DeepakChani

Question on traveling to Canada

19 posts in this topic

I had a question about traveling to Canada and returning back to the US. I am a Canadian Citizen and have a green card for the US. I wish to travel back to Canada for 15 days next month and return back to the US. Will I be able to go to Canada and come back without any issues during this COVID-19 period? 

1 hour ago, DeepakChani said:

I had a question about traveling to Canada and returning back to the US. I am a Canadian Citizen and have a green card for the US. I wish to travel back to Canada for 15 days next month and return back to the US. Will I be able to go to Canada and come back without any issues during this COVID-19 period? 

You do realize that when you enter Canada you are required to quarantine for 14 days? 

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Non essential travel between the two countries is restricted. As a Canadian citizen they have to let you back into Canada but you can expect to be given a hard time when coming back 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don’t have an answer for you but I am in a similar situation. I am also a Canadian citizen and US permanent resident. I worry both about being allowed into Canada (I would have my US citizen infant daughter with me) and I worry about being allowed back in to the US. 

10 hours ago, WOODHIKER said:

You do realize that when you enter Canada you are required to quarantine for 14 days? 

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html

Yes, I realize that I would have to quarantine for 14 days. I plan to go home and visit my family only. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, DeepakChani said:

Yes, I realize that I would have to quarantine for 14 days. I plan to go home and visit my family only. 

I would also do the same if I could, just visit family and then be quarantined there anyway. I heard today that the border closure extension to June 21st is basically certain at this point :( I’m waiting to see if they come out with some exceptions for visiting family. 

Reminder that there is a DOS global level 4 travel advisory advising to avoid any international travel (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/travel-advisory-alert-global-level-4-health-advisory-issue.html). This is in additional to the "no non-essential travel" restrictions and quarantine procedures.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

10 hours ago, DeepakChani said:

The point of the quarantine is that you are isolated for 14 days before you can visit family. :( 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Update:contacted CBSA and CBP. CBSA says Canada Citizens can enter back into Canada. CBP said if you have a American Green Card, you can come back to the US. I think I am good as long as I quarantine for 14 days when I arrive.

• 4 weeks later...

Exclusive: Canada, U.S. set to extend border closure to end-July - sources

01/14/2020 - filed N400 Miami FL

01/18/2020 - NOA Biometric scheduled 

02/05/2020 - Biometrics done 

03/13/2020 - Interview scheduled - canceled due Covid19

08/19/2020 - Interview 

08/27/2020 - OATH Ceremony MIAMI FL 

Done with USCIS  !!!! Good luck everyone!

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello, has anyone travelled to Canada and back that can share their experience? My husband has several doctors appointments in Canada and so we are thinking he will have to quarantine in Canada for 14 days prior to his appointments. When he returns to the US, we are guessing he will have to quarantine here for 14 days. We are weighing the options to see if he should even bother right now. Any assistance is appreciated! 😊

7 hours ago, KBA said:

Hello, has anyone travelled to Canada and back that can share their experience? My husband has several doctors appointments in Canada and so we are thinking he will have to quarantine in Canada for 14 days prior to his appointments. When he returns to the US, we are guessing he will have to quarantine here for 14 days. We are weighing the options to see if he should even bother right now. Any assistance is appreciated! 😊

Just went to Canada by air on my Canadian passport, no questions asked beyond what is already asked, quarantined for 14 days (they call to confirm u are quarantining). Came back to the US using my GC. No questions asked and no quarantine required here. overall its doable. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
8 hours ago, DeepakChani said:

Just went to Canada by air on my Canadian passport, no questions asked beyond what is already asked, quarantined for 14 days (they call to confirm u are quarantining). Came back to the US using my GC. No questions asked and no quarantine required here. overall its doable. 

So, did they check up on you physically, or did they just call you like everyday?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Zaraliaya said:

So, did they check up on you physically, or did they just call you like everyday?

They can do both. My friend who arrived from Sweden the police came by twice during her quarantine. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.