactic, or if it actually holds some truth. I read on this board somewhere that getting rejected at the border wouldnt affect one's petition, but now I wonder if they were just uninformed.

46 minutes ago, Prairiegirl3 said:

I read on this board somewhere that getting rejected at the border wouldnt affect one's petition, but now I wonder if they were just uninformed.

A withdrawal of application for admission won't impact a IR-1/CR-1.

If it's an expedited removal instead, that is an issue requiring an I-212 waiver.

4 minutes ago, HRQX said:

A withdrawal of application for admission won't impact a IR-1/CR-1.

If it's an expedited removal instead, that is an issue requiring an I-212 waiver.

What is an expedited removal? 

7 minutes ago, Prairiegirl3 said:

What is an expedited removal? 

If before receiving the Immigrant Visa you try to visit the US and CBP refuses entry (based on their suspicion of immigrant intent) and doesn't provide the option to withdraw the application for admission, then CBP can do expedited removal per the following:

Intending Immigrant [INA § 212(a)(7)(A)(i)(I)] – This is the most common ground of inadmissibility applied under INA § 212(a)(7). Any foreign national who seeks to enter the U.S. and remain here permanently, or who is suspected of seeking to enter the U.S. and remain here permanently, but who does not have the proper documents to demonstrate that s/he has authorization to do so, is inadmissible.

1 minute ago, HRQX said:

If before receiving the Immigrant Visa you try to visit the US and CBP refuses entry (based on their suspicion of immigrant intent) and doesn't provide the option to withdraw the application for admission, then CBP can do expedited removal per the following:

Intending Immigrant [INA § 212(a)(7)(A)(i)(I)] – This is the most common ground of inadmissibility applied under INA § 212(a)(7). Any foreign national who seeks to enter the U.S. and remain here permanently, or who is suspected of seeking to enter the U.S. and remain here permanently, but who does not have the proper documents to demonstrate that s/he has authorization to do so, is inadmissible.

Thank you. I wonder if the border agents recommended this on my file and that's they told my husband I would be rejected. ugh so many unknowns. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Tips for flying to the US:

Research your airports arrivals and destinations to see if your flight is a regularly scheduled and try book accordingly. 

For example: you can book west jet flights to LAX, but they are only doing one flight from Calgary a week or something like that. So research the major airports and airlines. 

I just went thru customs in Vancouver and I was the only one at the time. They asked how long I was staying, what my occupation was and what my purpose was. I didnt have to submit a customs declaration or anything either. If anyone has further questions, feel free to pm me.

Legally your things cant move before you do.  Your husband's household items can move.  He's a usc.  Thats why your having these scare tatics and issues. Im sorry for the added stress. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

14 hours ago, NikLR said:

Legally your things cant move before you do.  Your husband's household items can move.  He's a usc.  Thats why your having these scare tatics and issues. Im sorry for the added stress. 

Ooh I didn't realize this. Man I wish we had looked into that a little bit more before we decided to do that. Thanks for the info

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
On 6/24/2020 at 4:22 PM, Prairiegirl3 said:

Has anyone flown into the US from Vancouver? I’m considering doing so at the end of July but am nervous if they’ll let me through. 

I did flew from Vancouver to Dallas on July 4th with American Airline. It went super smooth, here are some details to help you feel better about it.

First I am a French citizen, living/working in Canada with a Working Holiday Visa/Temporary Work Permit. So I am not a Canadian citizen (was worried they let only Canadians pass the border). 

Before I went to the airport, I printed few documents (especially the US document enclosed stating the restriction isn't applicable to air travels - that version is the one applicable until July 21st), just in case, but I didn't use them.

When I checked in online the previous night, they asked me if I had traveled to Europe/UK/China/etc (= the restricted countries for US) or if I was feeling sick. Nothing else special at that point.

My flight was one of the first one on the morning. So I was one of the first to go to customs. 

Usually we have to use the machines to take finger prints/picture before talking to the agent, but with the virus we are back to the old way: they check stuffs on their computer, they ask questions, take pictures/finger prints. 

Here are the questions:

- What is the purpose of your trip ? (meeting my fiancé)

- How long are you staying in US ? (no return flight ticket asked - but asked the precise date, I guess it was showing on his computer)

- When was the last time you went to US ? 

- Did you stay in Canada all the time since your last trip to US ?

- What is your destination and who's is the address filled in when you checked in (my fiancé's)

- Asked to confirmed I didn't checked in any luggage (only had a carry on)

And that was it !

He didn't mention anything about the covid-19, my K-1 visa request or the fact I couldn't get married while over there.

As always with custom's agents: be honest, patient and respectful and it will be fine :) 

20062432.pdf

Edited by Lance&Ceci
Attachement added

On 7/5/2020 at 5:45 PM, Dobbie said:

I should specify that I would resign from my job prior to have the chance to stay with her for four months. I have savings to do it and I don't have any payments to make other than my phone, which the initial contract has been paid off for.

I am also worried that quitting my job would cause issues at the interview and/or on my DS-160 form. The latter was submitted in January though. Would I need to update it? Or has someone else done this during the wait and has been ok?

I did this last year and though I was heavily questioned by the border agents at the airport, I was let through just fine. I had quit my job thinking I would get my K-1 within 6 months, so decided to just to go the US and be with my fiancé as a tourist (since as a Canadian I can stay up to 6 months). The border agent asked me so many questions: where will I stay (with my fiancé), how will I pay for myself (saving plus my fiancé could support me), do I have a job in Canada (no but I don't need one and have plenty of money to support myself), do I own a house in Canada (no as I was living with my parents at the time - I left my apartment after we got engaged because I knew I'd be moving to the States soon). I agree and understand that my case looked very suspicious to the CB agent but I answered all questions honestly. I even told him flat out "I know the rules for immigration and have applied for the K-1 to do everything legally. I eventually will be immigrating, but not now on this trip". 

I think the key when visiting a fiancé in the US is to say VISITING. Many people say "going to live with"  and this signals intent to immigrate.

Also, you are automatically granted a 6 month visa when entering. It is up to you not to overstay your days within the year. If you booked a 2 week vacation now, but your plans happened to change, you are allowed to stay in the US up to (but not more than) 6 months minus one day... think about it ;) 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

**Hijack post and reply to said post removed.**

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• 2 months later...
On 6/24/2020 at 11:05 PM, Prairiegirl3 said:

Thank you! That is really good to know. I'll be flying to Memphis so I always expect to have at least one layover (I'm from Saskatchewan). 

Can you give me the name of the group? I've searched for FB groups and had no luck finding anything relevant. Thanks! 

Can I be added to that group too, please and thank you. Canadian here, looking to travel to US.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 9:46 AM, dlmb said:

I flew from Ottawa to Pennsylvania on May 1st to visit my fiance and returned May 17. I flew American Airlines and told customs I was visiting my fiance, that I knew I had to self isolate for 14 days and that I had been working from home since Mar 24 (which I have been). On those conditions, he "granted me permission to enter the US" - his words.

Upon returning to Ontario last Sun, I've had one call from Public Health of Canada and 3 calls from the Ontario Ministry of Health (2 missed, 1 talked to), to ensure I was adhering to the mandatory 14 day isolation.

Btw, I'm in the process of K1.

Did you have to show any proofs (employment letter to show you can work remotely) and were you taken to the secondary inspection? 

Also, did you have a return ticket? 

Where did you fly from?

Also, for remote work, did you have any trouble logging into your system/VPN from US?

I am in the process of planning my trip, after being denied. Now, I got a new job and even though its going to be remote, I am not sure if the employer has to know when I leave Canada. 

The reason I'm asking about proofs, is at the time of my denial they had asked me to bring proofs to show ties to Canada.

Thank you

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, Aichamia said:

Did you have to show any proofs (employment letter to show you can work remotely) and were you taken to the secondary inspection? 

Also, did you have a return ticket? 

Where did you fly from?

Also, for remote work, did you have any trouble logging into your system/VPN from US?

I am in the process of planning my trip, after being denied. Now, I got a new job and even though its going to be remote, I am not sure if the employer has to know when I leave Canada. 

The reason I'm asking about proofs, is at the time of my denial they had asked me to bring proofs to show ties to Canada.

Thank you

Hi there,

Since this post, I have flown 2 more times into the US from Montreal to Pennsylvania via American Airlines. My employer granted me permission to work via VPN while in the US; my fiance's internet is actually better than my Canadian internet...lol.

I always had a return ticket. And although documents were not requested on any of my 3 trips, I had with me copies: of utility bills, rent receipts, letter of employment confirmation, paystubs, and our K1 paperwork.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.